LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Neuropathic pain - has anyone tried this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Neuropathic pain - has anyone tried this?
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this stuff & I'm wondering if it might help my dad. He has REALLY bad neuropathy.

Neuragen

It's homeopathic & I noticed that the first listed ingredient was Pelargonium spp.. I recall having done a whole thread on Pelargonium sidoides, but I don't know if that's the spp. that they are using.

I also don't recall having come across any studies on topical use.

Any input on positive/negative experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
[hi]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siciliano
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siciliano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AliG, thank you so much for this information. [hi]

I am very interested in this product and plan on calling my pharacist tomorrow to see if they carry it.

I suffer terribly from peripheral neuropathy due to lyme. I cannot stand for more than a minute, it is that bad.

Another thing to mention for ones suffering with foot pain....

My PCP had the idea to try using the Lidoderm patches that are used for post shingle pain...

I apply one to the bottom of my feet for 12 hours and keep them off for 12 hours, this is the standard practice.

They do help me very much sometimes and thought I would mention this for your father to try also.

Thank you again, I am eager to try ANYTHING!!

--------------------
I'm sorry but I am no longer accepting any private messages due to my own battle with lyme.

Posts: 3897 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lyme doc recommended Flex Cream to me for any type of body pain from lyme. He had lyme years ago and sometimes gets a little pain here and there. He said he uses it and it really works well.

Here's what Burrascano says about it:

"FLEX CREAM
This is an amazing liniment-like product that really works and has a money back guarantee. Use for any type of body pain- spread on a thick layer and do not rub in. It takes 30 to 60 minutes to work, then lasts many hours. A Pharmanex exclusive." (p.31)

If anyone tries it, I would be interested in hearing the results.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psr1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psr1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody use Neurontin? I have found it to be a lifesaver
Posts: 360 | From New York | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input on the Lidocaine patches, Flex Cream & Neurontin.

My dad passed Neurontin years ago. He was on the morphine patches (sorry, I can't remember what they were called right now) for a while, but had too many problems with them.

He's being maintained on Lyrica & Kadian, with Hydromorphone for break-through pain. It had been working very well, but he's been getting the break-through again nightly for a while now.

I think that's because he's had to reduce the Lyrica dose, due to side effects. [Roll Eyes] [Frown]

His neuropathy has gone passed just the feet. He gets pain from the waist all the way down.

Do we know what's in the Flex Cream? Is that a Mineral Ice or Tiger Balm type product?

(I just took a quick look at the ingredients on the Pharmanex website & I think it looks like it would work on the same premise of stimulating localized bloodflow. One of the major ingredients is menthol.)

I saw that the Neuragen was homeopathic & figured that was an avenue we hadn't tried yet.....

I guess I might have to do more research on it since it doesn't look like anyone here has tried it. Maybe I should do a search up top & see what I can find. I haven't tried that yet.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use the flex creme. FOR ME works for joint/ muscle pain but doesnt help my neruopathy pain.

neruontin and cymbalta keep neuropathy in check.

what he has sounds like "resistant- intractable neuropathy" that means severe nerve pain that is not controlled.

if lyrica was causing SE maybe should try cymbalta or new one out is stevella.

for a non-rx : we used Anodyne therapy with GREAT results for neruo. patients., below is the link

he may be able to give it a try if he could get homehealth out .. Physical Therapy will use the Anodyne... homehealth qualifiers are
1) homebound
2) Dr orders
3) skilled need: fall risk, new rx, pain mngt, neruopathy,etc.... all these can be a "skill" (need for RN or PT to help his health improve)

so... get ahold of his dr and ask for home therapy. or even out-patient therapy.. you may need to call around and find agency that has anodyne machine then ask his DR office to set yall up with THAT agency

most dr's have certain groups they prefer to work with .... if those groups dont have/use anodyne therapy you have the RIGHT to choose WHAT agency you want !!

medicare pays for home health in full.

hope that helps [Smile]

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry ment to post this link in above response:

http://www.anodynetherapy.com/

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MY3BOYS, where can I buy this Flex Creme?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the anodynetherapy and found it helped tremendously in the feet.

It was a pain for me to go 2-3 Xs a week but it works.

The place I went to closed recently...retirement.
my insurance actually paid.

I printed out coupon fot the neuragen. Haven't tried it yet. Will try it soon.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Neuragen briefly but just on a spot or two. I didn't really give it a fair try because my neuropathy (have had it for five years, still hasn't responded to any antibiotics or anti-malarials) is throughout my body.

I was afraid of using the Neuragen over my entire body, thought it might be too much of a dose in that case. But I may try again - maybe one leg or one foot just to see?

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on the Anodyne therapy, My3boys & dmc. [Smile]

I was very interested when I read on their website that there was a place very nearby my dad's home that did this.

I was reading on the website & got a bit confused by some of the info there. I then did a search on Pubmed, since they said there were studies.

This was the only study I found mentioning "Anodyne Therapy". It doesn't sound too encouraging. [Frown]

Diabetes Care. 2008 Feb;31(2):316-21. Epub 2007 Oct 31.
Does anodyne light therapy improve peripheral neuropathy in diabetes? A double-blind, sham-controlled, randomized trial to evaluate monochromatic infrared photoenergy.

Lavery LA, Murdoch DP, Williams J, Lavery DC.

Department of Surgery, Texas A&M University Health and Science Center College of Medicine, Scott and White Hospital, Temple, Texas, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: The purpose of this study was to determine the efficacy of anodyne monochromatic infrared photo energy (MIRE) in-home treatments over a 90-day period to improve peripheral sensation and self-reported quality of life in individuals with diabetes.

RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: This was a double-blind, randomized, sham-controlled clinical trail. We randomly assigned 69 individuals with diabetes and a vibration perception threshold (VPT) between 20 and 45 V to two treatment groups: active or sham treatment.

Sixty patients (120 limbs) completed the study. Anodyne units were used at home every day for 40 min for 90 days.

We evaluated nerve conduction velocities, VPT, Semmes-Weinstein monofilaments (SWM) (4-, 10-, 26-, and 60-g monofilaments), the Michigan Neuropathy Screening Instrument (MNSI), a 10-cm visual analog pain scale, and a neuropathy-specific quality of life instrument.

We used a nested repeated-measures multiple ANOVA design.

Two sites (great toe and fifth metatarsal) were tested on both the left and right feet of each patient, so two feet were nested within each patient and two sites were nested within each foot.

To analyze the ordinal SWM scores, we used a nonparametric factorial analysis for longitudinal data.

RESULTS: There were no significant differences in measures for quality of life, MNSI, VPT, SWM, or nerve conduction velocities in active or sham treatment groups (P > 0.05).

CONCLUSIONS: Anodyne MIRE therapy was no more effective than sham therapy in the treatment of sensory neuropathy in individuals with diabetes.

PMID: 17977931 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I find it odd that this was FDA approved, covered by insurance and I have two people telling me they found it helpful, yet there is somehow such a negative study on pubmed.

I'm REALLY confused now. I wonder if it might be helpful with the penetration of medications into the area or something like that, if no direct measureable benefit. ???

Jill, if you DO decide to give it a fair trial, PLEASE report back your experience. I'd love to get personal feedback on this, especially since it sounds like you might be much in the same boat as him. [Frown]

[group hug] hugs & prayers for all of you who are trying to find ways to deal with such horrible pain [group hug]

--------------------

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Pharmanex.com to buy the flex creme.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AliG,

that study was for "in-home" machine. I think doctor's office is stronger.

I also have the Rebuilder
http://www.rebuildermedical.com/

mine is the older foot bath version.

I got faster results with anodyne. Within 6 treatments pain was intermitant rather than constant.

Rebuilder took soooo long to get the pain to lesson. I wasn't in treatment for Lyme/Bart then.

I don't really have the pain no since the Tigecyl that's why the Neuagen sounds promising.

I thought the flex creme is for muscle/joint pain. Nerve pain is very different than my muscle pain.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Thanks dmc [Smile]

Maybe I should do some more research on that one. I didn't realize that they had more than one type of machine.

I found some talk about Neuragen on brain.hastypastry.net.

There are some people talking about Geranium oil being cheaper to buy on its own and possibly helpful to use diluted with a carrier oil.

Perhaps I should look into Geranium oil by itself & see what I come up with.

I use Lavender essential oil (for other purposes) as a body spray/aromatherapy mist, by mixing a small amount in a spray bottle with boiled(& cooled) purified water.

I wonder if the Geranium oil could be helpful if mixed into a similar spray. It would probably be easier to apply to the legs & feet.

I'm sure dad would never go for having to rub the oil all over himself. He doesn't have a whole lot of strength and would probably find that to be too much work to keep up with. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pain doc gave me several things to try:

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac sodium)

Desipramine (nerve pain)

Lidoderm patches

Amrix (muscle relaxer)

Ultram (extended release)

I take the Amrix at night because it makes me sleepy. She also suggested the magnesium oil, which I think I have seen mentioned here.

If you need more info just PM me.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zostrix PN is a new OTC salve with capsaicin plus lidocaine. It is designed especially for peripheral neuropathy. It is similar to regular Zostrix (capsaicin only, but without lidocaine added) which is used as an ointment or salve for arthritic pain.

You might have to ask the pharmacist to special order Zostrix PN for you because it is a very new product and you might not be able to find it on the shelf yet. Be sure to specify Zostrix "PN" -- which stands for peripheral neuropathy, of course.

Needless to say, regular Zostrix (without the added lidocaine contained in the special PN product) would be too irritating for sensitive skin otherwise.

Often, peripheral neuropathy is triggered by edema (tissue swelling), so anything that reduces edema such as a diuretic will also help to lessen the PN pain. Whenever there is tissue edema, especially in the feet, it irritates the endings of the nerve fibers, and that's what sets off the sensation of PN pain in the first place.

High blood sugar can induce PN pain also. In fact, PN pain might be the very first sign of the onset of Type 2 diabetes. Changing one's diet by severely reducing sugar or eliminating sugar altogether might be enough to bring the PN pain under control without the need for any of the stronger Rx pain relievers.

If so, then occasional bouts of tissue edema during warmer weather which can trigger PN pain will respond better to the application of a local "anesthetic" salve such as Zostrix PN if the diet is already sufficiently low in sugar in order to prevent the tendency to hyperglycemia.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

thanks TX Lyme Mom for the info.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement