LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MS breakthrough????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MS breakthrough????
emla999/Lyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multiple Sclerosis breakthrough????

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091120/MS_W5_091120/20091120?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091121/bc_multiple_sclerosis_091121/20091121/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

http://csvi-ms.net/en/content/ccsvi-huge-breakthrough-ms

Quote:

"I am convinced that CCSVI is a huge breakthrough for MS. Correction of this problem with a relatively simple procedure may well turn out to be a very effective, long lasting, drug-free treatment for MS at the time of diagnosis."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/researchers-labour-of-love-leads-to-ms-breakthrough/article1372414/

"Using ultrasound, Zamboni discovered that almost all MS patients have blocked or twisted veins in their necks and upper chest, while healthy people do not.

Zamboni has dubbed the vein condition CCSVI, or Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and believes that in those with the condition, blood fails to properly drain from the brain and can even flow back upwards into the brain.

There, the blood could be depositing IRON, a substance that is toxic to the brain's grey matter. This excess IRON could be what sets off a host of immune reactions -- and possibly, the symptoms of MS."

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extremely interesting. If its indeed true it would be also interesting to know what causes those vascular problems. Many MS patients improve on ABX protocol (such as CPN protocol) - on thisisms forums there are plenty of examples.

So I wonder still if underlying cause is still infectious in nature. Albeit simple surgery looks like a great treatment regardless the cause

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if some of us have the same thing?

and I agree with coltman.. still seems to be plenty of evidence of an infectious origin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always felt that there was something wrong in my neck/arteries. I have MS symptoms.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too many things just don't fit.....there is a distinct geographic distribution of MS and venous insufficiency doesn't work.

Also, there are the interesting migration studies that show that risk of MS rises when one moves to high MS areas especially before a certain age, and that symptoms usually begin about 10 yrs after the migration, venous insufficiency doesn't work to explain this either.

MS acts like an infection and physiologically it acts just like an infection(it's just that they haven't been able to find the actual pathogen------although some were absolutely sure it was a spirochete back in the 1920' and we've spent the rest of the time looking in the wrong direction).
We do have one disease that acts EXACTLY like MS and that is neuroborreliosis.......Same clinical symptoms and same laboratory indicators. Hmmmmm.

Go read an MS board sometime......It's amazing how awful they feel when they take antibiotics. Some even stay away from them because they feel like they have relapses when they take them. Can you say "HERXHEIMER"?

It may be that MSers have some occluded cerebral veins, but I highly doubt this is the cause or the cure for MS. Too much epithelial damage occurs from suspected pathogens to rule out that chronic infection might cause this narrowing. Furthermore, the veins that are occluded have developed lots of collateral veins with which to drain the blood.

Oh, and Iron deposits......those occur in ALS, Parkinson's, Alzheimers, and are not unique to MS. Are all these disease processes caused by Chronic Cerebral Venous Insufficiency? Not according to Zamboni.

It's a shame when we are willing to dole out lots of dangerous drugs and now invasive (and possibly dangerous) treatment like stenting, but neuros won't throw their patients just getting an MS dx on a couple months of abx.

I think Zamboni and crew (including evil Patricia Coyle, Lyme/MS connection denialist extraordinaire from Stony Brook) are trying to put out a house fire with a squirt bottle.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

We do have one disease that acts EXACTLY like MS and that is neuroborreliosis.......Same clinical symptoms and same laboratory indicators. Hmmmmm.

Could be different things -not lyme only

quote:

It's a shame when we are willing to dole out lots of dangerous drugs and now invasive (and possibly dangerous) treatment like stenting, but neuros won't throw their patients just getting an MS dx on a couple months of abx.

I think Zamboni and crew (including evil Patricia Coyle, Lyme/MS connection denialist extraordinaire from Stony Brook) are trying to put out a house fire with a squirt bottle.

I think the guy genuinely cares though. Being surgeon its kinda naturally he looked this way. Regardless of underlying cause - if his treatment helps MS patients its great!- its much better option than immuno suppressants (which are proven of being unhelpful in the long term)

One thing though vascular disease is another set of diseases nobody cares too look the cause at. - they are just happy to leave it to surgeons and be done with it (like no one really found out why strokes occur , they developed a slew of meds (statins) which are addressing the symptom and not the cause again) -I bet if the guys is right same exact thing would happen to MS.

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's generally assumed that MS is an autoimmune disease

Bull
Check Lida Mattman its a species of Borrelia closely related to lyme.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by treepatrol:
It's generally assumed that MS is an autoimmune disease

I started hating this term. Seems they want to plaster that label on many of uncurable idiopathic diseases - just so they can push immuno suppressants.

Do you guys know how expensive mainstream MS drugs are? -and they keep coming up with new ones ,none of them cures it but as soon as old ones patent expires they come up with new one and keep the margins and profits astronomically high. Its a golden goose for pharma.

-Again no conspiracies there, its just how business works and they are naturally inclined to promote and keep their source of income safe. Not to mention all the Ph.D' s made on promoting that point of view

"managing" disease without providing cure is the beast course of action for them ,therefore they will defend that position at all cost. Given that most mainstream research is actually pharma sponsored it will be very hard to change status quo

Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yea......MS drugs are mucho expensive and efficacy...hahahahaha.

My husband is MS dx'd and doing nicely on abx.

Oh, and by the way....stents in your jugulars can be complicated. Just read of a man whose stent came loose, ended up in his heart and he underwent open heart surgery....It seems he is rethinking taking the risk he took to "cure" his MS. Such a shame.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 2 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thoroughly convinced after all these years and all the documents i have read auto-immune is exactly that a Dr's term for Ill treat your pain and Manage it for you but I wont figure out what the real problem is ie bacterial or virus related cause.

Lida Mattman 1993,Marburg D 1942,Hassan G 1939,Rogers H 1932,USA.

France- Guirand P 1931,Austregesilo A 1933,Blackman N 1936.

Germany- Steiner G 1927,Scheinken I 1937.

Marshall,Vincent DVM. Medical Hypotheses,88, 1988

This is just in MS multiple sclerosis and some other diseases.
They the Drs all know this if they dont there to busy looking at the forest for the trees.

The bottom line -and most disturbing thing- to me is that the MS society refuses to put out money for intensive research even after Dr. Vincent Marshall's exhaustive research from the 80's showing spirochetes on the axons of nerves of MS patient autopsies in Europe. When viruses became popular, they threw the baby out with the bathwater and now research funding is geared toward viruses and immunologic work; bacteria taking a second seat. The worst of all, there is no etiology to MS or other autoimmune diseases and there seems to be clinical response of polymyalgia rheumatica, MS, polymyositis, rheumatoid disease, Alzheimer's, ADD, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and other diseases such as lupus (we see them feeling better) when given antibiotic therapy. This is most frightening when the antibiotic therapy is taken away from them by their rheumatologists and ignored by their internists. The very key that may unlock the door to these illnesses and the publications that implicated ALS and other life-threatening diseases are being ignored as having an infectious underpinning.

Citations:

I believe that MS has a bacterial etiology. This is supported by published research going back as far as 1906. The bacteria is a spirochete, similar to but not the same as the trepanome which causes syphylis or Borrelia Burgdorferi which causes Lyme. This same bacteria is also found in CFS and Lupus patients as well as in some people who are not apparently ill. It may be cultured from the blood, spinal fluid, or urine. It is very dificult to culture, requiring special media and a special microscope to see
it.

The bacteria may be treated succesfully in many cases with long term high dose
antibiotics over a period of 3 months to as long as 18 months. I was personally treated by Dr. Wechter with the result that my MS symptoms are in complete remission--dare I say cured?

While many patients have been treated, no scientific study has been done. I am raising money(personally--don't send a donation!) to get a proper double blind placebo study going. If your organization would like to organize such a study, I would be interested in contributing financially.

People and references:

Dr. Vincent Marshall is an expert in spirochetal research and MS and author of one of the pivotal papers in this area. He is a DVM with much experience with animal spirochetes including having developed a commercial vaccine.
255 Elliot St.
Council Bluffs, Iowa 51501
712-325-0515

Dr. Luther Lindtner is a Professor of Medicine at Texas A&M University. He independentlt re-discovered the bacteria, without reference to eralier work. He can offer blood testing for the spirochetes, and advice to physicians on the treatment protocol.
Ph. 409-845-7260.

Professor Emeritus Dr. Lida Mattman is a biologist at Wayne State University . She is culturing these bacteria and knows people who are being treated successfully. She is generous and cooperative. 313-577-8003

Dr. Steven Wechter at Immune Technologies Inc. Clrearwater FL has testing and treatment facilities. His is the only commercial clinic specializing in this bacteria. They do a good job, but they do require the patient to travel to the clinic in person which can be expensive. Ph. 813-442-4545

Dr. John Griffin developed MS himself, and after consulting with Dr. Marshall treated himself. After he recovered, he began treating other MS patients (for free!). Has helped in treating over 700 patients. Reportedly has now retired, so I have removed his number.

Dr. William Maitland treats mainly chronic fatigue patients, but will treat MS patients, with the same drugs as Wechter. He has a very high success rate attributable to careful follow-up. He spent a brief stint in the US and now operates in Australia.
22 Hallham St., Charlestown, NSW 2290. Fax 011-61-049-425401

Some Refs in chronological order:

1. Buzzard E F Spirochetes in M.S. Lancet 11:98 1911

2. Bullock W E (now Gye) MS agent in Rabbits Lancet 1185 1913

3. Kuhn P., Steiner G. Uber Die Ursache der M.S. Med Knli, 13:1001, 1917

4. Steiner G. Guinea pig inoculation with MS tissues. Arch. f Psych. v Nervenkrankh Berline LX, 1918

5. Steiner G. MS agent inoculation in monkeys. Zeitscr f. diges Neurol v Psychiat. Reger at Berlin XVLL: 491, 1919

6. Blacklock JW MS agent in Rabbits J. Path and Bact. 28:1, 1925

7. Steiner G. Silver Staining of MS tissues. Nervenarzt 6:281, 1932

8. Rogers, Helen J. The question of silver cells as proof of the spirochetal theory of disseminated sclerosis. J. Neurol and Psychopathol. 13:50, 1932

9. Austregesilo A. Le schlerose en plaques de form subalque apropos d'un case. L'Encephale 28:633, 1933

10. Steiner G. Is MS an etiologically uniform infectious disease? Detroit Med. News Educational Issues 32:7, 1941

11. Adams D L Spirochetes in the ventricular fluid of monkeys inoculated from case of disseminated sclerosis. Surgo 14:11 1948

12. Steiner G. Acute plaques in M.S., their pathogenetic significance and the role of spirochetes as the etiological factor. J. Neuropath. and Exp. Neur. 11:no 4:343, 1954

13. Steiner G. Morphology of spirochaeta myelopthora in M.S. J. Neuropath. and Exp. Neur. 13:221, 1954 <THIS ONE IS EXCELLENT>

14. Ichelson R R Cultivation of Spirochaetes from spinal fluids of MS cases and negative controls. Procl Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 70:411, 1957

15. Gay D Dick G Is multiple sclerosis caused by an oral spirochaete? Lancet (1986 Jul 12) 2(8498):75-7
Abstract
Evidence of a direct link between chronic sinusitis and multiple sclerosis (MS) prompted examination of the old "spirochaetal hypothesis". This hypothesis has not been shown to be erroneous and a spirochaetal infection of the central nervous system could explain the specific pathological, immunological, and epidemiological features of MS.

16. Marshall V Multiple sclerosis is a chronic central nervous system infection by a spirochetal agent. Med Hypotheses (1988 Feb) 25(2):89-92

17.Marshall V The relationship of peripheral nervous system (PNS) pathology to multiple sclerosis (MS) J Neurol Sci (1988 Mar) 84(1):117-9
Abstract:
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic central nervous system (CNS) infection similar to Lyme Disease or Neurosyphilis in its latency period, pathogenesis, symptoms, histopathology and chronic CNS involvement. It does not have as yet a fully identified spirochetal etiological agent. Much research and clinical support for this hypothesis was published before 1954 and is based on silver staining of neural lesions, animal isolation of the etiologic agent and the characteristic symptoms and pathogenesis of the d
isease. If this hypothesis is correct, the disease should be treatable with antibacterial agents that penetrate the CNS (such as high dose antibiotics), diagnosable by specific immunological tests, and preventable by early treatment or by the use of vaccines in high risk populations.

Something to digest hahaha [Big Grin]

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Published in "Medical Hypotheses" (1988) 25, 89-92.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is a chronic central nervous system (CNS) infection somewhat similar to Lyme Disease (LD) or neurosyphilis in latency period, pathogenesis, symptoms, histopathology and chronic CNS involvement. It does not have as yet a fully identified spirochetal etiological agent.

Much clinical support for this hypothesis was published before 1954 and is based on silver stained neural lesions, animal isolation of the etiologic agent and the characteristic symptoms and pathogenesis of the disease. If this hypothesis is correct, the disease should be treatable with antibacterial agents that penetrate the CNS [antibiotics], diagnosible by immunological tests, and preventable.

Introduction:

From 1909 until the mid 1950's many physicians considered multiple sclerosis (MS) to be a spirochetal infection because of its similarity to other spirochetal diseases and abundant published research implicating spirochetes in the etiology of MS.

Spirochaeta myelophthora, Dr. Steiner's etiological agent is similar to the B. burgdorferi agent of Lyme disease.
Research confirming a spirochetal etiology of MS flourished before the 1954 period. Spirochetes were isolated from MS patients' cerebral spinal fluid by inoculation of guinea pigs, rabbits, and monkeys.

Many publications demonstrated spirochetes by silver staining of brain tissues of MS victims. These papers were numerous before 1935 with most from MS medical research at that time being done in Germany. After the advent of Nazism many leading researchers disappeared either in the holocaust or the war, resulting in an eclipse of this work.

The last papers on silver staining of MS were published in the U.S.A. in the early1950's by Dr Gabriel Steiner one of the few pre-World War II German MS researchers who survived to continue his work.

In the early 1950's an unfortunate paper was published in support of this work by an American researcher. Shortly after publishing, the author retracted the work explaining distilled water contaminated with spirochetes caused false positive cultures, but her paper was repeatedly refuted by some some researchers who tried to discreditation of the whole 50 years of accumulated reliable evidence on the spirochetal etiology of MS. In effect, "the baby was thrown out with the bathwater".

About the same time, much money became available for viral research from private and governmental agencies.

This money started going at first to investigate a possible etiological relationship between MS and polio, but this was shown to be a nonviable approach (Polio disappeared and MS remained). Studies were then expanded to other viruses such as scrapie, swayback, retroviruses, visna, measles, distemper and many others. One by one, these viral etiologies have largely been discredited. However, 40 years of this emphasis on viral etiology has firmly implanted the "virus origin" of MS into the minds of the medical practitioners, teachers, and researchers who were trained during this long period. The prevalent attitude has become, "MS is a viral disease; we do not know which virus yet, but we will find it someday".

Unfortunately, this resulted in a complete amnesia of the spirochetal theory during the period when antibiotics came into use. In one of his last papers (early 1950's) relating spirochetes to MS, Steiner commented that with the advent of antibiotics, MS might in the future only be of historical interest.

Evidence in Support of the Spirochetal Hypothesis:

1. The long latent period during which few or no CNS symptoms are expressed in many MS patients is also characteristic of many spirochetal diseases of
man [Relapsing Fever, Neurosyphilis, Lyme disease, etc.]
2. Chronic neurological infections are characteristic of most spirochetal diseases of man and animals and often last for periods of many years
3. In MS and other spirochetal infections of man, chronic eye and neurological symptoms are commonly seen.

4. The CNS lesions in MS, Syphilis and Lyme Disease are similar in histological appearance (the perivascular locations of the lesions, the spread via the perivenous sinuses of the CNS , and the very nature of the lesions which are rich in inflammatory cells and sometimes contain spirochetes). These points toward MS being a chronic spirochetal disease of the central nervous system.

5. Neurological involvement may often occur in the early stages of many spirochetal infections of man. After an acute neurological infection (which may be clinical or subclinical), spirochetal organisms may survive sequestered away in those areas of the CNS where they are isolated from contact with the immune system, or somehow establish an equilibrium with the cell mediated immune system's protective mechanisms generated locally in the brain. In this way they can survive asymptomatically in the brain for varying periods of time. In some spirochetal infections there can be repeated episodes of neurological symptoms with short periods of remissions in-between as this fragile equilibrium shifts in favor of, or against, the spirochete (as in Leptospirosis, Relapsing fever and Lyme Disease). In some diseases, the remission or latent period may be quite stable, lasting 15-30 years or more, as in Syphilis or Lyme disease. Chronicity, latency and periods of remission can be seen in MS and other spirochetal diseases .

6. MS is more prevalent among people with close associations with animals, the environmental reservoirs of most spirochetes. In urban areas MS has been heavily associated with contact with dogs (leptospiral urinary shedding, and ticks infected with Lyme disease spirochetes are common in dogs). High infection rates of Leptospirosis, Lyme disease and MS occur in dairy farming areas, including Minnesota, Wisconsin, New England, the Pacific Northwest, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Western Europe (9).

7. The characteristic geographic distribution of MS seems to closely coincide with the geographic prevalence of Lyme disease. The insect vector of Lyme disease would explain the family and geographic foci seen both in Lyme disease and MS.

Comment:

The routine methods used in virus research can miss spirochetes. Spirochetes require special media for culturing, special staining methods for visualization, specialized inoculation methods and selection of species for animal inoculations, and specialized microscopes. We have recently seen many examples of "newly discovered" bacterial etiological agents that were missed for many decades.

Examples of this are the Legionaire's agent, Lyme disease spirochete, and bacterial agents in stomach ulcers and in Heart Disease. The older MS research using silver staining and animal isolation is very convincing evidence of a relationship of spirochetes to MS.

Silver staining (a largely lost art) has been instrumental in the discovery of both Legionaire's and Lyme disease agents and was used in much of the earlier MS spirochetal research. It is certainly worthy of further investigation now that so many wonderful techniques have been developed that were unavailable to the original researchers.

The MS Society has not only been a principal source of MS research grants, but it has greatly influenced the amount of money provided and direction taken by other granting foundations and governmental agencies towards MS research.

Unfortunately, the Society has never funded a single investigation of spirochetes. This area of research has been very effectively stonewalled during the entire life of the society, reflecting the opinions of its leaders and scientific advisors.

The etiology of MS may still be waiting to be discovered in this era of enormous
ly rapid advances in biological sciences only because the research has been misdirected. Few people are looking for the actual culprit because of the total lack of support, financially and otherwise, necessary to use the specialized methods required for spirochetal research.

This type of research is long overdue and will be very fruitful, but it requires rethinking from those organizations that have stubbornly resisted this approach for over four decades.

Conclusions:

The study of spirochetes in the etiology of MS is long overdue. A quick evaluation would be possible if researchers trained in spirochetal work were properly motivated and supported.
Antibiotics should be useful to prevent and treat MS if this hypothesis is correct.

Medical practitioners and researchers might consider using antibiotics as treatments for MS patients who do not respond well to the usual supportive and immunosuppresive treatments.

There are few viable alternative treatments and the risks are minimal. Antibiotics are also an indicated therapy in conjunction with immunosuppressive drug treatment to prevent secondary bacterial infections. A controlled antibiotic treatment trial would be a good project for a major clinic as one method of proving or disproving spirochetal involvement.

In MS cases that are unresponsive to standard treatment or are of the unremitting continuous type, the use of antibiotic treatment would be logical both as the best alternative for the patient and as supportive treatment if immune suppression is used.

For effective control of MS, it's cause must be recognized. The "Unknown Etiology of MS" is the result of a TABOO imposed on research involving the spirochetal agent that so often may play a critical role in the real etiology of MS.

For the last half century, many hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent in unsuccessful searches for "possible" viral etiologies, while the real cause of much MS continues to be ignored.

Before the early 1950 period, many published articles on MS research had already demonstrated that MS can often be caused by a spirochetal infection of the brain quite similar to that also seen in many other common neurological diseases of man such as Syphilis, Lyme Disease, Relapsing Fever, etc.

All this rather promising work was scuttled in favor of the virus research that has yet to find the etiological agent of MS. The "Mystery of MS" has been perpetuated by continuing to pursue failed viral approaches and stubbornly refusing to fund any research at all on the real agent involved in MS etiology.

For effective control any infectious diseases, it is first necessary to know what really is being treating. Viruses require different therapies than spirochetal infections. Currently used MS therapies produce few if any longterm benefits and often may have dangerous side effects. Early therapy of MS patients with antibiotics has arrested disease progression or even "cured" some patients with MS.

--------------------

Newbie Links

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't it be that the ``Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency'' was present or developed first, which set up the perfect environment for the pathogen (which may have been present or came later)?

To one degree or another, most 'invaders' are opportunistic.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have to be open to a possible renegade treatment that appears to stop progression. those of us who wANT to continue to find the etiology for a total recovery can and will. otherwise we sound like just the naysayers who shoot us down, IMO.
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tfrank
Member # 22943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tfrank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme and MS may often be mistaken, but the two are not the same. Even though the cause of MS is unknown, it is possible for a careful neurologist to differentiate (not with 100% certainty, of course, but largely) between Lyme and what is known as MS.

The Columbia University Medical Center Lyme and Tick-Borne Diseases Research Center (very much aware of the existence of chronic Lyme) has this to say:

. . . MS and Lyme Disease may cause brain and spinal MRI hyperintense lesions. Lyme Disease however more often causes a CSF pleocytosis and elevated protein. In Lyme Disease, evoked potential studies are generally but not always normal. MS patients do not have extra-neural features, as one may often find in patients with neurologic Lyme Disease (arthralgias, arthritis, myalgias, erythema migrans, carditis). Generally with MS, the laboratory studies reveal "abnormal evoked potentials (50%), CSF oligoclonal bands (90-95%), intrathecal IgG production (70-90%), and CSF myelin basic protein." (Coyle, 1992, Seminars in Neurology). . . .

EDIT: I have to say, though, that I think Coyle probably should have talked to a few more MS patients! All the MS patients I know, including the ones with the lab results this quote gives as typical, have myalgias. Several have joint pain as well, but I think that common point of view is that the joint pain is a result of muscle spasticity - that is, the body is out of balance, which naturally strains the joints and leads to pain.

Posts: 13 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Coyle..blahhhh. Anyone quoting her is full of it. I don't care if it is Columbia/Fallen. They walk a fine line over there at Columbia, and sometimes I think they don't do us a lot of favors.

Coyle has her tentacles in this new CCVI stuff--cause, you know, she already proved that MS does not have an infectious origin.

I'd challenge any doctor to differentiate MS from lyme by her above criteria. And if this is the case, my husband (who is MS dx'd) had no oligoclonal bands, no IgG in CSF and no myelin basic protein. hMMMM how'd he get diagnosed with MS?

And just so everyone is clear.....The doctor putting stents in MS veins had a patient that had one come loose, knock around his heart for several days, and had to undergo open heart surgery.

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Lida Mattman Speaking

--------------------

Newbie Links

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the talk about CCSVI
http://www.thisisms.com/forum-40.html

Here they mention the one guy with the loose stent: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-9176-0.html so they had to stop treatment suddenly monday

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lactoferrin binds iron. Many pathogens use iron...which is why we go into an iron-storage mode (spleen can enlarge). Bb has a gene for transferrin - transports iron.

"H16" is a group/classification for vascular diseases. (It took me a long time to find that information.)

HHV6 (2008 source):

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/219019-overview

Conflicting research re: HHV6 (different forms eexist) and MS:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/HumanHerpesVirus6.html

Regarding "geographical" link to MS:

Go here:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/facts.html

Scroll down to this statement:

Sunlight and seasons

Keep in mind...when mice infected with Bb are ***exposed to sunlight*** -> *greater infection*. (I linked that before.)

I think it is not the normal D3 response which causes the increased infection, but maybe due to our INITIAL reaction to UV light exposure...

Because of this statement:

"Inhibition of cutaneous

***UV light-induced tumor necrosis (factor-alpha) protein production***"

UV light induces TNF alpha!

I think Bb (and some other pathogens) count on us to have an inflammtory reaction and use it against us.

I think the "cure" is 2-fold: reduce TNF alpha and IL1 B (bigtime)= reduce inflammation, WHILE hitting Bb (or other pathogens) with known effective medicines.

HHV6 new patent:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090068253

Back to lyme:

Many moons ago (on this board) we discussed radon therapy. Arthritic persons went deep into DARK caves to be exposed to radon - intentionally - to help treat their arthritis.

Not far-fetched:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/39vbmv9gqg73b7qe/

Once again...get inflammation down WHILE hitting the pathogen.

And in Romania, docs gave IV Mg (anti-inflammatory) AND IV abx. to cure early onset lyme.

1. Tame down the inflammation
2. Hit the pathogen

Sorta logical they chose Tetracycline initially and

tell us to stay out of the sunlight!

Newbies: the insulation around our nerves is called the myelin sheath. It comes FROM cholesterol.

Bb follows the "cholesterol pathway" to BUILD "his" cell walls (phospholipids/lipoproteins).

All of our own cells use cholesterol for their cell membranes.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Cell-Membrane.html

I like the saturated (hydrogen loaded) medium chain fatty acids in virgin coconut oil for their NATURAL anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties...as well as the impact on a particular ketone and an enzyme called ACC2.

VCO and (bad) LDL cholesterol:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15329324

VCO and vascular diseases:

"Researchers found that native populations that depend on coconut for a large part of their diets have little or no cancer and coronary heart disease, and only develop those problems when they move away and adopt western style diets.

One advantage of looking at traditional diets and cooking is that you can see the positive long term effects of certain foods and oils.

Modern oils have not undergone such a lengthy test of time and yet already appear to have a negative impact on health in various ways.

Native populations that have lived on coconuts and cooked with coconut oil for thousands of years have a history of good health.

Prior and Davidson concluded in their study of the Pukapuka and Tokelau Islanders that ``vascular disease is uncommon in both populations and there is no evidence of the high saturated fat intake having a harmful effect in these populations.'' (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 34: 1552-1561, 1981.)

To the contrary, it is only when these islanders left their native islands and moved to New Zealand where they consumed less saturated fat that they developed heart disease and cancer."

http://www.naturalhealthstrategies.com/healthy-cooking-oil.html

Benefits of coconuts:

"Cast Away: Tom Hanks loses 40 pounds on crabs & coconuts diet"

Survival and other interesting uses:

http://www.survivaliq.com/survival/edible-and-medicinal-plants-coconut.htm

[ 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is anybody pursuing this?
Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement