LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Very healing food and diet.. is Soup!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very healing food and diet.. is Soup!
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that soup is the best food and it very healing as well as gentle on the system.

I try to make my own soups and it is good to do when your not feeling well because a crock pot can last you a good while.

Fresh organic ingredients and veggie and chicken soups are my favorite.

If you let a good couple of chicken breasts cook first and then add the rest of the items the whole chicken breast will just fall apart into those nice stringy pieces and then the fresh veggies will not get overcooked..

i have read over and over how steamed or barely cooked veggies are better on your system as opposed to fresh like salads or even smoothies..

my mother is on macro biotic and that is one of the rules they have and feel is very important.

So the soup gives you that as well as the broth and esp in the winter I live on soup...

Its GOOD FOOD.

Campbell was right..

I keep organic canned soup for the times I just can not cook.. And for the ones i just do not like to have a lot of or that I do not like cooking to keep a variety going.

Also lentil and bean soups are great for protein.

I just love soup and it has all that we need and our systems love it..

I am going for an all soup diet again here now with still protien shakes and blender drinks too for in the Am and some green blender drinks mixed in there...

PS. do not forget you can add things like chopped kale in your soup which is such a great source of nutrients..

My mother has Kael and miso soup for every breakfast...

Miso soup is great too for enzymes.... and digestion...

Again. soup soup soup..

: )

Try it if you are not already doing so.> I think you will feel the benefits

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this! Looking for some gluten free soup recipes that taste good! I have noticed that with my digestive issues/nausea, soup has been the one thing that I crave and can digest.

Thanks again!!

:-)

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love homemade soup also....no sugar and additives like in the canned stuff.

Every February we have a Soup party at our house.

About 6 other couples come and everyone, including me, makes a crockpot full of soup.

I also make a salad, and get crusty bread and desserts (not for me, though).

We enjoy trying everyone's soups and are stuffed by the time we try them all.

It's a nice idea for the winter and fun too.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love soups too, but I'm the only one here who will eat it.

I like the idea of a soup party!

Maybe I'll do that when I start my Sunday school class next year.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make soups all the time and love them, too!!!

Careful of Crock Pots, sadly, they have lead. I thought it must be untrue, so Googled it and could find nothing to say they are safe. If you find otherwise, PLEASE let me know!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...I had never heard that before about lead in crock pots so I googled it and you are right. How awful. BUT what I did read in several places is that Hamilton Beach says that their crock pots do not contain lead so you might want to check into that. If that is the case then you can try one of theirs.

I was glad to see that because I didn't have a crock pot and just bought one recently and it is a Hamilton Beach. I am still investigating further though.

Take Care!
Pam :-)

[ 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Pam08 ]

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS...I just found this article from last month which was a bit reassuring. This lady called several companies to ask about lead in their crock pots AND also had her own independent test done on several crock pots to check for lead leaching. No lead was found which is good to hear.

Here is the link so you can read the article.

http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2009/11/09/the-skinny-on-lead-in-crock-pots-it-may-surprise-you/

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Hamilton Beach too.

Sometimes the benefit can outweigh the risk, but being informed is good and making good choices based on that information is all we can do.

"Upon further investigation, I called Hamilton Beach (1-800-851-8900) and they assured me that their crock pots do not contain any lead or cadmium. (Cadmium is another highly toxic metal associated with zinc ores. Oil paint used by artist's contain a lot of Cadmium and Zinc.... Cadmium Red...Cadmium Yellow... Zinc White. It's also found in industries where ore is being processed or smelted. Ceramic can be colored with Cadmium colors.)"

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're soup fanatics here as well.

Tomorrow is my son's 9th birthday and we always let the birthday person choose their favorite birthday dinner. My son chose my homemade turkey soup!

We'll have some nice whole wheat rolls with it, maybe a salad, some kind of fruit like melon, and also some cheeses or something like that. I love to put a bunch of different things out.

I need to go check my crock pot now to see what brand it is. I don't use it too often but do occasionally.

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Anyone want to share any of their recipes i would love that..

I have been stuck on the couple that i do and i love them but am always up for learning more..

I really need a good Soup Cookbook.

Hmm An idea for an xmas gift. I never can give any ideas of what I want so i just thought of a great one!!!

Thanks for any ideas...

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

I could go for some recipes too! I love soup but have only made it a few times. Normally it is just me throwing in things that I think will work LOL! Otherwise I just buy organic soups which I know still aren't as healthy as if I make them myself.

I do like kale though so that is definitely a good suggestion. I use kale when I juice a lot of times. My boss gave me a recipe years ago for some kale and bean type soup and it was really good. I don't know what I did with the recipe though. Maybe I will try to find it.

A soup cookbook sounds like a good gift to ask for. Maybe I should get one myself.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on the Hamilton Beach crockpots! Mine is an OLD one my mom had that is a Rival. I am sure it's bad. I do have to worry about lead as I was lead toxic.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another big soup eater here! I just make mine on top of the stove in a big pot.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great spring. I also add coconut milk and cayenne pepper, cilantro and some lemon grass to the chicken soup stock also to make a thai soup,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love soup, too. I feel like I am doing my body good when I eat it. We just had homemade veggie soup last night. [Big Grin]

Next on my list to make is Manhattan Clam Chowder (only I don't put clams in because they are like rubber LOL).

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never made soup from a recipe. I just throw things in there so each batch is always different.

One of the ones I make is with ground turkey breast.

I saute some onions, peppers, and garlic in a bit of olive oil. Then add the turkey and cook till no longer pink.

Then I add the broth, preferably home made chicken stock.

I simmer that for a bit and start adding celery, carrots, cut up tomatoes, potatoes, and some spices.

I'll add peas or green beans, cabbage, some type of legume(white beans work well), corn...Sometimes whatever veggie I have leftover in the fridge.

At the end, I add some fresh herbs.

I've also replaced the potato with whole wheat pasta or rice but I think potatoes work best.

I bet turnips would be good in it, or some type of greens.

The sky's the limit! Just chuck stuff in.

It's a really nice clean tasting soup.

Soup is so easy to make and SO good.

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another soup fan here! I make a soup every Monday for dinner and use it up for lunch sometime in the week.

Even very plain ones [ie onion and one veg] can work very well with the right herbs, spices and a good stock.

Butternut squash, for example, with garlic cumin, chilli and coriander [and coconut milk if required] is very easy apart from the peeling and chopping of the squash. It is a very good winter warmer.

You can make this easier for yourself if you have 'Lyme hands' by cooking the whole unpeeled squash for 5 minutes with a little water and pan lid on.

This makes it easy to peel and chop!

Leek and carrot is another old favourite: I could live on different soups!

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On crock pots great care has to be used when we label something. I now this comparison is a bit extreme, hopefully it makes a point.

Don't breath the air because it has lead in it.

Don't drink the water because it has lead in it.

There are just something we can't escape. You just have to intelligently reduce your risk.

When looking at crockpots they may have lead in them, but no lead residue may find its way in your food. Unlike tap water, when water passes by soldering joints in metal pipes, lead is leached into the water. You are probably getting more lead from tap water in soooooo many places.

I have soup often mostly organic unless my wife makes it. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some ideas for those who have household members that don't consider soup a "meal" (I have one of these but I love soup as a meal & have found a couple of work-arounds):

Use less water to make a more condensed stock, serve as a stew to the heartier eaters, ladling over egg noodles or brown rice & add more water to your own.

You can also separately roast extra chicken or beef to add to that person's meal.

Sometimes I'll make chicken soup by cooking a whole chicken plus some extra thighs in the stock, then removing the meat & allowing it to cool a bit while I cut up & add the veggies.

I then debone & cut up the chicken. I keep some for adding to the hot soup when serving.

The rest I add to 2 cans creamed condensed soup, 1 can milk, a little soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, parsley & sometimes a little "blackened seasoning", "Essence of Emeril" or just cayenne pepper.....Voila! Creamed chicken to serve over rice. (I usually serve this with green beans & salad.)

I find www.allrecipes.com to be a great resource for soup ideas. You can enter specific words or ingredients to search for recipes or browse them by category.

Some soups I enjoy other than old-fashioned chicken (in chicken stock w/celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, parsley, bit of garlic powder, turmeric & salt & pepper to taste) and beef stew (pretty much the same but with just enough beef(not chicken) stock to cover browned beef & veggies, beef, and no turmeric - the ratio of this uses more carrots & onions than the chicken soup [Smile] )are Escarole & beans, minestrone, navy bean, summer veggie w/zucchini, diced tomato & parsley in chicken stock, butternut squash, Pasta Fagioli (macaroni & beans).

Soup can really be made out of whatever you have on hand & stock (chicken, beef or veggie), if you have a good selection of herbs on hand.

I find it's good to keep both dry & canned beans on hand (in case I don't have time to soak them). Canned tomato, Extra Virgin olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice & parsley, chili powder, ginger & soy sauce, oregano, and grated cheese can each take the same basic soup to an entirely different flavor.

I used to cook everything by taste, smell, sense & memory and create new dishes by knowing what tastes complimented each other. When I was having serious neurological impairment, my family thought I didn't love them anymore. [lol]

I started burning everything (including myself) & leaving out key ingredients. Nothing tasted right anymore. I couldn't "doctor" anything and FORGET about their cheesecakes, brownies, cookies & other "goodies".

Lyme sucked all the joy out of my kitchen & off of our table. [Frown]

I used to make one soup that my DH considered a meal. It was a thick, rich, sinful soup.

I browned pounded, diced chicken breast in olive oil, garlic & onion, added diced celery & mushrooms, cream of celery, cream of mushroom & cream of chicken, chopped spinach, italian parsley, chicken stock & light cream, fresh-grated Locatelli Romano cheese, cheese tortellini(no nutmeg), cavatelli(made w/ricotta) and mini cheese ravioli.

It would warm your soul (and probably clog your arteries [lol] ). I used to reserve this one for bitter, snowy days. I wonder if I could somehow convert it to a healthier version. Doubt it. [Roll Eyes] [shake]

The best thing about soups is that you can get a good deal of the nutrients just by drinking the broth. It's great if your appetite is lacking and your energy is low.

Also, chicken soup has been scientifically proven to have anti-inflammatory properties & they haven't been able to figure out why. If they could figure it out, they'd put it into pills & sell it to us for a hundred bucks a bottle, I'm sure. [Big Grin]

Thanks for posting this thread. I just figured out what I'm making for dinner tonight.

Actually, I have a lot of Grannie Smith apples on hand that will need to be eaten soon. I just might split the chicken base into two different soups & make some Mulligatawny as well. YUM!

Bon Appetit! [Wink]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One gadget that has really helped me with making soups is the Vadalia Chopper. It makes cutting the veggies so much easier and faster!

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn! I just thought of a great soup, but don't have any tomatoes on hand!

Saute garlic in olive oil until golden brown.
Add finely diced onion (or leeks or shallots) and cook until soft.

Sautee different types of fish, cut into cubes, turning to sear, then remove fish to a bowl temporarily.

Add canned (or fresh) diced plum tomatoes, chicken or veggie stock, a little lemon & a dash of balsamic vinegar to pan & allow to cook for a little while until tomatoes are softened to your liking. (This is also delicious with Zucchini & yellow squash and/or Shi-take(misspelled to avoid censorship [Roll Eyes] ) mushrooms added at this stage)

Return fish to the pan, along with finely sliced fresh Italian(flat) parlsey.
Add salt & pepper to taste.

You can also add a tiny bit of oregano and/or cayenne or crushed red pepper, when adding the tomato & stock (if you enjoy spicier food)

Note: If you prepare this with less stock, it is also delicious served over Angel Hair pasta! [Wink]

I also used to sometimes add shrimp & scallops and use white wine instead of the balsamic, but had to adapt to avoid antagonizing inflammation. [Roll Eyes]

Edit to add: If you don't care for fish, this is also delicious with pounded, sliced chicken breast substituted for fish. When making with chicken, skip removing to a bowl & just add the stock & tomatoes. The chicken isn't as likely to fall apart and does better if those flavors are cooked into it.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

thank you AIIG!!!

Those are great ideas and recipies. Thanks for the link too. I agree. the natural cook abilities go away when your sick. It sucks.

I love the chicken broth..it is very healing your right. I wish I could share my new batch with you. ITs wonderful if I do ssay so myself.

I will toast a piece of spelt bread with it if I feel like I need something .. Extra..

My Spelt bread lasts a whole month for one loaf so I do not eat much of it but because it is spelt I feel ok about it..

Yummy.

Toasting does something special too.. isnt it interesting.

I forgot my carrots this time.> Oppps.. Lyme brain.... Still it is great.! The Kale adds a special different something.

Thanks again for sharing...

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What sucks is, it's hard to be vegetarian AND gluten free. There's hardly any good soups out there that are veg (no dairy either) AND gluten free unless I make my own and that can get hard when you're not feeling well to do all the cutting and chopping and standing.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

I totally disagree Disturbme

I do use some chicken and love my chicken soup.

But most the of the time I do vegetarian and I was brought up vegetarian and my mother is vegetarian..

You can do all the normal soups and leave out the meat and they are absolutely delicious. I like them better witout the meat.

Nothing persona but those recipies above I was going to try but take out the meat... the other things like the veggies and spices and beans and potatoes and leeks and tomatoes and all the rest..... it still is in there and that is where all the great taste and nutrition is from.

You can use tofu... too.. Or other substitutes... for the meat if you like...

Or leave it out.

I usually leave it out.

Chicken soup is my exception..

But I make veggie soup and by veggie broth paste from whole foods....

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
springshowers - I said that finding soups that are already made that are gluten free and veg are hard. I didn't say making them yourself was hard.... though if you're sick and it's hard to stand for long periods of time to chop up the veggies and all of that, then it is hard to make yourself.

I'm not denying they'd be delicious. I know they would be. I love being veg and have been for over six years.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeNetPerson
Member # 23588

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeNetPerson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks on the soup. I've started doing that and see it is a good idea by everyone here. I am often to sick now to eat like I used to.

Any good recipe sites? Anything good to put in or avoid for Lyme Disease?

--------------------
Bitten about 20 years ago and untreated until Aug 09

Posts: 43 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Opps sorry Disturbed..

I misunderstood what you said... ..

AliG
Member # 9734

Here's an idea for a heathful, make your own soup.....

Veggie Stock
Vegetable Juice
E.V. Olive Oil
onion powder
garlic powder
herbs to season to taste

Add beans of your choosing or tofu(for protein, dried beans or tofu usually make a good substitution for meat/poultry)

barley, rice or other gluten-free grain

washed & peeled baby carrots can be found in the fresh produce aisle.

Zucchini, spinach, peppers & onions can all be purchased pre-chopped & frozen where the frozen vegetables are located

Escarole, parsley & other greens are pretty easy to chop up sitting at a table with a cutting board if you want to add other greens, but most veggie juices contain some.

you can also add frozen cut green beans

I think many supermarkets actually carry frozen cut soup &/or stew veggies.

parmesan & romano cheese can be purchased already grated & added for flavor

Make a big pot & freeze in portions for re-heating.

www.allrecipes.com also has recipe groupings you can search & I know they have a "gluten-free" section.

Does that help at all?

--------------------

Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some of my favorite soup recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Magics-Green-and-White-Chicken-Soup/Detail.aspx
Magic's Green and White Chicken Soup
Packed full with very nutritious ingredients. I did not make my own egg noodles. I purchased the kind that LOOK homemade at the grocery store. Even still, it is a lot of work but I figure it is so healthy it is worth it.
======================================

This next recipe is my own. I came up with it after trying other online and then keeping what I liked, removing what I did not, and adding a little of this and a little of that. Pretty good, if I must say so myself. A friend at work (who is a much better cook than I am) says she, her husband and their neighbors love it.

And Stuffed Pepper Soup:

2 pounds ground beef, browned
2 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 14 oz cans of beef broth
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
2 cups cooked brown rice

Add the following 20 minutes before finished simmering:
*1 Tbs Italian seasoning
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp garlic salt
*1/2 Tbs parsley flakes

1.In a Dutch oven brown beef over medium high heat. Drain off any fat.
2.Add the peppers and onions to the browned meat and saute for 3 minutes.
3.Stir in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, broth, brown sugar, salt, pepper and worchestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.

Stir in rice and Add the following 20 minutes before finished simmering:
*1 Tbs Italian seasoning
*1 tsp garlic powder
*1/2 tsp garlic salt
*1/2 Tbs parsley flakes

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement