LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » don't buy your drugs at CVS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: don't buy your drugs at CVS
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/12/02/cvs-in-court-again-for-even-more-expired-drugs-milk-eggs/
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do feel strange when CVS gives me my azithromyacin that the box says expires on "April 14" but no year.

And I always have other problems with CVS, but its the only 24/7 pharmacy around, so I just put up with it.

Yesterday I tried to refill my azithromyacin and they gave me YAZ birth control. I'm a 20 year old male! I bet they mixed them up and someone got my azithromyacin instead of their YAZ.

But now I think I'll call Greenstone(Pfizer) to see when the azithromyacin actually expires.

Edit: Just called Pfizer, they say it expires in April 2014, which is hard for me to believe, but they also said the Lot # on the box was not in their system, so they couldn't give me any more details. What a load of crap. My call was then transferred to the outsourced complaint department from India. Oh well.

[ 12-03-2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: mixxster ]

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angrob75
Member # 16942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angrob75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...CVS filled a script for me and gave me 8 times the dose i was suppose to get.

After loosing my eyesight, body going limp, loss of hearing...all of this for about 30 mintues a squad ride to the hospital, and several seizures i found out that they gave me the wrong doseage.

Do not trust what they give you and always, always make copies of the script before turning them in just in case.

Posts: 55 | From ohio | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am grateful for my CVS pharmacy. Had a horrible experience at Kroger before finally transferring all my RX's.

My CVS pharmacists are caring, professional, and extremely helpful. They always take the time to make sure that my prescriptions are right. They've ordered things that are not usually kept in stock, worked with my doctor's office, and my insurance company to help help me get what I need.

The general store is also neat, clean, and well stocked. I have seen others that are not up to the same standard. I think that it all in how the individual store is managed.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angrob75:
I agree...CVS filled a script for me and gave me 8 times the dose i was suppose to get.

After loosing my eyesight, body going limp, loss of hearing...all of this for about 30 mintues a squad ride to the hospital, and several seizures i found out that they gave me the wrong doseage.

Do not trust what they give you and always, always make copies of the script before turning them in just in case.

Did you sue? When I was a workers' comp case manager, a CVS put the wrong instructions on a bottle and my client was getting 4 times the dose of Elavil. He ended up with liver damage. He hired an atty and got loads of money off CVS. Poor guy ... he already had plenty of problems without that.

I discovered the error when the client kept talking about taking 4 pills at a time and how horrible he was feeling and I asked him to read the bottle instructions to me. Sure enough, way too much. I told him to go immediately to the CVS and ask for a copy of the prescription without telling them why. He did and the error was obvious.

I saw a horrible story on Dr. G one night about a young boy who was taking a drug for ADHD. The pharmacy gave him the wrong drug, and he DIED. Not CVS, but still ... with the high volume of these pharmacies, mistakes will happen.

Be careful out there!

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with my CVS pharmacy (knock on wood)... I like them better than others...

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten the wrong pills from there more than once, and often they can't fill my Rx's correctly the first time.

They also have several times failed to enter my refills when I drop off a new script, so even if my doc writes 4 refills they enter it as none and then I need to call and bug my doc in between appointments.

Frequently they will give me only one pill and tell me to come back the next day for the rest of the amount, and when I do return they again offer me one or 2 pills but claim not to have the full amount.

I also once had the pharmacist asking me why I was on different abx and wanting to know what my diagnosis is. I had not asked for any advice, I was simply making a drop off. I did not give her any answers as she doesn't need to know, but I was bothered by her persistent questioning.

I have switched to another pharmacy for new scripts but still have some refills at CVS. I'll be glad when I'm done with them!

I was in the habit of going there and also liked the 24 hour feature, looking back on what I just wrote though I should have switched sooner!

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CVS is the worst pharmacy EVER!!! I live in a pretty big city in CA and there are MANY other pharmacies, so I only go to CVS when my Walgreens won't fill a certain rx.

My LLMD rx'd a med that is a lot higher than the normal dose and Walgreens was uncomfortable giving it to me, even called my Doc to make sure it was right.

My mom then said to me, go to CVS, they'll surely fill it for you. Sure enough, they filled it without even asking a question and the med is literally 3-4 times the normal dose.

And, they WROTE on the actual prescription to change the Dr's orders...still trying to fight that one.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on a drug called Indocin and developed uncontrollable movements in my arms and legs.

I was too weak to find the info myself so I called my CVS pharmacist and asked if the drug did anything unusual. He said NO just GI issues.

boy was I horrified after I stopped the med and had the movements stop to read on the side effects, call your doctor if you develop any of these unusual side effects: UNCONTROLLABLE MOVEMENTS.

I was angry that the pharm. never bothered to look.

Posts: 207 | From NH | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CVS is the best and I will never switch. This article doesn't say anything about expired prescription drugs.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This pertains to over the counter (OTC) meds and products...it has nothing to do with prescription drugs. I've never had a problem with them at all in 5 years.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love our CVS after terrible times at a Rite Aid which bought-out our wonderful Brooks; ours is one of the CT ones in trouble, but if you read the article, they were caught for selling OTC meds that were "up to 6 mos. past" the date: note the "up to" which makes a good scandalous news story without quite exaggerating, and old milk & eggs & baby formula. Why would anyone go buy food at a CVS and why do pharmacies sell food anyway?

I always double check anything with an expiration date: it is the first thing I look for; taught my kids to always check expiration dates. It is all too easy to leave a container of OTC meds pushed in the back: how well do you clean out your own pantry?

As for prescription: CVS was not selling old meds, not a single CVS cited was doing that. I have once been given the wrong meds, but at another drugstore, not CVS.

I always check the labels & then the actual pills.

Read the side effects before starting new meds, do some research on the Internet; always keep the paperwork & the list if side effects.

I also always read what doc has prescribed before leaving the office: if in doubt make sure you ask the doc what the Rx says before you leave his/her office.

Our pharmacy has the picture of your pill and an exact description of it on the paperwork you get: always check that too. Our CVS also tells you if the brand looks different from the last time you got a refill.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
considering that hospitals, doctors, and pharmacies all make mistakes and most hospital fatalities are due to human errors, I do not see why LymeNet should be a venue for dissing one particular pharmacy.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CVS has been great to me, perhaps because they have been charging my insurance company a small fortune for medications for the last three years. [Smile]

Seriously though, this thread is pretty lame.

There are no perfect people, perfect institutions, or perfect anything.

We could post endlessly "don't buy your stuff here, don't go shopping there" for whatever reason. It's a waste of time and just fear mongering that serves no purpose.

I really hope we can try to focus our efforts on sharing helpful information w/ one another that will aid in speeding all of our recoveries since that is why we are all here, right?

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally do find information regarding corporate irresponsibility helpful. As this is in regards to a drug store chair where many members shop for both OTC and Rx medications, it seems relevant to me.

I'm happy for those who have expressed satisfaction with their CVS stores, ans wish all good health.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a heads up for Mepron users.

Ordered Mepron for my son at cvs. Got home and the bottle had no saftey seal around the cap. Medical insert was on the bottom of the box instead of on top.

Took it back. They acted like I was an idiot. They showed me another bottle of Mepron off the shelf, it too had no seal. They said alot of their meds come that way. Yeah right, what have they been up to?

Well I refused the bottle, and told them if they could not find me an unopened, sealed bottle I would get my meds filled elsewhere.

Low and behold, they found a bottle that had a protective seal.

I would not have noticed if I had not read this post.

Thankyou Yanivnaced.

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CVS was kind to a relative when no one else was.
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, but this is a narrow minded thread here, do you really think CVS would be operating if their integrity was seriously in question? And isn't the focus of a lyme disease board prescription drugs not OTC? This article is irrelevant.

Mine is awesome. My pharmacist even corrected my LLMD's prescription when it was too high. Good catch because I would be popping abx w/out thinking.

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement