LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and MS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and MS
jo3
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6317

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jo3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beofre I was diagnosed in 2001, I thought I had MS- went to the Dr., had the tests, said it wasn't that. Then I self-diagnosed Lyme and have been in treatment on and off- 1 1/2 years with an array of meds and now for the past 2 with more meds-globs of it! I currently do shots of Calarotaxime (sp?) twice a day plus Flagyl.
Anyway...I'm not getting better- fatigue and memory suck big-time. Doc talked about MS...but wanted me on IV but can't prescribe in my state so I went to another for that.
She didn't feel I needed IV's but did find Epstein-Barr and HHV6-asked if I had done an MRI for MS and when I told her I had in 2001, she said i can't have it then.

My question- could I have developed MS along the way- alot of my symtoms are getting worse- how many of you have both- will an MRI reveal it if it didn't years ago- the tests were done (electic shocks, eye test) and they came back negative then.

I'm getting worried that I'm getting worse- also do detoxic with Chlostermine (sp?) as well.

I'm scared...

Posts: 247 | From san antonio,tx | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO MS is lyme.

And your liver cannot detox stuff from the lyme, any co-infections and the drugs.

PM me if you want a referral to a great LLND in Austin.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was "diagnosed" with "probably MS" in 1998, due to one MRI that showed a few lesions. I believed that until about 3 years ago when I started investigating LYme.

Turns out Lyme causes MS. MS means you have multiple lesions in your brain/spinal column. IN other words, it's a description of a set of symptoms, and does not address a caustive agent.

An MRI can reveal white matter lesions. If they didn't see any years ago, they may see some now. Like I said, I have tons of them, which my non-LLMD neurologist insists upon calling MD, and my LLMD calls Lyme. Same problem, different label.

SO - IMO, MS is Lyme and Lyme is MS, at least for most people. If you get neuro symptoms or MS-like symptoms and you have Lyme, you have Lyme-induced MS (that's what I tell people).

I think a really good LLMD or LLND could help you and would strongly recommend that you see one.

I was scared and continue to be scared, because the holes in my brain continue to grow in size and number and I can't seem to get started on any effective treatment due to either a really bad gut or really bad herxes, don't know which.

But I'm working with my doctors to sort it out and I WILL get better! So will you!

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
denise is correct.

check out #5 dvd title from under the picture http://www.newhaven.edu/unh/lyme/

also do a MS search here -it's under the "post a poll" button at top of page. It's not in bold so easy to miss.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You never said if you were treated by an ILADS LLMD. Were other tick-borne infections considered? Were all stages and forms of the lyme addressed?

It can still take years to treat lyme and you also need to know that lyme destroys the myelin sheath around nerves and also causes lesions just as "MS" does.

Usually, "MS" is just an umbrella term. Often, lyme is the underlying infection although there could be other chronic stealth infections as the cause, such as Cpn (Chlamydia pneumonia). I'll put a link below for that.

This the the most important article on this topic, be sure you see both pages:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_research/lyme_articles7.html

CONTROVERSIES IN NEUROBORRELIOSIS

Audrey Stein Goldings, M.D.

Updated October, 2002

The objectives of this article are to cover issues related to Lyme disease that are not even-handedly addressed in the current literature. It will:

Present a practical approach for making the diagnosis of neuroborreliosis . . .

. . . Discuss the relationship between MS and Lyme . . . .
-
================

Many links:

http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43&p=44#p44

Fibro, CFS, MS, etc., could it be Lyme disease?

=============

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Patient%20Diagnostician.pdf

The Patient as Diagnostician: How the Internet Helped an MS Patient Find Her True Diagnosis

================

www.cpnhelp.org

CPN HELP

Be sure to see the Scranton/Wheldon protocols and their thoughts about "MS" - many "MS" patients have done very well with this protocol.

--- from their site:

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment.html

David Wheldon's protocol for MS

Excerpt:

After much controversy a considerable body of evidence now demonstrates a firm causal connection between chronic infection with the primary respiratory pathogen Chlamydophila (Chlamydia) pneumoniae and at least some variants of the neurological disease Multiple Sclerosis.

These web-pages review the evidence. References are cited. [Treatment is discussed.]

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme...bacterial

MS...viral...maybe EBV or HHV6, we don't know - thyroid hormones help as does prolactin.

MS = myelin sheath destroyed.

Lyme = Hg accumulation destroys Bb's proteins AND the proteins around our neurons. Immune system is upregulated one way and this can -> the inability to fight off infections that need the OTHER immune response.

The body has to chose...which infection/which pathogen to go after....

***which one presents the biggest immediate threat.***

Which is why lyme can (and has) gone into temporary remission when someone gets a simple "flu" (virus).

Basically there are 2 major pathways the body uses to defend us from pathogens (in reality there are 3): a Th1 pathway OR a Th2 pathway.

Both cannot happen simultaneously.

During pregnancy, the immune system quiets down because we can't attack the fetus (which is not unlike getting an organ transplant...something different from "self")

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Also to be considered is the newly discovered retro-virus XMRV, as found in many patients with the label of "CFS" If you want more on that, search for the CFIDS Association's website.

Often, patients with one chronic stealth infection will have others, too. The key is a good doctor who has the mind of a detective and knowledge of the full range of stealth infections.

---

Definition of sorts:

A STEALTH infection can be described as hidden from normal processes of detection (or tests are not yet developed) but powerful, destructive and tricky beyond belief. The ability of hiding from the immune system is a prime method of operation for stealth infections.

Sometimes, with cycles of action and dormancy.

"Stealth infection" is not a term that most doctors will be aware of but a term borne of research in the field of CFS and Tick-Borne Infections or Cpn, HHV-6, etc. Usually "stealth" infections are chronic due to the inability (or incompetence) with quick diagnosis. But they are also notorious for being very difficult to treat in the normal way most doctors think or work.

Specific combination protocols that take time have helped many patients with such infections.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Lyme is MS.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldnt say all MS is lyme. Most probably a fair share of MS is caused by chronic bacterial and/or viral infection. - Could be anything though , maybe the bacteria we didnt identify yet as pathogenic. And its probably compounded with environmental and hereditary factors
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Good points coltman.

And in studying I have done with Dr. U who has studied with Dr. K, bacteria, virus, yeast etc. are all opportunistic and have a party together.

dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From a post on CT Yahoo Lyme Group

"This is an old article from Time Magazine I uncovered while compiling references for my "Lyme on the Brain" talk.

Notice that the newly formed National Multiple Sclerosis Society dismisses Dr. Rose Ichelson's research that spirochetes cause MS, simply because they assumed that an infection passed between human to human would have to infect spouses and siblings more often.

They never made the connection that the infection was passed to humans by a tick bite.

In 1957 all research on MS and spirochetes pretty much ended as the Multiple Sclerosis societies of the time pushed for a viral model of the disease which has never panned out. Over 5 decades of MS/spirochete research in Europe was disregarded and ignored !
Tom Grier

@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@

Time Magazine
Medicine: MS & Spirochete
Monday, Jun. 24, 1957

Multiple sclerosis victims (about 250,000 in the U.S.) were anxiously wondering about a possible clue to their mysterious disease, which is marked by near-total loss of muscle control. (It happens when the myelin sheath, a fatty insulation around nerve pathways, degenerates for unknown reasons, thus short-circuiting nerve signals.)

Philadelphia Bacteriologist Rose Ichelson, 59, reported success in cultivating an obscure microbe, Spirochaeta myelophthora, which she has found in the spinal fluid of MS victims.

Inference: multiple sclerosis is caused by the spirochete, and early attack on it should lead to cure or alleviation.

Trouble is that nothing conclusive connects the germ with the disease. (A dozen better-understood diseases have been attributed to microbes that were later proved not guilty.)

If MS is laid to infection, it becomes almost impossible to explain why it so rarely attacks both husband and wife, or both of identical twins.

Said the National Multiple Sclerosis Society guardedly: now that Bacteriologist Ichelson has published her long-awaited method for cultivating the spirochetes, other scientists can check whether they are really found only in MS victims. If so, an effective treatment might still be years away....

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In 1957 all research on MS and spirochetes pretty much ended as the Multiple Sclerosis societies of the time pushed for a viral model of the disease which has never panned out. Over 5 decades of MS/spirochete research in Europe was disregarded and ignored !

Sad, sad state we live in. Most of medical progress in the area of infectious diseases was actually made in in 1940-1960s. - Most major abx classes were discovered back then, most research done. Pharma companies keep putting "new abx" to market which were actually discovered back then and only FDA approved recently.

I wonder what it will take to sway the mainstream research back to researching the infectious origin of "idiopathic" diseases - I mean it took 30 years for ulcers bacteria to be recognized.

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

"it took 30 years for ulcers bacteria to be recognized. "

And here in the US it took another 10 years to admit it 'cause we didnt say it, Australia did.

IMO that is a good definition of arrogance.

Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes indeed, a paradigm shift is a difficult thing for a society.

I won't mince words..............MS is bacterial. That doesn't mean we know how to treat it.....but I'm sure it is.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

I was a relief to me finding out Lyme was the cause of my "ms". Even the founding MD of LDN (low dose naltrexone)in 2001 ask me if I was tested for Lyme...

Little did I know from 1988 till 2003, the only Lyme tests I had had done was the ELISA. Of course all were negative.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement