LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 2 wks. doxy runs out today; should i take amoxy until 12/17 LLMD appt?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2 wks. doxy runs out today; should i take amoxy until 12/17 LLMD appt?
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I convinced my PCP to prescribe me doxy. It was only for 2 weeks.

I've been taking 100mg 2x day. Today (11/19) is my last day [Frown]

I felt sicker than usual the first 48 hrs headache and worse brain fog.

Then I felt better for a day or two less aches, but now my neck really hurts.

I have a hard time moving my head. My lower back too, before the pain was localized now it seems to be spreading to the right side in my neck and in my lower back.

The brain fog is still there, although slightly better I think...

I need your advice on continuing on abx, but taking amoxi instead once the doxy runs out.

I have access to amoxi. Should I take it?

Fortunately, I have a appointment with a LLMD on 12/17, but I feel like something good is happening inside and I don't want to stop taking the abx.

Do you think it would be bad if I start taking the amoxi for another 2 weeks? I would stop the amoxi about 10 days prior to my LLMD visit.

I read that your body may produce IgM antibodies during this time due to the dead Bb in your blood.

My LLMD uses igenex and since I tested negative using Quest it would be some relief knowing that I'm positive via igenex.

BTW, I think I have Lyme disease since the early 90's and ignored the symptoms over the years.

However, now with the "brain fog" or encephalopathy there's no denying it.

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can tell you what to do been.

Are you asking if it will hurt you

or your chances at getting a positive test via

challenge. I would not think so.

But I may give it more than 10 days before

testing. More may have some better thoughts. UP.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justchugginalong
Member # 23309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justchugginalong   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if my answer will help. I just completed a 2 week treatment of Dyoxy w/o much success & I am know on Amoxy 2x's daily @ 500mg each. I don't know if the Amoxy will be helpful or not. Before I got the diagnosis of lyme, I went to gyn b/c ut & kidney bothering me. She did a urine screen and found bacteria. I told her that I had just found out I had lyme and she then prescribed me the Amoxy prescription mentioned above. The only thing i noticed with the amoxy is that my ut is feeling much better. Hope this is helpful info.
Posts: 72 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will your doc give you more doxy? I'm not really suggesting what you should do. Just if it was me, I would try to get the doxy extended to last until LLMD appointment. If not I would just wait until you see LLMD. Its only a month.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's best to call the LLMDs office for advice. Even if you've not yet yet been seen, the office manager may be able to guide you as to what the doctor would prefer prior to your appt.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnywv
Member # 23012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnywv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the same situation been,

i just called the LLMD office and they told me it

wouldn't hurt anything to be off Doxy for a

month. I am second guessing that and am going to

try to stay on it if at all possible

Posts: 72 | From West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pinelady,

I just want to make sure that the amoxy will be effective since I'm changing abx mid month.

justchugginalong,

Thanks for your input.

sutherngrl,

My PCP will not refill the doxy [Frown]

Keebler,

I called the LLMD's office and asked for advice, but since I'm not a patient yet they couldn't tell me what to do.

johnnywv,

I really don't want to stop taking the abx.

I can't handle the way I feel I'm desperate.

I so spaced out and detached that I don't feel human anymore.

My neck hurts so bad it feels like it's going to snap if I turn my head.

Now I keep getting lower back spasms too, I just want this nightmare to end.

I feel like if I continue with the amoxy at least I'll be killing the Bb instead
of letting it reproduce further.

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonyp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not self prescribe any abx as you have to stick with your LLMD plan. Besides, It is my understanding that amoxi has to be very very high dosage to be effective.

So your options, are to be persistent and try to get the renewal with your LLMD. Or there are many natural products that you can take to fill the void while you wait for your appointment. You can work on detox, immune building or try to kill the BB itself.

When I found myself waiting, I went the natural way to try to keep killing those buggers while you wait for your next appt.

By the way, the most effective treatment for me was doxy ( 400 mg per day for 4 months)

--------------------
Dx 3/2008 Pos. WB and Bart- igenex
Levequin 500 mg March 2008
Amox 6000 mg - May 2008
Doxy 400 mg - June - oct
Biaxin and Flagly 1000 each, oct-dec
Zitro, Malarone and Flagly Jan - feb
Remission for 6 months
Relapse Sept 2009 zithro/flagyl

Posts: 130 | From canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

tonyp,

I haven't seen a LLMD yet so I don't have a plan. The doxy was from my PCP and he will not refill it.

What "natural products" can I take to kill the Bb?

I'm already on all Dr. B's suggested supplements while taking abx.

Thanks,

Deb133
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb133     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxicillin is effective on very high doses. My

daughter is taking 3000 mg and is also taking

Tindamax. If it were me and knowing now what I know about this nasty beast I would take the

amoxicillin if I had access to it while waiting

for your LLMD appointment. My PCP did give

us a script for Amox (albiet a low dose but she tried) while we were waiting and at that time

we still didnt even have a positive Western Blot.

So thats just what I would do...you have to do

whats right for you. Perhaps the LLMD has

a cancellation list you can be put on.

Good luck...

Deb G

Posts: 499 | From Malta, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Unfortunately I only have enough amoxy for 10 days at 500mg 3x day, but it's better than nothing I guess.

Also, today more then 24hrs after my last dose of doxy (100mg) my neck isn't stiff anymore like it was.

It still hurts, but it doesn't feel like it's going to snap if I turn my head.

I thought that it's wired that my neck feels a little "better" while not taking the doxy?

Does anyone have any ideas why my neck would hurt less now that I stopped the doxy?

Was the neck pain/stiffness part of the herx?

Has anyone experience something similar.

Current symptoms are heart fluttering, fatigue, dizziness, red eyes with floaters, neck pain/cracks, lower back pain/spasms, disturbed sleep, and brain fog.

The brain fog is so bad today that everything feels surreal.

Thanks for reading...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement