LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » For medical EXPERTS only...very technical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For medical EXPERTS only...very technical
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With much help from Wikipedia !

5' AMP-activated protein kinase or AMPK or 5' adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase is an enzyme that plays a role in cellular energy homeostasis.

``AMPK also phosphorylates and ***inactivates 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-CoA reductase***'' (that is the enzyme that shuts off the cholesterol pathway)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMP-activated_protein_kinase

When AMPK is activated it transfers a phosphate to ACC2 and this ***inhibits ACC2***:

``Phosphorylation by AMPK inhibits ACC2's activity which in turn ***slows fatty acid synthesis*** and enhances fatty acid mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation.''

http://www.hhmi.org/news/pdf/shulman20070206.pdf

Since we know Bb is following the ''cholesterol pathway'' to build its cell walls, AMPK must be ``off'' (because it inactivates HMG CoA reductase as does Mg) and since AMPK inhibits ACC2, ACC2 thus would be ``on''.

There is another way we can inhibit ACC2.

In the liver, caprylic acid converts to a very specific ketone (beta-Hydroxybutyric acid) that inhibits ACC2 (acetyl-CoA carboxylase).

We need to inhibit ACC2!!!

Acetyl-coenzyme A carboxylase (ACC2), the enzyme responsible for the biosynthesis of malonyl-CoA, a physiological inhibitor of carnitine acyltransferase.

If we inhibit ACC2, no malonyl-CoA can be made which *inhibits* carnitine acyltransferase. So...carnitine acyltransferase is ``on''.

Carnitine O-palmitoyltransferase (also called carnitine palmitoyltransferase or carnitine acyltransferase) is a mitochondrial transferase enzyme involved in the metabolism of palmitoylcarnitine into palmitoyl-CoA.

Palmitoyl CoA is an acyl-CoA thioester used in the biosynthesis of sphingosine

Sphingolipid metabolites, such as ceramide, sphingosine and sphingosine-1-phosphate, are ***lipid signaling***molecules involved in diverse cellular processes.

Sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) is a signaling sphingolipid

Originally thought as an intracellular second messenger, it was discovered to be an extracellular ligand for G protein-coupled receptor S1PR1 in 1998.

Although S1P is of importance in the entire human body, it is a major regulator of vascular and immune systems.

In addition, it might be relevant in the skin.

In the vascular system, S1P regulates angiogenesis, vascular stability and permeability.

In the immune system, it is now recognized as a major regulator of trafficking of T- and B-cells.

S1P interaction with its receptor S1PR1 is needed for the egress of immune cells from the lymphoiod organs (such as thymus and lymph nodes) into the lymphatic vessels.

Inhibition of S1P receptors was shown to be critical for immunomodulation.

Currently, an experimental compound, FTY720, is undergoing clinical trials to determine if it is useful in controlling the autoimmune reactions in multiple sclerosis.

S1PR1 (sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 1) also known as S1P1 and EDG1 (endothelial differentiation gene 1) is a protein which in humans is encoded by the S1PR1 gene.

S1PR1 encodes a G-protein-coupled receptor which binds the lipid signaling molecule sphingosine 1-phosphate (S1P).

The protein encoded by this gene is structurally similar to G protein-coupled receptors and is highly expressed in endothelial cells.

It binds the ligand sphingosine-1-phosphate with high affinity and high specificity, and suggested to be involved in the processes that regulate the differentiation of endothelial cells. Activation of this receptor induces cell-cell adhesion.[1]

S1PR1 has been shown to interact with 5-HT1A receptor,[2] GNAI1[3] and GNAI3.[3]

First...5-HT1A receptor, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT1A_receptor

Next: GNAI1 = G(i), alpha-1 subunit

Guanine nucleotide-binding protein G(k) subunit alpha is a protein that in humans is encoded by the ***GNAI3*** gene.

GNAI3 (gene, protein) = Guanine nucleotide binding protein (G protein), alpha inhibiting activity polypeptide 3

GNAI3 protein, human EC 3.6.1.46 *GTP-Binding Protein alpha Subunits, Gi-Go.

A family of heterotrimeric GTP-binding protein alpha subunits that were originally identified by their ability to

inhibit ADENYLATE CYCLASE.

Members of this family can couple to beta and gamma G-protein subunits that activate POTASSIUM CHANNELS. The Gi-Go part of the name is also spelled Gi/Go.

Adenylate cyclase catalyzes the conversion of ATP to 3',5'-cyclic AMP (cAMP) and pyrophosphate.

IF GTP- binding alpha subunits proteins inhibits adenylate cyclase = ATP is NOT broken down? And this also activates the potassium channels?

Signal transduction : 0.004 ARHGDIA; CCL2; CRABP2; CXCL10; ***GNAI3***; ***IL1B***; IL8; OSBPL1A; PLAUR;PRKACB; PTPRF; SH3GL3; SRF; ***STAT1***; TANK; TNFRSF6; TXNIP

Follow the diagram in the link below - look at the upper left hand side for AC (adenylate cyclase).

If we INHIBIT AC...look at the consequences.

Look closely at Ga Gb and Gy (G proteins alpha, beta and gamma). They are green in the upper right side of the diagram...follow their paths.

It appears Gb and Gy -> PLC and ***DAG***...and activate AC.

http://gspd.biocompare.com/Gene/Pathway.aspx?gp=13

The above is an absolutely amazing diagram!

We need to inhibit ACC2 and we can do that via caprylic acid (which is in virgin coconut oil). All the saturated acids in VCO work TOGETHER.

Slowly...very slowly.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Thats awesome. Marnie maybe you could come up

with a new cocktail of VCO and a hot Lyme name to

go with it. Its got to be green, and I would like a

little flame. Just pass the bottle. LOL I would try

it and I don't drink. Maybe I could get my

daughter to do what I ask(hates to take anything,

and would prefer to suffer), if she could drink. LOL

I'm thinking maybe choc.chip mint something derby like?

[ 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Pinelady ]

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't knock VCO...it is REVERSING Alzheimer's Disease.

A DOCTOR, a pediatrician, a woman (yea!) figured out how it might work.

And it IS.

Her husband WAS suffering with AD...and he IS recovering.

Sorry...but the truth is (just read the titles!):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16675154

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15665404

http://www.molecularalzheimer.org/

I'm trying to help you all.

Nothing wrong with adding divided dosages of coconut milk to a smoothie!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH I'm not knocking it. The stuff tastes weird. But

I eat it anyway. She will NOT. Need a way to make

it palatable. Ohhh. Smoothie sounds great, but I

would have to slip it in on her. LOL And I am no

med. expert. I just like learning.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie - a long time ago, a doctor gave me caprylic acid pills to treat candida. I took one and had an enormous die-off. I always thought it was from the yeast situation. From reading this, it could have been a Lyme die-off?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Eureka! I believe we have to have the acids to get to the borrelia.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Marnie
Member # 773

The key is the right acid/the combination of the right (hydrogen loaded = saturated) medium chain fatty acids = virgin coconut oil.

Bb NEEDS fatty acids...we know this for sure.

But lots of fatty acids

***shuts off fatty acid synthesis.***

We have to go SLOW!!!

Lauric acid (also in VCO) is in mother's milk.

It too is a powerful natural anti-bacterial (and anti-fungal and anti-viral).

I think the combination of the fatty acids in VCO is important (maybe to also hit co-infections simultaneously?) Capyrilic acid does not have all the "features" of lauric acid.

So I would not take "just" caprylic acid.

We all know garlic is good, but what we often try to do is to figure out which nutrient IN garlic is the "active" component, and then give just that.

It doesn't always work.

I think it is because all the nutrients in a "healthy food" work TOGETHER.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Right. Fish oil is a acid, Vitamin E is a acid,

coconut oil is a acid. Acids break down calcium.

Right again. Slow. It may be too hard on the kidneys.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Steven Harris on Acid Base.
http://yarchive.net/med/acid_balance.html

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Marnie
Member # 773

Little mineral + lots of acids -> HYDROGEN.

Many of our cells are hydrogen powered.

pH = potential of hydrogen. Our pH is very closely regulated by our kidney cells which can be damaged by too many acids.

That is why the ORIGINAL Atkins diet was bad (-> kidney failure) and why Johns Hopkins Ketogenic diet can be very dangerous if not monitored closely.

Hydrogen goes right INTO our cells, but Bb maybe exchanging H for Na.

To carry hydrogen ***into the powerhouses of our cells***, we need a helper enzyme, CoQ10.

It takes Mg to MAKE that enzyme (and all others).

But Bb looks to be using Mg (and Ca and Fe and glucose) to build "his" biofilm which protects him from too much oxygen and which "he" uses to chemically "talk" to his buddies = quorum sensing.

Re: "fish oil" (Omega 3s). It is EPA, NOT DHA that is important.

They have DIFFERENT functions!

Yes, EPA can convert to DHA, but it takes several steps.

If you ever have breast cancer and are Rx'd Tamoxifen...

Keep this in mind:

"Eicosapentaenoic acid restores tamoxifen sensitivity in breast cancer cells with high Akt activity"

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/annonc;14/7/1051

sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, thanks so much for all your research. Although I don't understand most of it, I do understand the words...VCO is reversing alzheimers.

That's enough for me. My mother has alzheimers and 4 of her siblings so I'm really scared I will get it. My memory is so bad already from the lyme. It's so embarrassing.

I'm going to get some VCO and try it and see if it helps me or my mom. She is getting steadily worse. I do not want to end up like that. It's a terrible disease.

Thanks again for all you do.

Connie

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

You are welcome.

The doctor is giving her husband 3 T. of virgin coconut oil - divided doses - per day.

NOTHING ELSE.

It took about 3 months to begin to see the "turn-around"...slowly. He has been tested. He IS improving.

I've read we can substitute 10oz of coconut milk (also split up the dose) per day instead of the oil.

It must go thru the GI system...doesn't work if we try to give the fatty acids IV.

The coconut milk added to a "smoothie"...might make it more palatable?

AD...horrible to watch your loved ones go thru!

pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VCO means Virgin Coconut Oil.

----Polly Polygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
You are welcome.

The doctor is giving her husband 3 T. of virgin coconut oil - divided doses - per day.

NOTHING ELSE.

It took about 3 months to begin to see the "turn-around"...slowly. He has been tested. He IS improving.

I've read we can substitute 10oz of coconut milk (also split up the dose) per day instead of the oil.

It must go thru the GI system...doesn't work if we try to give the fatty acids IV.

The coconut milk added to a "smoothie"...might make it more palatable?

AD...horrible to watch your loved ones go thru!

Is that 3 tablespoons or teaspoons of coconut oil?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Capital T means Tablespoon Jennie.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

If you try it I wish to tell you now to start low

and slow like everything else in some lymies. I did

not know this and got a acute reaction to 3 TBS.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Sarah182
Member # 15774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarah182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get the coconut oil?

I think I've bought some at the grocery store before but it's been awhile.

Would that type be good enough?

Posts: 86 | From new york | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can order virgin coconut oil from iherb.com; i got mine from them.

---Polly Polygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement