LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 5-HTP questions for users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 5-HTP questions for users
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys-

I have narrowed down my insomnia to a few possible reasons, one of them being low seratonin. (waiting on neuro-transmitter testing for results)

Anyway, I began supplementing w/ 100mg 5-HTP @ bedtime and I notice the next day I am more hung over, more out of it, and less able to concentrate.

This lasts for 1-3 hours upon waking.

Question: Anyone else experience this? Is this possibly my serotonin levels trying to re-balance or is this a side-effect experienced?

I have noticed today my mood is a bit better, so it seems to have helped "some", but the sleep was no better and the morning symptoms as described above are not pleasant.

I have only taken it two nights though, and I understand that it not long enough to formulate an opinion.

Any user input would be appreciated.

I do have depression like symptoms (de-realization, detachment, overall lack of feeling) so I was hoping this would help that as well as sleep.

Thank in advance for any input offered.

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking it at the same dose for insomnia, along with a low dose of melatonin, not time released. Seems to help and have not had the effect you describe, but people are different in their responses to anything.

If you don't like this one, maybe valerian or something else. Have heard that it works best to combine these sleep aids.

And benedryl can make you sleepy, but probably don't want to do this longterm.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lou.

I am more interested in it raising my serotonin than having it put me to sleep, although that'd be nice too.

I am going to stick w/ it for a few more nights and see how I respond.

I am also taking it w/ Lunesta so that could be an issue, although I am unsure how to figure that one out..

Valerian is no good for me, and benadryl also.

Thanks for the recommendations though.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt like that for a while in the beginning, have been taking it for over a year now and only need to take 50 mg at night.

On a rare occasion I wake up during the night and take another 50, then I will have a hangover in the morning

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Renee-

are/were you taking for sleep or depression symptoms or both?

thanks

--------------------

[email protected]

B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried taking a little less to begin with like 50mg? Maybe you could take it an hour before going to bed and see if that works. Many herbal supplements for sleep are taken that way.

B4

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
djf

Taking it for sleep....

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

I am cutting it to 50mg tonight. well see.

thanks

--------------------

[email protected]

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your best bet is to wait for your test results to come back. 5htp converts to serotonin and serotonin converts to melatonin, which may be the reason why you feel the way you do.

When you have a complete picture of what is going on with your neuro transmitters, only then can a protocol be prescribed for you that will hopefully address your issues. As I mentioned before, it's a fine art to be able to re-balance neuro transmitters and they all work in concert, therefore, 5htp alone may not be what your body needs.

The testing results usually come back in about ten days.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Yeah the kit is not even being sent until the 10th now and the results take 1-2 weeks thereafter I was told via phone today so the 5htp is just an intermediary attempt right now.

I am sure 5thp is not all I need and I may not need it at all but it's just for the here and now.

I am looking forward to the results and will adjust accordingly then.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Derek

--------------------

[email protected]

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They always say the results take that long but in my experience the results often come faster.

Why in the world is the kit being sent on the 10th when it's a take home test and you mail it in yourself?

I hope it is being handled properly.

I understand that you were trying it for the "meantime".

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Thats good, I hope they do come faster.

The kit is being sent on the 10th due to availability and consultation date.
(consult is needed if my Dr. is not a member)

I am sure it's being handled properly, I was on the phone with them for 20 minutes with questions, they were very nice.

Ill report back when I can

Thanks

Derek

--------------------

[email protected]

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Gotcha. I thought you had already done the test and it was sitting somewhere waiting to be submitted.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the symptoms you mentioned, Sam-e would probably be more helpful. But it will be good to see the NT testing results.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Depending on the results sometimes they do recommend SAM-e, especially if your GABA levels are low. I was on it a while back.
djf2005
Member # 11449

I tried Sam-E for one week w/ no reuslt.

Perhaps I will return to it if directed.

I know it also improves methylation which is most likely an issue for me as well, so who knows.

The lower dose of 5-thp last night (50mg) seems to have left me w/ little hangover and I slept 6 solid hours last night. That's good for me.

Thanks for all your advice/comments..

Best

Derek

--------------------

[email protected]

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD tested my serotonin level and found it was low. (I forget why she tested it. It may have been because of my poor sleep.) She started me on 5-HTP 50 mg.

I had no hangover, it doesn't help my sleep, either. What was really neat was all of the sudden I started remembering happy memories. I guessed I was depressed.

I increased it to 100mg, I don't remember why I did that, either. LOL I have found when I go off of it I get depressed pretty quick. It isn't a bad depression, but who needs it?

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement