LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for women who have or have had a port

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for women who have or have had a port
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the women who have or have had a port:

How do you hide the port when it's accessed, besides wearing shirts that completely cover it up?? Most women's tops are form-fitting and somewhat low-cut. And it's not very appealing to have it simply showing under the Tegederm or Op Site dressing when it's accessed!

Any other ideas?? It's a little easier with a PICC line. And men don't have to worry about it! Thank you.

[ 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Rumigirl ]

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for replies.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For these situations I've heard a paper bag over the head works well. But, be sure to cut eye holes in it so you can see while walking.

And you are right.. it won't cover the port.... but at least no one will know who you are so you won't be embarrased by it.

[Big Grin]

Actually, I was in bed most of the time I had a port so that problem didn't concern me.

I have, however, seen others with ports who were out in public. The looser fitting tops seemed to hide the port fairly well.

Maybe a shopping trip is in order?

Wish I had better ideas than a paper bag and buying a couple new shirts... but that's all for now.

Maybe someone else can help? I hope so!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question.

I honestly don't even know what a port looks like. Though if I get IV again, I might opt for a port, not a PICC.

I wonder how big the scar will be on your chest afterwards? Like will that interfere with wearing lower cut tops later on? Or strapless dresses, which is what I normally wear to spring/summer weddings, etc? Would people see a big scar?

Getting better would be worth it, but I would still like to know what I'd be left with.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Tincup, too funny! Did the IV tx help you alot?? I presume so, although there is no magic bullet.

I know that you are left with a scar. I guess it depends how big it is. I know sometimes it is big and noticeable. Not so much of an issue for a guy, but for a woman, not so great. Sigh.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lightweight scarves are very popular these days and can be draped in many different ways.

LLBEAN and LANDS' END web sites offer good soft cotton shirts that are not too form fitting. I think the LLBEAN shirts are more substantial.

Find a good cotton knit - but not RIBBED knit as it is much thinner fabric. Other than being very thin, ribbed knits catch on everything, even the corner of surgical tape.
-

[ 11-12-2009, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Thank you, Keebler. It would be easier to cover up in the winter, of course.
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scarves!!!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT? No paper bag? Oh well!

I did get help with IV's... most do.

I have 2 scars from it...

And GOOD thing no one is around and awake right now.

I have my shirt lifted up over my head so I can see them and give you an idea what they look like.

They are both about 2/3 inch long... very pale.. I do see the stitches marks on them.

One is above my left "one", almost mid-center just as it starts to form.

The other little scar is about 2 inches down on my inner left "one".

I can't imagine they are THAT noticeable... but then again.. I don't go running around naked too often either.

OK.. I do. But NOT in public. On purpose.

[Big Grin]

And if they are noticed.. I just act real cool and say that is a gun shot wound and I am lucky to be alive.

BTW- The DUCK that removed it.. while I am laying there scared to death having surgery to have it removed ... said...

"You know, I never removed one of these from a "live" person before."

He should have been shot!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

OMG, Tincup!! You should have shot him! Except that you'd now be in jail if you had. Him and all the other blasted ducks.

I had made good progress on IV for 6 months this year (interspersed with a new tick bite and a downhill slide). Then I had a string of tx problems, including gall bladder sludging from the ceftriaxone (horrible nausea!), a leak in my PICC line (it had to be removed), severe tinnitus from the orals, so no tx at all for 6 weeks. And I slid back down to even worse than before!! Hence, the need for a new line.

And I had so much pain for 5 straight months with the PICC; my veins seem to be terrible. I may still get another PICC after all. Tough call PICC or port. Thank you, gals. Anyone else care to pipe up?

Also, what do you do about showering with a port?? It sounds tough, tougher than a PICC, which was challenging enough.

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok... for shirts, actually quite a few of my t-shirt or even some dress shirts covered it very well. only few that didnt. and after few mo. well,.... i really just didnt care !!!

as for shower... BATH ... our garden tub has gotten its use tenfold !!!!

at first had to go to salon for hairwash at least once during the week, then got ok with over the tub wash/condition hair with help, then on own..

finally got pretty good at it and now ins. denied any more IV and new letter of reversal of that.. looks like get another month !!

and dont get too sweaty, rain,etc.. nothing to get dsg. wet!! want it dry, clean, intact !

i prefered port over picc. i would flush/ hep lock port on thurs night and de-access myself. my nurse would come out mon am to access and do sterile dressing.. so had weekends "off" for good behavior ,,.. [lol]

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement