LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Probiotics article.... who agrees with this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Probiotics article.... who agrees with this?
PinchMe
Member # 15353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinchMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres a write up one of the lead MPers posted on her site bacteriality.com regarding Probiotics.

http://bacteriality.com/2008/06/11/probiotics

This stuff gets to me cause i did notice after taking probiotics that if felt a good deal better... now i gotta read some article that just claims that because its taking fighter cells from my die off region and surrounding the probiotics to check to see if they are a threat. way to burst my bubble - the probiotic response is only palliative.

-p

--------------------
Bit in March 2005.

Posts: 58 | From Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap that made me seriously rethink probiotics
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm, maybe my LLMD knows something I need to know he has always been against probiotics
Posts: 207 | From NH | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VIDEO:

http://video.about.com/nutrition/Probiotics.htm

Warning...this is going to get very medically-technical!

"RESULTS: The gut is the major site for induction of regulatory T cells, which secrete immunoregulatory cytokines such as IL-10 and

TGF-beta

and can regulate both Th1 and Th2 responses.

Recent findings suggest that some gut commensals, including lactobacilli, bifidobacteria and helminths, play a major role in the induction of regulatory T cells in gut lymphoid follicles.

Such T cell-mediated regulatory pathways are ***essential homeostatic mechanisms*** by which the host can tolerate the massive burden of innocuous antigens within the gut

without responding through inflammation."

PMID: 19786773 Dig Dis. 2009;27(3):412-7. Epub 2009 Sep 24.

TGF beta (by definition):

TGF-beta acts as an antiproliferative factor (inhibiting cell growth) in normal epithelial cells and at early stages of oncogenesis (malignant transformation).

In other words, TGF beta (secreted by a healthy gut) stops cancer cells from growing.

Trevor...it is UV light, NOT vitamin D that potentiates lyme disease.

Mice, infected with Bb, when exposed to LIGHT -> increased infection.

CB2 receptors + UV light -> inflammation.

Bb NEEDS inflammation to happen.

Why do you think persons who get lyme are given tetracycline which REDUCES inflammation AND are told to stay OUT OF THE SUNLIGHT?

If Bb has a PKCB2 inhibitor which is impacting our T cells, those cells likely are sending to the surface a "call for help", CB2 receptor.

These cells then will become HeLa cells. Immortal.

PKCB2 = cell survival, PKCB2 inhibited (Bb) = cell dies.

It appears Bb has a PKCB2 INHIBITOR (which would trigger cell death)...so we counter that!

We thus keep the infected cells alive.

What this will lead to - eventually - is the need for a *man-made PKC inhibitor*, such as tamoxifen.

When and if you gals here need Tamoxifen to destroy breast cancer cells that are immortal (= HeLa)...

This knowledge may save your life:

Eicosapentaenoic acid restores tamoxifen sensitivity in breast cancer cells with high Akt activity

Why?

Likewise, the omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), which

***inhibits PKC beta II activity ***

and colon carcinogenesis, causes inhibition of Cox-2 protein expression, re-expression of TGF-beta RII, and restoration of TGF-beta1-mediated transcription in RIE/PKC beta II cells.

PMID: 12480928

Keep your gut healthy.

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, marnie, that was way over my head. probiotics yes or no?

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Probiotics.

Watch the video...it is for those who can't follow the "technical" stuff.

We HAVE to keep our gut healthy.

Posts: 9430 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MazzyStar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MazzyStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, what else does it say?

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Ehrlichia

www.mommalyme.com

Posts: 276 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Our gut secretes this:

TGF-beta

which

acts as an antiproliferative factor ( = inhibiting cell growth) in normal epithelial cells (these cells make up the epithelium which is a covering of most internal and external organs (our skin is an organ)

and at early stages of oncogenesis (malignant transformation).

"Borrelia burgdorferi bind to *epithelial cell* proteoglycans (glycoproteins - think of them as sugary proteins).

So TGF beta protects us if some cells are heading towards becoming cancerous and it stops the epithelial cells (which Bb attaches to) from growing.

And our gut also secretes IL 10 which is

an anti-inflammatory cytokine.

Our gut helps us control the balance of inflammation and no inflammation.

SOME inflammation is needed to heal. It is when it doesn't shut off that we're in trouble.

It is known that inflammation ...ongoing...is a cancer trigger because it causes "free radicals" which damage our cells.

Does that help?

I'm trying.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is crazy to not take them!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
It is crazy to not take them!

Amen.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the article, It might be better to pulse probiotics. I agree with Marnie and droopy drawers (sorry Ms. TuTu I caught you and TC talking about your animated characters [lol] ) you need them but maybe how we're taking them should be discussed more.

Question: Is it better to take probiotics as food and drink versus supplemental?

Question: Is it better to take probiotics ever day, every other day, every third day, etc...?

Here's a thought, our own test -- we get twenty people to test every other day and another group to test every fourth day and run the test for 6 weeks and get some feed back. Another group switch to food/drink orient probiotics 1 every day. I'd bet the results would be very interesting.

I stopped taking supplemental probiotics 6 months ago and haven't missed them. I drink kombucha / I eat sauerkraut -- I've given up on yogurt.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, could it be causing us more harm than good????

We also have no way of knowing our products really have probiotics! They might die in transport...if left in high heat. For this reason I often hear organic yogurt or kefir is best since it must be refrigerated.

Do you know your probiotics contain what they say when you eat them?????

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymie_in_md:
I stopped taking supplemental probiotics 6 months ago and haven't missed them. I drink kombucha / I eat sauerkraut -- I've given up on yogurt.

At least you are doing THAT! To do nothing would be like suicide (for me at least).

I think yogurt is VERY highly overrated. It contains too much sugar...even the plain does.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make yogurt and ensure it is fully cultured. No lactose left maybe lactase pre-digested sugar. But I don't think yeast will go after the sugar in that form similar to plant sugar or complex carbs. I've been making my own cultured coconut milk instead. I'll buy some culture starter put it in 32 oz bottle with coconut milk (so delicious - brand) and let it culture for two days in a yogurt maker. I use that in cereal. It's not dairy and relatively simple to make. I'll put that on oat meal in the morning with some other stuff (fresh fruit, dried fruit) whatever.

22 come over for breakfast some time, I'll save you a bowl. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsturner
Member # 20874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsturner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is at this stage of my treatment my LLMD does NOT want me taking probiotics. I thought it was crazy too...But if I were to post who my LLMD was I bet a lot of you would be surprised and know who he/she was. Very well know.
Posts: 23 | From Southern Maine | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement