LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Natural remedy for prostatitis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natural remedy for prostatitis?
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My urologist diagnosed me with prostatitis today. He gave me a Rx for Cipro. I've been off antibiotics for a few months and really don't want to start on them again. I don't do well with Cipro at all.

Anyone know a natural remedy for curing prostatitis?

Gary

P.S. The only antibiotic I can really handle is amoxicillin. If I do have to take antibiotics, will that treat prostatitis effectively?

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm not a guy but I come across a lot of research on natural medicine. Curcumin comes to mind as a great anti-inflammatory. I took a look at some of my top information sites to learn more. You can save these sites to search for other questions in the future.

A supplement might help offset whatever your problems are with cipro. Probiotics are a must with any antibiotic and also with garlic/allicin. Take Probiotics hours away from any antibiotic (abx).

Taking either allicin or olive leaf extract can also diminish chances of developing a candida infection from the abx. According to some research, Cipro can be taken with other antimicrobial supplements.

You'd really want to know what type of prostatitis you have, although I assume it's bacterial or your doctor would not have prescribed Cipro.

========================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostatitis

Prostatitis -

The term prostatitis refers, in its strictest sense, to histological (microscopic) inflammation of the tissue of the prostate gland, although it is loosely (and confusingly) used to describe several completely different conditions.

To remedy this, the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) devised a new classification system in 1999, comprising four categories of prostatitis:

. . .

Each category is described at the link above.

=======================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Prostatitis, Cipro - 124 abstracts

Prostatitis, Amoxicillin - 20 abstracts

Prostatitis, herbal - 51 abstracts

Prostatitis, Curcumin - 2 abstracts

Curcumin - 3011 abstracts

Curcumin, inflammation - 282 abstracts

Curcumin, prostate - 104 abstracts

---

Allicin - 319 abstracts

Garlic, prostate - 49 abstracts

Prostatitis, Garlic - one abstract

========================

From Vitamin Research:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=prostatitis

Search results for prostatitis: 6 Articles

=========================

From The Institute of Traditional Medicine:

http://www.itmonline.org/

Search for prostatitis: 4 articles

=================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

Prostatitis - 10 search results

========================

Regarding allicin, for lyme (in general and the very best source through Hepapro):

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Book: Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through

www.hepapro.com

-

[ 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
From The Institute of Traditional Medicine, A few links regarding Herbal SAFETY and Rx INTERACTIONS:

www.itmonline.org/safety.htm - over 35 separate articles.

www.itmonline.org/arts/herbdrug.htm - 2000

www.itmonline.org/arts/herbdrug2.htm - 2003

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nanosilver has cured my prostatitis. I took the one from Nutrasilver for several months. It has been a while since an the prostatitis has not come back.

I used product from Nutrasilver.

The product didn't help for my LD.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband used to have trouble all the time until he began taking Saw Palmetto with Pygeum. No problems since then... we're talking at least 5 yrs.

He uses the Jarrow brand from Vitacost.

Good luck with it!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto the Saw Palmetto.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
progesterone cream. 10mg daily
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions.

Keebler, I appreciate all the research you do for so many of us. Thanks!

kelmo, progesterone cream is for women from what I've been reading. How does that help me with prostatitis?

Arneli, Nanosilver is pretty controversial stuff from what I've read. Not sure I'm bold enough to risk taking that, but appreciate your input. Glad it worked for you!

Lymetoo and WildCondor, it appears that Saw Palmetto with Pygeum is something a lot of men get good results with. I think I'm going to try this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Hope that helps. While it's mentioned through some of the sites above, this will take you right to articles on that.

Zeroing in at Vitamin Research's site:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Saw_Palmetto_with_Pygeum

Saw Palmetto with Pygeum - 49 articles

---------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

abstracts

Saw Palmetto with Pygeum - 20 abstracts

=======================

Curious, I did a Google search for "progesterone for men" - there are some good links that you might want to take a look at. It's not just for women, it seems.

Better yet, I see much more detailed links by cross-searching: prostatitis, progesterone

=======

I'm not sure if Saw Palmetto with Pygeum is antimicrobial but you'd want to be sure infection is addressed in addition to inflammation.

As for the controversial stuff around silver, most of that is from poor quality home-made with the wrong kind of water or by people gulping it like guppies.

Some silver sources are quiet good. A good quality silver kept me out of a wheel chair years ago.
-

[ 11-24-2009, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately Saw Palmetto has been shown to NOT work over in over in scientific tests. It wouldn't hurt I guess, but it won't do much good either.

If your prostatitis is caused by a bacteria, you need an abx.

However, IN SOME CASES (maybe not yours) I believe that lyme can be associated with chronic prostatitis. You know, a Dr gives a man abx for prostatitis for a couple of weeks and then it comes back. Then the Dr says "it's not caused by a germ". The same old story.

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James.. but prevention is the key to the saw palmetto and I think you need to take the pygeum as well in order for it to work.

My husband begins having problems if he runs out of it.... so we keep him supplied!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

James, my doctor suspects it's a bacteria but my urine test was fine and the culture test for urinary tract infection turned up negative. I've been tested for yeast--negative.

The burning and pain happens three of four times a week, not daily. I don't want to take antibiotics. I prefer a natural remedy to kill the bacteria if that's what I have.

Gary

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement