LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » severe neck/spine pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: severe neck/spine pain
pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lyme for 4 years and, am also a figure skater so I kept thinking this back and neck/shoulder pain was from all the crazy positions I get my body into.

but I was off the ice for 2 months and.. I have this crazy pain in my upper back, mostly my shoulders and my neck. I'm constantly cracking my neck and back and it hurts to put my head back and I can't get it back up once it is back, I feel the pain in my very upper back and in the neck of course. And occasionally chest pain.

and just an overwhelming constant fatigue. like. can't physically get out of bed because I am so tired.

are these normal symptoms of lyme? I also have RA so that could be it but.. I just want to check to see if anyone has had the same issue? I saw a neurologist who tested for muscle problems or something and he said I was fine.

I was on IV abx for almost 2 years(rocephine, doxy, vancomycin) and my oral abx now are Biaxin and Plaquenil.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My biggest problems are debilatating fatigue and my neck/ upper back. I go to a chiro frequently and pop my own neck too. Feels a little better for a while. It's painful daily. I finally broke down and asked my Dr. for pain med. It was really painful during herx. I have been on Bactrim for a little over 2 mos. and it seems to be helping. Nothing else has. I have been on antibiotics about 2 1/2 yrs. 1 yr IV. I went back on orals.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think so - my first symptoms were in neck and shoulders. I think the Lyme bacteria inflames the cranial nerves, as well as the spinal cord dura, causing meningitis.

I get a lot of good chiropractic care. I almost think you would have to do all your skating first, and then get a chiro adjustment afterwards.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinkpixiedust211
Member # 14828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinkpixiedust211   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay thank you. I do have a chiropractor but I don't get to see him nearly as often as I need to. I should get on that.

i've tried.. so many different pain meds.. nothing has helped really. vicodin did for a little while and avinza and oral morphine but.. they all stopped helping over time.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em9OeiLkHUQ
www.twitter.com/kailua720

Lymie since 2005
Live well, love much, laugh often

Posts: 17 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is in my back starts in my upper neck area then spreads out to point i have to lay down. Its a feeling like i cant hold my head up. If i put my head back i get severly dizzy.
Fatigue is a major issue with lyme for everyone. Sever cant do anything no stamina fatigue.

Feel better soon

Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neck pain is my biggeswt problem.

I have not been able to site for more than 5 minutes a day without terribel neck pain.

If you haven;t already, I would ask about getting an MRI. There are a few of us that have had a lot of spinal deterioration due to teh lyme...

Also, Babesea can cause a lot of upper back and neck pain....

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this problem and I think the shoulder, back and neck discomfort and pain is due to Babesia. If you have one of the infrared light machines, like the Sota Lightworks or the DPL light therapy machine, you can irradiate the shoulders and see what happens. In my case, the muscles in my shoulder cramped up severely which suggested to me that there were bacteria living there causing the discomfort. I treated with the DPL for a while, then also started massaging the areas with bee venom ointment and metronidazole cream(both of which are for Lyme, although metronidazole (Flagyl) can be effective against some protozoa, and would herx strongly.

Unfortunately you have to go through a lot of pain to get better, but my shoulders, neck and back no longer hurt/ache the way they used to. The improvement got better with treatment for Babesia too.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement