LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help: best probiotic to take?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help: best probiotic to take?!
tdono7
Member # 19047

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tdono7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
My husband will be starting Cefdinir today and I am wondering if he should be taking a probiotic as well? His doctor gave him samples of Culturelle, is this enough? Also, has anyone had any luck with Cefdinir??
Thanks so much for your help!

Posts: 25 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Cefdinir an antibiotic?? If so, then YES he needs a probiotic.

I think Culterelle is a pretty low quality probiotic.** If he's going to be on long term abx, then get him on something like Theralac, Florastor, or Ultimate Flora. (The UF can be found in health food stores.. refrigerated.)

www.theralac.com

I have no financial interest in the Theralac...just love it!!

PS.. if you get the theralac, take one to two per day while on abx. It says fewer, but we who have Lyme know we need more!

** Maybe I should have said it's a FAIR quality probiotic.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto for Theralac

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theralac here, too.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My research on and experimentation with probiotics has yielded the following results:

1) What is a great probiotic for one person might not work very well for another person. Both Theralac and Ultimate Flora did very little to help me, but the Theralac was great for my husband--and for many others here on Lymenet!

2) Florastor or products that contain Saccharomyces boulardii, while not "technically" a probiotic (it's a beneficial yeast) have been clinically proven to reduce the incidence of C. difficile.

3) It can be helpful to take at least two different brands of probiotics, even if they supposedly contain the same types of bacteria.

4) Of course, take your probiotics a few hours apart from your antibiotics.

5) Better quality probiotics usually cost more. However, just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's going a great product, or that it's a great product for *you*.

-AnnaL

P.S. My favorite brands are currently: Natren Healthy Trinity, Sedona Labs iFlora, and Pharmax HLC Intensive capsules.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended jarro-Dophilus EPS because it has 8 strains and are enteric coated (important, because otherwise the stomach breaks down the bacteria before it has a chance to get to the intestines, where it is needed).

It is what I take---not a personal endorsement. I am simply following doctor's orders.

Jarrow.com

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take Theralac. It's been a very good one for me.
Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought VSL #3 was the gold standard.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
I thought VSL #3 was the gold standard. [/QB]

That was the one I meant to say instead of Florastor! [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have decent insurance, I recommend VSL #3 DS. A partial dose of one packet has several times the bacteria you'll find in OTC brands -- even in good brands. One full packet has an insane amount of bacteria, something like 900 billion consisting of different strains.

And assuming your insurance covers it, it's really cost effective, as you don't have to take a full packet daily.

[ 11-28-2009, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Lemon-Lyme ]

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL # 3 is tested for potency, as is Florastor. Patients take note that Florastor is not really a probiotic, but a beneficial yeast that helps colonize the GI tract to prevent c.diff while you are taking antibiotics, and afterward.

If you can take 1/2 packet of VSL # 3 per day and 2 Florastor, one if cost is an issue. Theralac and UltraFlora are good basic probiotics. You can usually get Florastor covered with insurance, and it is now on most hospital formularies due to the high incidence of c.diff seen there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Lemon-Lyme:

And assuming your insurance covers it, it's really cost effective, as you don't have to take a full packet daily.

Good to know!!!!

Insurance would pay for an OTC?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does VSL #3 stand for, so I can find out if it is covered under my Rx insurance?
Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VSL#3. Your insurance may cover it. It scan be prescribed by your doctor in double strength form. I.E. 900 Billion instead of 450.

The name is just VSL#3, that's what it's listed under.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Great, mine covers VSL#3 DS 20s.
Now I need to decide if thats what I want to do or stick with jarrow, which seems to be working for me.

Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

So far, the differences I found were:
=======================================
VSL#3 Ds
900 billion bacteria per packet

*Lactobacillus casei
*Lactobacillus plantarum
*Lactobacillus acidophilus
Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp bulgaricus
*Bifidobacteria longum
*Bifidobacteria breve
Bifidobacteria infantis
Streptococcus salivarius subsp thermophilus
@ my price $28 (with prescription)per 60 packets
dose: 1/2 packet per day
40 cents per day
====================================

Jarrow-Dophilus EPS
5 billion organisms per capsule

*Lactobacillus casei R0215
*Lactobacillus plantarum R1012
*Lactobacillus acidophilus
*Bifidobacteria longum
*Bifidobacteria breve (Morinaga strain)
L. rhamnosus R0011
Pediococcus acidlactici R1001
Lactococcus lactis ssp. lactis R1058
@ my price $25.87 per 120 capsules (dose: 2 caps per day)
90 cents per day
=================================

Is my math right? (not having a good day)

My husband and I both take probiotics, so the savings would be double (80 cents vs. 180 cents per day for the two of us)

For the year: $290 vs $650
?????
Is this right?

The more I try to think about it, the more confused I'm getting.

Can someone help me?

At any rate....there seems to be a lot more bacteria in the VSL for about half the price of the Jarrow. There are a few differences between the compounds...do any of you know the difference between the three that are different between the two?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wow. That's pretty low for the Jarrow.

I'm checking my insurance coverage as soon as I can!

I wonder if 1/2 packet is enough??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insurance usually pays for VSL #3 DS, but not the OTC version -- or at least my insurance works that way.

I usually take 1/3rd a packet for 300 billion bacteria daily. So that's 10 packets/month.

And my doc wrote the script for 4 packets daily (max recommended amount). So for a $20 copay, I get 120 packets, which is approx. a year's supply of probiotics (or until the VSL goes bad).

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, Lemon! I'm checking into this!! Sure would save me some $$$$$.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked our insurance - neither is covered. They're listed, but not covered. And I need a strong probiotic.

I have been able to manage very well on Culturelle, but not anymore. I'm now up to 2 after each meal with a cup of yogurt.

But I'm surviving on Nystatin. Right now I'm brushing my mouth with a very soft toothbrush and Nystatin and using the Nystatin the regular swish till you're about to puke, then swallow. I used to like the flavor.

My mouth is so sore. I'll try the Theralac. I've heard good things about it. Thanks for all the info.

Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried Theralac and other probiotics but did not find they were helpful for me and were quite expensive.

I tried Digestive Advantage Sustain and Digestive Advantage IBS formula, whch are much less expensive and available at Wal-Mart and Target. I got the most success with Dig Adv IBS formula.

I take 1 or 2 at bedtime.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdono7
Member # 19047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdono7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for all of your posts, I really appreciate it!!! = )
Posts: 25 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement