LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Deer blood got in cut while dressing the deer.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deer blood got in cut while dressing the deer.
bugbite
Member # 23028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone could help me for my friend.

A friend of mine was cutting up a deer and when removing the gut's (I know this sounds horrible I'm sorry) he cut himself and the deers blood mixed with his.

The deer had several ticks on it's ears which he removed and put in a jar to be tested.

Is there a possibilty of getting Lyme from the blood mixing or do you have to be bitten to get it?

--------------------
bugbite's BITE!

Posts: 51 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I would treat this the same as a tick bite.

copying from a previous post of mine.

A doctor in my State did some research, here is the result.

Yes, you could get lyme from an infected deer's blood. If exposed to the blood you should be treated.

Yes, it is safe to eat deer meat , but only if COOKED at 160 degrees.

Tell any hunter friends to wear gloves when dressing the deer. Also to take off the clothes they were wearing while hunting and not take them into the house as they could have ticks on them. This is how lyme disease could be spread to other family members.

You can also get other diseases from deer meat.

Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis
Clinical Infectious Diseases 2000;31:554-560

"Although tick bites are thought to represent the main method of transmission of the HGE agent to most patients, we have recently seen several butchers develop HGE shortly after cutting large quantities of fresh deer carcasses [54]. None of the butchers described any preceding tick bites.

It is therefore possible that exposure to infected blood represents an occupational hazard to persons who process large quantities of fresh deer meat, by direct inoculation of the HGE agent through cuts on skin or contamination of mucous membranes."

I think babesia is also a possibility. CaliforniaLyme posted some info about that in the past.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would definitely say there's a chance for him to get lyme and other infections from a deer's blood mixing into an open wound...

He should try to get on some Doxy as soon as possible, at least for for a month or more.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would definitely get treated as if you had lyme. it can't hurt and perhaps would save someone from further complications.

but, yes, a real possibility.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dressed many deer myself over the years.

Some I've put baseball caps on (we like the Orioles best)... and some have had pretty pink ribbons tied on their antlers and fake pearls around their necks.

One I put a paisley scarf on one of our deer.. and cute winter ear muffs.

But I never got cut while dressing them, so I don't know what to tell you.

[lol]

OK... here's what I think.

Dr. Burgdorfer reported getting Lyme when urine from an infected rabbit was splashed in his eye by accident.

They have found evidence of spirochetes in infant's umbilical cords.

Body fluids have tested positive for Lyme.

When you are scratched by a dog that has been in a fight with a rabid skunk... it is called an "exposure to rabies" and you must go thru the rabies shots.

Spirochetes have been detected in deer skin, deer hides, etc... even in Sika deer.

BUT...

Every tick you are bitten by doesn't always carry Lyme.

Me? I'd error on the side of caution... and keep in mind.. trying to get a duck to prescribe antibiotics for that kind of exposure may be very difficult.

They won't give many of us the medication needed when we have Lyme for sure... so it may not be easy.

If it were me... I might think to say something like...

"Gee, I don't know how many tick bites I got ... but I got this nasty cut while gutting a deer and the scene was so bloody and blood was mixing so fast...

I'd make a bet I'd wake up tomorrow with antlers growing out of my head and that deer will be in the 7-11 buying a cup of coffee on its way to work."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugbite
Member # 23028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugbite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW I AM SHOCKED!!!

I was just told by my friend when he called Igenex about having the ticks tested that the gal that answered the phone told him he did not have Lyme if he has not had any syptoms in 24 hours.

Can this be true?

I thought Lyme syptoms may not happen for months or even years?

Am I missing something?

Why would someone from a well trusted lab of Lyme disease say this?

If an emolyee of Igenex is giving out informnation like this no wonder Lyme is so over looked.

JEEZ!

--------------------
bugbite's BITE!

Posts: 51 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously???!!!

OK, Igenex needs called for sure!!! I wonder if the person he spoke with is new?? Plus, they are a lab, they cannot say someone has Lyme or doesn't based on symptoms, only a doc can do that!

But, yes, my brother thinks he got Lyme last fall when he was dressing his deer, said he had some nasty cuts. about 6 weeks later he was in the ER with severe numbness, foot drop, ect.

24 hours!!?? That's just ridiculous! Please someone call Igenex and get that straightened out!! See if your friend can get some abx in case!!!!

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newstimes.com/ridgefield/ci_13734792
Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone tell Igenex that I had TWO ticks in me, photographed them embedded,

had then 48 & 72 hours...and NO rash, and I didn't get really sick for WEEKS! I'm sure you all have this covered, right?

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure they reached IGeneX?? They generally know their stuff! I find that statement from them hard to believe - was it another lab?

If it really was IgeneX, call em back and tell them your friend is now sprouting little tick legs and should he be concerned?

Then get the former statement he heard clarified and corrected, please!

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troup Brazelton
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troup Brazelton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IgeneX is a LAB.

Call a doctor and make an appointment.

Posts: 219 | From Aubur,Al. USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure you even need to have a cut or that most people are aware that they have them. If you are a nail biter or chew or pick at your cuticles, there's enough opportunity just there for an opening for blood to get in.

I for one would never be dressing a deer but would make damned sure I had some serious gloves on if I did.

I'm very surprised regarding that information about Igenex. Something does not see correct. I would get on ABX immediately, rather than take any chances.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure it is possible, but I do not know how likely it is to get Lyme in this way.

It would be a good idea to get treatment of some kind in case. There are certainly other bacteria involved also. I do not think you want any of them.

I dressed a Deer that I shot through the back from 12 foot high Deer Stand. which ruptured virtually all of the internal organs. It was a mess and I am sure I was exposed to a lot of nasty bacteria. I do not think I ever suffered any consequences from that but I would be more careful in the same situation today.

I missed a Buck a couple of days ago, while trying to avoid repeating such a shot. Instead of taking the sure shot and making a mess of things, I took a low percentage head shot.

I missed, but at least I did not have to deal with a soup of bacteria.

Wear latex surgical type gloves when dressing the deer. We just do not know what we can get exposed to, and E-Coli is always present.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood to blood contact?

Treat very aggresssively for at least 6 weeks. MO

And call Igenex and get the name of the person who said that.

Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugbite
Member # 23028

Thanks to all for your input. I called my friend back immediatly.

I got the number for Igenex directly off my lab results I just obtained from my doctor. So yes, it is the correct number.

I gave him that number so he could call to get information on having the ticks tested. IMO I think the ticks should be tested.

Which they also quoted him $65 each tick. Thats when the young lady told him he more than likely didn't have it though because he had no symptons in 24 hr's. He was safe.

I found the name of a doctor in his area that is Lyme literate (A Dr. C) I hope he for certain will put him on antibiotics.

--------------------
bugbite's BITE!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement