LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Positive for Bart - treatment options?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Positive for Bart - treatment options?
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc did some retesting recently, and it came back with a positive Bart Henelae IgG 1:256 suggesting an active infection.

My other Bart test (forget the species name) came back borderline at IgG 1:128.

Now my question is, what would be the recommended medications?

My doc suggests Levaquin, although he is wary due to tendon issues. Anything else useful? I can't tolerate Bactrim, so that one is out, and the other one (which starts with an R, Rifampycin?) interferes with lots of meds, so I probably can't go on that either.

Currently on Omnicef, and did Doxy over the Summer. Minimal improvement so far, at best. My doc is thinking that perhaps the majority of my symptoms are from Bart, not Lyme.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My now famous lyme doc put me on Levaquin for bart. He told me side effects are rare. I had no problem.

I was on Levaquin for 2 months. Then, took Bactrim DS for babs. I understand it also hits bart.

I did the Burrascano weight-lifting exercise program while on levaquin.

Just know what to look out for and call the doc at any sign of tendon side effects.

Also, you can load up on magnesium before you start the levaquin, per Burrascano.

Read what Burrascano says about what to do if tendon problems begin.

People are given levaquin all the time--for sore throats, etc. Plenty of my neighbors have taken it. Lymies just take it a little longer than the average patient.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one problem I have is that I have weird pains already. So determining if a strange tendon pain is from levaquin or just one of my normal aches, may be difficult to figure out.

How much mag is recommended, and should it be taken while on levaquin too? I don't mean the same time of day, but should it be taken at the same dose throughout treatment?

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been typing a lot about Bart both today and last night, so I won't repeat it all and bore everyone. Just click on my name to see my recent posts. There's another one near the top in Medical that also has "bart" in the title that I commented on.

Bactrim DS with Zith helped me the most, but I also saw benefit from Zithromax with Plaquenil.

Sometimes people can tolerate Bactrim DS the second time they try it, if they didn't the first, so you can decide for yourself if it's worth a second try, based on what kind of a reaction you had the first time (how bad it was, etc).

Some people use Factive or Cipro instead of Leavquin. But it seems like Levaquin has the most success associated with it.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Thanks for the responses. I'll look up old posts too.

Bactrim is pretty much off-limits for me. My reaction was the 'I am going to die' sort of reaction. Fever, headaches, very odd complete body rash (most likely allergic) and I fainted once. Some of that may have been a herx... but a lot of it felt like side effects or an allergic reaction.

Zith + Plaquenil may be an interesting option. I'll ask my doc about that next time I see him. I expect he'll still prefer one of the quinolones though.

One tricky thing both myself and doc is trying to determine is if my lack of progress is because I need more time on Lyme meds, or if Lyme may not be the main cause of symptoms. He said he'd expect more progress symptom-wise if it was primarily from Lyme.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Levaquin but always have an issue about 4 weeks in. My left achilles will start to get tender. So I've been reluctant to take it again.

It's a good drug though. You just have to mind your body...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin wiped out most of my bart symptoms in a few weeks but at week 5 I got tendonitis which lasted 8 months and was worse than the bart. After levaquin I couldn't use anything chemical and tried herbs which were useless. Now I am using Rifampin and zithro, going into the fourth week at full dosage but not seeing results unless this is herxing. I would very carefully try levaquin after you have built up on magnesium - like 1000mg a day for several weeks. Good luck.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Ugh... sort of sounds like I may be doomed either way. Breaking tendons doesn't sound like much fun. But I have a lot of unresolved symptoms, and don't really seem to have an alternative but to treat somehow.

I will be upset though if my symptoms don't improve AND I get tendon problems -- then I'll just be worse off.

Is there any difference amongst the quinolines as to side effects? Any least likely to cripple a person?

Cipro or Factive maybe? Although perhaps they may be less effective for Bart too.

bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Bartonella titer immediately went away with Zithromax and then Biaxin has got me to 95%.
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement