LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need help identifying this Rash!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help identifying this Rash!
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently came off meds for Bartonella (Rifampin and Zithromax). Developed rash a few days before I stopped meds. Was on them for 5 months, so not med induced.

Not on anything else.

Anyone ever seen this rash? Not itchy, more pronounced after a shower or exertion.

Thanks for any prompt feedback!

Link here:

http://img211.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img211/6103/1258326826cwx.smil

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same kind of rash.. mostly would show up after showering. It only lasted a few days though. No idea what it was and I don't remember what I was on at the time but I do think it was Zith.
Just because you were on it for 5 months doesn't mean it couldn't have been med induced though.

Hmm... anyone else?

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but I discontinued the meds 3 weeks ago and still have the rash. Also, I was on Zithromax (pulsed) for more than 2 yrs.

Rash has lasted 4 weeks now (comes and goes) and is most pronounced on inside of forearms, then travels up inside of arms. Some blotchy areas on my chest but not like the picture.

Did take Cryptolesis for a few weeks before the rash but dropped it when the rash appeared and have been off the Crypto for 3 weeks, and rash has not resolved. Does not appear to by Crypto related.

Biopsy said "the presence of scattered plasma cells with interface/lichnoid changes suggest a spirochete etiology (they know I have Lyme, so they are guessing). Spirochete serology studies are advised. Connective Tissue disorder is another consideration.

Can anyone help with this? LLMD seems out to lunch.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you thought of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? If you look at some of the images they look similar.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Yes, that was the first thing I thought of, but the derm showed me pics of that rash and it seems to be much more like pinpoints or little raised red bumps. Mine is also on the palms. I remember an itchy rash on my palms when I first got sick, but this is not itchy.

Just to be sure I was tested for RMSF on Friday.

Maybe someone here also has the rash and knows what it is. Hoping for that!

Thanks all.

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I've tested positive for RMSF.. maybe that is what mine comes from as well.

The fact that yours are on the palms does make me think of rmsf.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Anyone seen a Babesia Rash like this?
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehrlichiosis is similar (cousin) to RMSF. Your rash looks like mine did and I had both RMSF and Ehrlichiosis.

The rash appeared when I had Ehrlichiosis though, not with the RMSF.

I've not seen this type rash associated with babesia.

BTW- The pics online of RMSF usually only show the "worst" of the cases.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Karl,

Yours looks like the more typical Borrelia rashes I have seen online. Especially the pic of your hand. Do a search and you will see what I mean. The circular rashes are only one of many.

I have not been able to find my rash online anywhere. Seems like RMSF or Erlichia would be a better bet for me.

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Here are better images of the rash:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44676326@N02/?saved=1

Any help would be greatly appreciated in identifying this infection!

Thanks.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar rash on my scalp. I told my dermatologist that I thought it looked like RMSF. She told me if it was RMSF that I would be dead. That was 6/1/09 (the day I got a positive Lyme test). I recently decided to have a test on RMSF and Ehrlichiosis - they were both positive. So, even my dermatologist didn't recognize it.

Let us know how your blood test comes out.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scarlet fever? I had it as a child. Spread all

over. Then once it was everywhere it started

peeling in sheets. First off legs, then back then

to everything. It was wild. Turned burgundy right

before the peel. Even the hands peeled.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

No peeling. Just comes and goes like hives. Disappears completely at times (except for the palms) and then comes back after shower or exertion. They did not see vasculitis in the biopsy.
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Anyone else?
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried benedryl to see if it is allergic?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes & goes, is it changing at all each time? Is it getting progressively worse or better with each flare, or is each flare about the same in severity?

Is it only from hands spreading up arms to a bit on upper torso, or does it appear on feet/legs also?

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement