LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Big Fat Relapse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big Fat Relapse
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 9 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sad.

After being off abx for 6 months, I have finally accepted that I am in a full blown relapse. It has happened over 6 weeks. I have no idea what set this off, maybe just stress??

What made me realize this is a relapse is that even my joints in my toes and fingers are screaming in pain. I have a sore throat for weeks now. I am nauseous and have vomited. This was all GONE!

I see my llmd the 10th of december. I will finally be able to get Igenex testing (previously tested pos thru quest) for the first time.

should I be off abx prior to testing with them or should I be put on abx now?

I am devastated although not surprised. I do not think I have the strength to do this again.

I was "only" sick 2 years, but it was enough for me. I am afraid for my safety (not now, but eventually) I think I might go crazy, and I am not being funny or exagerating. I did a few times the first 2 years.

GOd please help me.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really heartbreaking. I'm so sorry, merrygirl. You don't deserve that! ( no one does, of course! )

I promise you will make it through this!!!!

I would not take abx for at least 10 days prior to testing... for best results.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry to hear about this.

How long did you treat before stopping?

For me when I feel really bad and question my safety, I tell myself to just get through the next 5 minutes (or 1 minute, or 10 seconds, whatever amount of time I think I can stand) and then keep repeating the process, upping the time as I can, until I feel better.

Good luck with the testing and LLMD. I'm sure you can get through this again.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think this means you have Lyme deeply set in the brain - when I stop ABX I can now go for longer periods but always have to get back on ABX due to neuro symptoms from deep in the brain.

I look at it as progress that I can go a little bit longer, from yr. to yr., before knowing I have to get back on ABX. Also the symptoms clear up faster now too. But I still need that ABX for the tenacious spirochetes!

Why do I stop ABX - because I have been treated for many yrs. now and sometimes I just need an ABX break.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl,

Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you....it stinks to have felt better and then relapse...one day at a time.

Just remember that the craziness is the disease and not you...I know that the mental health stuff is scary to think about...hopefully this time around you won't go through that part of the disease.

Get back on your meds and maybe the joint issues will clear relatively quickly...that's what I'm hoping for you.

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
merrygirl, hang in there. I crashed recently after stopping abx for two weeks. I think that a cold helped it take off again. It could be that your immune system was still fragile when you came off abx the first time. Maybe have your LLMD check CD-57 again.

Dr. B does mention that some lyme patients will need abx indefinitely as ESG suggests.

ESG, can you tell us what abx/dose you use as a maintenance regimen? Thanks.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful2010
Member # 22958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel your pain. I have had a bad time recently also.

The other day I was driving by a local small airport and I thought, I'd like to hop on a plane and just get away from all this craziness for a while. Then I realized - the spirochetes are inside me - How can I get away? That thought freaked me out for a while but later I was better.

I do believe that there is a plan for our lives even if it doesn't make sense now.

Hang in there, there will be better days ahead. I'll be praying for you.

Posts: 86 | From California | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Doxy (two 100 mg 2X) and Tindamax (500 mg 2X): I now take this Monday & Tuesday then Thursday & Friday. I keep experimenting - how long can I take a break, which combo works best re. doses & days used (i.e. always use the Tidamax or only use it twice a week).

I no longer go to an LLMD as I could not longer afford it plus the overnight stay in NY State; local doc willing to help me out.

Best article that helped me: "Bell's Palsy of the Gut" by Virginia T. Sherr: explained so much docs could not explain to me; helped me understand that I still have deeply ingrained in the brain spirochetes still to do battle with! Other symptoms are so much better; these deep-seated neuro ones remain the problem after 10 yrs. of treatment/mistreatment in varying degrees.

I take a break once or twice a yr. - I know it is time to get back on when I start choking on my saliva... and that goes away when I start on ABX again.

I no longer think of it as a relapse - I am now positive it is the deep-in-the-brain stuff taking over again. I often think that I am in a power struggle with the spirochetes: if I can keep them one step behind me as opposed to one step ahead of me, then I am doing well.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turmeric is also good for inflammation.

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling bad again Merry. [Frown]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Carol and Six said.

Hugs, merry.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys.

I am currently on heavy duty pain meds, magnesium b12 injections, oooh Ijust realized I can take a dose of tylenol. yipee. at least it might help.

Its like I want to cry but I cant. Its awful.

My llmd is going to let me do magnesium injections IM at home. Maybe I can move up my appt.

I really appreciate everyones support. My hubby just isnt getting it.

Thanks again,
melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey merry...

I do believe the worst thing I've experienced is feeling better FINALLY... then going downhill again. It has to be the most depressing part of this JUNK we are dealing with.

After years of this roller coaster ride I've resigned myself to treating as needed.

For example- if the bladder acts up... I take an antibiotic and whatever else is needed... that targets the bladder.. and treat it.

If my brain is falling apart, I'll take an antibiotic that crosses the blood brain barrier.

It is sort of like the IDSA protocol... treating only the symptoms.. but I do it with antibiotics rather than steroids or having surgeries, etc. I have MANY symptoms but usually target the worst of them... making the others more tolerable.

My goal is to not relapse badly and allow more damage to occur. I have to hit it when it becomes evident I need to.

In between targeting the symptoms I take breaks because I just can't "do" antibiotics year round.

So don't be un-merry.... ok? It can be hard but after a while it becomes part of life. Like a diabetic must get use to addressing their sugar levels.... we need to address our spirochetal levels.

Now let me see a big old smile on that pretty face!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Rife would help you stay antibiotic free once you his remission. It has for some others.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry Merry. It can be so depressing going from feeling good to a relapse. I'm in the same situation right now, too.

Just as we got better before we will do it again. Just keep that thought. You did it before so you can and will do it again.

Just hang in there and remember that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry that you are living this again. I was off antibiotics for four years before I relapsed this summer. I hate the mind stuff the worst, but I also know that they were reduced throughout treatment and eventually all went away over time and treatment.

You have experienced great healing before and should remind yourself that healing can come once again over time.

I am about to be tested thru Igenex by my LLMD on December 7th. They requested that I be off all antibiotics for two weeks prior to this test for best results. I would check with your LLMD about what their procedure is.

This is a journey best taken only one step at a time, one day or moment at a time. I'm hoping this time around will be better for me because I have developed more resources to deal with things and we know what worked last time around.

Hang in there, and I will pray that you receive encouragement for you as you begin on this new journey.

B4

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear about your relapse. I, too, relapsed after 6 months off meds... am recovering pretty quickly after retreatment, though.

Wishing you a fast recovery!

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on. Praying its not that bad.

Are you also on thyroid? My hands and feet hurt so

bad I could scream. Then they went numb and I felt

nothing most of the time. Hopefully you and monkey

will hang together and get better fast.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How ya hanging in there?

I started my meds today. I have my fingers crossed for both of us.

Hopefully it won't be so bad this time around.

I am sure you feel just as disappointed as I do.

Take care, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement