LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are we rapidly aging?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are we rapidly aging?????
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can ABX and any of these meds age us???? I know drinking, drugs, etc wil make you look older and as if you've had a hard life.
What about ABX? I swear I have been looking much older and run down in the last few years than ever before.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seriously doubt most abx can have that effect to significant degree. Drugs which interfere with DNA/RNA though I think will(and there is some data pointing that its indeed happening with long term use)- those are mostly anti-retrovirals though and fluorquinolones
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about pain killers.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sure as heck feels like it!
It looks like I aged 10 years in just three!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I look like all of the vitality has been sucked out of me....
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too! I look and feel 10 years older.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of you have lost weight??

For me this is the biggie. When I can gain 10 lbs back (I'm only about 5'5") I look younger. I'm just barely underweight again (due to in law stress I think), and just the other day I was telling my husband that I feel like I look 'old'.

I'm 31. My mom tells me it's because when you loose weight in your face, the wrinkles show up times 100!

I know my SIL who is anorexic and has been for over a decade. We were at a family reunion and SIL and I are 3 months apart in age. Her aunt asked her if she was 34 (we were 27 at the time).

I know SIL was offended, but I think it's due to being way too thin.

Anyhow...that's just my 2 cents!

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope we are not aging! In many ways we take better care of our health, eating right, avoiding sugar etc and exercising to the best of our ability so we protect ourselves that way. I think it is the free radical damage that excellerated aging. Take antioxidants. Alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L Carnitine are both supposed to help with aging and they are both highly recommended for lyme patients.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair is grey, falling out, and my face has no personality now. I've lost 20 lbs and probably 10 years of my life.

I still don't think I'm gonna live to see 30.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A resounding "yes" to your question richedie - Ocean is right, when you lose weight you tend to look older, hair has lost its lustre, no more radiant skin, 'bags' under eyes..perhaps for the lucky few who *can* function and are improving it may be different.

I keep telling myself its only an exterior, we're still the same before Lyme..and that when I'm better I'll return to that 'radiant' self. Don't give up!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely look MUCH older. I think I've aged about ten years in the last two.

I think a lot of this is simply because I'm sick. When you're sick, you never look your best. In part, I know that I simply don't spend the same amount of energy in looking good (doing hair, make up, etc.).

When I have a good day, it's like I've turned back the clock. So I'm hoping that after I kick Lyme's butt, I'll be my young, radient self again.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think being sick for a long time can stress our body and cause pre-mature aging.

Some meds, too - I know that whenever I'm on Mepron my hair tends to fall out, and grow back in silver. At least it's a nice silver.

My mother is almost 70, and has just gotten her first noticeable grey hairs... I sure as heck never imagined I'd be turning silver in my 30s. Bummer.

Also - all the little things we do to take care of ourselves can sort of slide when we're sick... and that can add up to looking older, too.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that I look older partially due to loosing weight.

And of course your not gonna look your best when you are fighting a chronic illness every day of your life.

I would actually be glad to accept the aged look, if I could just feel good again.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think being sick can make you look older.

Now, I look at least ten years YOUNGER than I am. I was on abx for 2 years. Also, pain and sleep meds. Now I do alternative stuff for detox and I exercise. I am done with Lyme treatment. (my picture is on my blog, I'm almost 47)

So, the meds and condition may make you look older NOW, but I'd say as you get better, you shouldn't be looking older. My face used to look drawn, but it's filled out again. My hair used to look ragged, and it's grown back in nicely.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
22dreams
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 22dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've aged a lot too.

On a cellular level, we are older because of the disease. Well, on a cellular level, we are diseased.

It's the whole "what is your real age" question that is all the rage.

When the symptoms started becoming noticeable to me, I went to the doctor, and she told me it was 'stress'(of course), and that my cycle was every

11-14 for a couple months because of rapid weight loss from eating a lower carb diet. Not that it was such a marked departure diet from before, mind you.

She told me my "real age" was 16 years younger than I was. that of a kid.

Great, right? not.

Why did she say that? coz I ate right, my vitamin/mineral panels hadn't plummeted yet and were "excellent", all other Labs were "within normal limits" and well, you know, I well, "looked good".

My lifestyle was exceptional too--yet she diagnosed stress-related insomnia.
Made no sense. The fatigue was b/c of the insomnia of course.

Later, it turned out I had Hashimotos (and lyme) and had been in a hyperthyroid period. Hence: skinny.

Insomnia from thyroid and/or lyme.

It was the beginning of the decline, or a good chunk into it, and she couldn't see it.

What is our REAL "real age" with this disease...
Whatever I wind up looking like, I just want to get better before I am too old to get on with living life instead of just surviving.

Posts: 571 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many told me that the suffering I had endured showed in my face....heck, I was even asked by one lady at a retail store, "Will we be using our senior citizen's discount today?"

I am 48!!!!!

Now though, as I am improving each week and can do nearly everything now that I did prior to the disease, folks are saying how great I look....I think I look like I did before Lyme, and that tells me just how icky (and OLD) I looked during it!

My skin didn't look good at all. Icky color, looked like tiny clear pock marks or something under my eyes.....oh, and my poor legs! The RMSF caused little spider vein looking things all over. I may be done with shorts forever!

I think it is the disease....at least in my case it seemed to be. Hate it!

Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey SIx, I looked at your pic on your blog. You look healthy as can be. It's hard to imagine you were even sick!! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
I think being sick can make you look older.

Now, I look at least ten years YOUNGER than I am. I was on abx for 2 years. Also, pain and sleep meds. Now I do alternative stuff for detox and I exercise. I am done with Lyme treatment. (my picture is on my blog, I'm almost 47)

So, the meds and condition may make you look older NOW, but I'd say as you get better, you shouldn't be looking older. My face used to look drawn, but it's filled out again. My hair used to look ragged, and it's grown back in nicely.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, seek. I definitely look healthier than I did!!! It's proof we all can bounce back from this .... I was as sick as they come (yeah, some are sicker, but some aren't as bad ..... I was probably sicker than average).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's often just the stress of being constantly ill. If you look at most presidents, they age like 15 years in 4 [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive aged 10 years at least since being on abx's it happened in 3 year period.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement