LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Living at High Altitude

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living at High Altitude
frank789
Member # 22505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank789     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have realized that when I go back home to Maine, my lightheadedness and vertigo w/o the spinning feeling disappear. However, I am currently living at 7,000 feet and this feeling comes and goes quite often.

I am guessing this might be an inner ear thing, and if so, is there anything I can do about it?

Also, ski season is just about to start up. Is skiing an appropriate form of exercise for Lyme?

Posts: 34 | From Steamboat Springs, CO | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move to Florida.

I'm not joking.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the Denver area and am able to ski. Altitude has never been an issue for me with lyme.

Everyone is so different..you need to go with how you feel.

Hope your able to ski...Steamboat Springs is one of my favorite places to ski.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you feel much better when visiting another area/building then you should also consider the possibility that your house has a serious mold problem.

Maybe your symptoms improved not because of altitude, but because of lower exposure to mold in the building in Maine?

I read this in the Lyme Disease Solution Book. But your improvement may very well be associated with altitude, its just not a pattern of improvement I have heard much about.

[ 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: mixxster ]

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank789     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't noticed any signs of a mold problem in my current place, also Colorado is very dry compared to a very humid Maine.

I am pretty sure it is an elevation thing. My ears and dizziness do some crazy things when I am driving over passes with frequent changes in elevation.

Posts: 34 | From Steamboat Springs, CO | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elevation bothered me when I was sick. My grandmother lives in the highest area in the East in NC, which is nothing compared to the West, but it would still bother me. I'd start feeling bad just driving into Knoxville.

My Lyme symptoms would flare, for me, that meant I hurt more and was more fatigued.

If you can ski, I don't know why it would be a problem. If you're tired for the next couple days afterward, then it's probably not the right exercise for you. It just varies for each person.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thread - a prominent CFS doc felt the

opposite - that living in high altitudes was

actually *good* for CFS patients as the body

fearing less oxygen would release more of the

enzyme 2,3 DPG (released at night while sleeping)

which is why, he hypothesized is why runners from

higher altitudes always did better at the

Olympics. More oxygenation = less brain fog, more

oxygen to the brain and muscles (less pain). Of

course only theory.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. But we are moving to Colorado to a town in the mountains that is at 9500 ft elevation.

From Texas. It's going to take a lot of getting use to, I know that for sure.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm at 8000 ft and love it. South cent Colorado. there is a house down the road from me that had to be torn down b/c of black mold. there was a major water leak.

the mt air invigorates me.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme shouldn't be an issue with high alt. But it is a VERY big issue with babs. But one's body will adjust, just more slowly with a babs infection.

Moving to low altitude should not have a negative effect either way.

I'm moving to CO in a few weeks.

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to move... !!

I have been in low altitudes and high altitudes and did not notice a difference.

I think too that if anything the mold and environmental issues would be much more noticable and concerning. For me anyway.

But.. I can see.. once again.. we are all different with different loads of infections and different body chemistrys and different differences. : )

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
springs...

"differences" that is what makes these "autoimmune" illnesses so hard to treat. nothing simple about the path of body yoga.

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

Back to my question, is there anything I can do about the inner ear issue? I have heard that ginger capsules help?

JamesNYC and IckyTicky, good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll love it. Summers here are hard to beat, warm dry days and cool nights. Winters aren't so bad either. [Smile]

tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you called your Dr. about the inner ear issue? What is there response?
Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am from Colorado and miss it HORRIBLY! What a beautiful state. I grew up near Steamboat Springs in a small town called Meeker. Anyone heard of it?

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
frank789 - there are some important links re: inner ear stuff on my previous post titled "I woke up dizzy and nauseous...anyone else".

Just click on my name and look for that post. I'm not good at copying/pasting. Great info on that thread.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

tickalert, I have an appointment with my PCP this week. I should try giving my LLMD a call this week as well.
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually,

I move (migrate?) there every winter. Then migrate back to NYC in the spring. So I have lots of experience with lyme and cos and high and low altitude.

I live and work in Aspen in the winter.

Sure, it's a beautiful state, but I miss NYC. You cannot get good bagels or pizza in there!

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

James, yes it is always the little things. I miss all the good seafood and microbrews in Maine. Also, I heart Aspen Highlands.
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Kareamber yes I have heard of it. I think it's near Rifle correct? I know I've been through there.
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pigwit may chime in here. he has been in the Andes and having some trouble with altitude. everyone's different tho. we all have different histories etc. (but now i am wondering...what if it is sort of a herx? but that doesn't make sense, does it? Bb doesn't like 02 so less O2 would make the Bb happy...)

i know its not so simple.

frank-does it bother you to fly?

[ 11-11-2009, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: lpkayak ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

lpkayak, I have only flown once since having symptoms and it didn't bother me. I flew back to Maine and felt pretty well. It could have been a coincidence though.
lymetime
Member # 21054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have issues at high altitude, its one of the first triggers I noticed. I know of one other lyme patient with the same issue.
Posts: 48 | From california | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetime
Member # 21054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have issues at high altitude, its one of the first triggers I noticed. I know of one other lyme patient with the same issue.

I actually got an oxygen generator to help.

Posts: 48 | From california | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe it. I've been on the LymeNet forum for close to 4 years and never met anyone from the Western Slope of Colorado. And on one thread I meet 2 people from my own back yard.

I'm from Craig and grew up here - about 40 miles west of Steamboat Springs and about 40 miles north of Meeker.

When I was a kid, we had a small place in Aspen and spent most week-ends and vacations there skiing during the winter. (That's back when Aspen was still just a small, uncomplicated community, James.)

Hi, neighbors. [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank789
Member # 22505

Small world. I talked to my LLMD and he actually told me that spirochetes thrive at higher altitudes since there is less oxygen... If this is in fact true, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to move back east.
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Frank,

I do not believe that to be true. The body compensates very quickly to the lower 02 content in the air. The 02 carrying ability to the tissues is just as good at altitude as at sea level, that's what is important.

The 02 content in terms of % is the same at altitude, however it's only the density of the air that is different. So actually, there really isn't less 02. Just less density of air per breath.

Does that make sense?

kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was living in high altitude (about 7000 ft), and I did better when I would come to visit my parents at 580 feet. I flew from CA to TX for doctors appointments as I lived in a rural area and was unable to drive long distances for doctors appointments. All the appointments I scheduled, I missed as I wasn't feeling well enough to drive 100 miles+. At that time, I also had no clue what was wrong with me, so I'm sure having my mom as a "caretaker" again had something to do with feeling a little better.

My blood oxygen was 100% at high altitude, but I felt short of breath and had air hunger.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Kday,

your blood ox will always be close to 100%.

It sounds like you have babesia. If you felt much better at low altitude, I'd bet on it. Were you tested?

James

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement