LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question -- viruses/diseases from mosquitoes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question -- viruses/diseases from mosquitoes?
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering lately... can mosquitoes or other (flying and biting) bugs spread chronic-type diseases that would result in symptoms similar to Lyme? I think I've read that Bartonella can be spread by mosquitoes, for instance.

Although I realize this a a Lyme forum, other tickly diseases, parasites, etc. are covered, so am hoping someone can provide some info there.

Recently I became curious about this, as when thinking back about my symptoms, I realized they started approx 10 years ago, and then relapsed around 5 years ago. And both times I had a part-time job at a beach where I received an insane number of bug bites, primarily from mosquitoes, but basically any flying sort of bug bit me at some point.

I have also been bitten by at least one sickly tick, so am not saying Lyme or other tick diseases aren't causing my symptoms. Just curious if there are any buggy viruses or other types of diseases from non-ticks that could be complicating matters for me.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Different types of insects can carry lyme.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm convinced that I got lyme and co from mosquito bites.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies, but I was really wondering if my doc should test for anything else besides Lyme (West Nile or similar sorts of diseases) that could be transmitted by mosquitoes. I'm just not knowledgeable about what, if any, long term diseases that mosquitoes can transmit.
Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StopTheItchPlz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure my first exposure was due to fleas.

I wonder, how many lymies are the kind of people that attract bugs? I have been one to be bitten by everything, bugs just love my chemistry or whatever. Have always been a bug magnet, even as a small child.

I have had some extremely bad spider, mosquito and flea bites in my lifetime. No bullseye until this year though.

Lemon-Lyme, you should be tested for lyme and the coinfections plus anything a good LLMD would recommend. Do you have a LLMD?

Posts: 50 | From Midwest | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.canlyme.com/mosquitos_carry_lyme.html
From CanLyme:

Folia Biol (Krakow). 2007;55(3-4):143-6

Ticks and mosquitoes as vectors of Borrelia burgdorferi s. l. in the forested areas of Szczecin.
Kosik-Bogacka DI, Kuzna-Grygiel W, Jaborowska M.

Department of Biology and Medical Parasitology, Pomeranian Medical University, Powstancow Wielkopolskich Av. 72, 70-111 Szczecin, Poland. [email protected]

The aim of the study was to determine the infection level of adult forms and larvae of ticks and mosquitoes with Borrelia burgdorferi in the forested areas of Szczecin. A total of 1699 ticks Ixodes ricinus, including 1422 nymphs, 277 adult forms and 2862 mosquito females representing the genera Aedes (89.6%) and Culex (10.4%) were collected between the years 2004 and 2005. A further 3746 larvae and 1596 pupae of Culex pipiens pipiens were colleted from water bodies. Borrelia burgdorferi s. l. was detected in the arthropods by the method of indirect immunofluorescence assay (IFA). A positive immunological reaction was detected in 16.6% of the adult forms and in 16.5% of the nymphs of Ixodes ricinus.

Spirochetes were also detected in 1.7% of mosquito females, 3.2% of larvae and in 1.6% of pupae of Culex pipiens pipiens. The results of the present study confirm that contact with ticks constitutes the main risk of contracting Lyme disease, although mosquitoes play a role as vectors as well.

Isolation of Borrelia afzelii from overwintering Culex pipiens biotype molestus mosquitoes.
Ann Agric Environ Med. 2006;13(2):345-8.

* Zakovska A, * Capkova L, * Sery O, * Halouzka J, * Dendis M.

Department of Comparative Animal Physiology and General Zoology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Kotlarska 2, CZ-611 37 Brno, Czech Republic; [email protected].

A total of 662 samples (winter period: 469; summer period: 193 specimens) of female mosquitoes of the genus Culex, Aedes and Anopheles were collected during the period March 2000-April 2001 from the locality of Vysoke Myto (Eastern Bohemia, Czech Republic). They were examined by dark field microscopy for the presence of spirochetes. The motile spirochetes were observed in 4.2 % of all species of investigated mosquitoes. One spirochetal strain out of the 8 isolation attempts (BRZ14) was obtained (cultivation rate was 12.5 %) and the spirochetal strain was then successfully cultivated and identified using PCR for the presence of Borrelia burgdorferi s.l., and subsequently with the RFLP as genomospecies Borrelia afzelii. This strain was derived from overwintering Culex (Culex) pipiens biotype molestus female mosquitoe. This is apparently one of the sporadic cases of the occurrence of pathogenic borreliae in haematophagous arthropods, other than Ixodes ricinus complex ticks.

=======================
And to stoptheitchplz:
Yes, I am like a human bug repellent. The people near me are less likely to be bitten by the bugs because they are all going for MY blood. My dad was the same way; we would both be covered with bites while everyone else had only a couple.

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

quote:
Originally posted by StopTheItchPlz:

Lemon-Lyme, you should be tested for lyme and the coinfections plus anything a good LLMD would recommend. Do you have a LLMD?

Yeah, I've been seeing an ILADS doc for around 7-8 months now. I've had the normal round of testing (Igenex WB, IGM positive, and IGG positive for ehrlichia, spotted fever and typhus). Doctor suspects Bart, even though I test negative.

Minimal improvement so far, so was wondering if there was anything else worth testing for as far as buggy diseases go.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement