LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What causes NAUSEA in Lyme dx? - feeling 'poisoned' help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What causes NAUSEA in Lyme dx? - feeling 'poisoned' help!
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the past my nausea has 'come and gone'..this time it is here to stay and includes lower abd pain as well. Just have had zero appetite for food. All work-up has been normal, any abd ultrasounds also normal.

Does anyone know whether Lyme or one of its coinfections is the main culprit? Since I'm so sensitive to meds I've only been targetting Lyme.

Edited to add that when I do eat it feels like the food stays in my stomach and 'rots'. (sorry) IBS maybe?

This long stretch of nausea also seems to coincide with bone-crushing fatigue and some teariness. Weird.

My PCP is stumped. [confused]

[ 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: btmb03 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like babesia could be a possible cause. It can cause nausea and loss of appetite. In my experience with my kids...when they were too tired to swim or go on walks, it was b/c of babesia. Once we treated it, that fatigue went away, and their appetites got better. Also, I notice they are more emotional when their babs symptoms are at their worst.

I would give babs treatment a try and see what happens.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Hey tickbattler I sound like one of your kids! [Smile]
Thx for your input, what meds for babs were they on if you don't mind me asking? PM if you prefer!

btmb03
Unregistered

Adding that I also have that 'poisoned' feeling in my stomach..uggh
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have been on Mepron, zith (or clarithromycin) and artemisinin. Two have developed allergies to artemisinin after taking it for several months and are now taking Enula instead along with the other drugs.

Another option is to try Malarone. There are other babs treatments too, but Mepron/zith is probably the most commonly used one.

Good luck!

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the EXACT same symptoms as you do! In fact they have been the worst symptoms for me by far. My LLMD believes this is Babesia so he is going to go back to treating it again.

When you say that it feels like food sits in your stomach for hours "rotting" I have that too as well as the poisoned sick stomach feeling. The nausea is terrible and appetite gone too.

Have you treated Babs at all yet?

Feel better!!

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

jenny - so sorry you're experiencing the same thing. My LLMD would like me to do a 'trial' of Mepron but am self-pay so it's beyond me right now. Had a bad 'reaction' to Malarone.

Good luck with your babs tx.

Tickbattler- thx for your input

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really think Babesia is a huge issue for you everytime you post Btmb03. I think you have little choice but to do something about it. Maybe a lower cost herbal treatment is a start.

Will your LLMD let you trial Clindamycin/Quinine?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Yes seek, the babs 'seems' (never tested pos) to be an issue with me. Am actually waiting for this abd pain/nausea to subside to start the Artemisia..or I won't know what is what.

My LLMD won't consider the clinc/quinine route since he says it's a very 'tough' protocol.

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's right, it is, but so are $1,500 a month meds on your pocketbook. [Frown] There's just nothing good about Babesia, huh?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no trouble with the clinda/Q protocol..... just sayin'!

Gluten makes me feel the same way as you describe.

However, it could also be that syndrome where the stomach does not empty fast enough...? can't think of it right now. Has to do with the peristalsis.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LizaLu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizaLu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nausea and stomach upset has been the worst for me everyday for the past 2 years. I'm only on lyme treatment now with my LLMD, but...

I pulse Artesmisinin and am going to buy enula and crypto-something or another for it.

It's the pits though!

Posts: 123 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx everyone for your input. LizaLu, sorry you're suffering from this as well. Perhaps it will take time for the Art and crypto (whatever) to work?

Nothing is easy with this illness and it seems like from everyone's posts persistence pays. Good luck!

Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often say I feel "poisoned" or like I have "toxic" blood. I have Babesia. I feel like Biaxin has helped me with the toxic feeling. I also took Clindamyacin for about a month, prior to a tooth removal. I felt the best I have felt in quite a while. God bless you.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Same EXACT two drugs that help me Snailhead. How coincidental!
btmb03
Unregistered

Hmmm clindamycin and biaxin? Never thought of that combo..glad it helped you Snailhead and Seek - why didn't y'all stay on it then??
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gastroparesis.

Very common with lyme disease and it is my main problem and I just can't seem to beat it.

It waxes and wanes in severity but I suffer from a lot of nausea, loss of appetite, stomach tension, stomach feels full, gas, some constipation, ect...

It sucks and I don't know what to recommend to you except to keep trying stuff. I have found that a 1mg ativan can help with the nausea and pain. It takes about an hr to kick in but it does help. I think that lyme and co-infections can mess with the neurosystem and that is what causes to the stomach to get slow. It could also be the stomach muscles are really tight from the stress the infections cause, which would make you nauseated.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Very possible *and* probable Buster..sorry you're dealing with this too.
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right here with you.

I can't eat and have dropped 20lbs as of today.

Just trying to eat gives me the dry heaves.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but know that your not alone.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Aw so sorry to hear that kit, this illness really stinks. You've obvioiusly gone the Zofran route? Doesn't work for me but some pts swear by it. Take care.
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terribel nausea was my first symptom. I lost 40 lbs. I had painful bowel spasms, and inflamed stomach.

After about 3 months of Ceftin, it went away entirely and now I am battling whole new set of symptoms.

LLMD has seen a lot of GI issues related to lyme. One thing it can do is cause your stomach muscles to not empty out food as fast as it should. This may explain the feeling that food is rotting in your stomach. You can ask for a drug called reglan, which will speed up the process of stomach emptying. This might help you.

Lyme can also affect your vagus nerve, which is a major primary nerve responsible for much of GI activity. IT is also responsible for heart and several other organ systems.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also found digestive enzymes helped break down the food quicker
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Reglan can also cause pyschotic breakdown!
btmb03
Unregistered

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/exercise-article/raising-awareness-of-lyme-disease/363450

A 'must-read' a LN member posted on a previous thread of mine. I have trouble reading so doing it bit by bit. Really great article, esp re: Lyme and the GI tract.

Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
Reglan can also cause pyschotic breakdown!

Reglan has got to be the worst drug on the market.
Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most antibiotics can cause GI issues. Could that be contributing to the problem?
Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

No, I had this symptoms before starting abx for..hmm..almost 10 years now before I knew I had Lyme.

I do think the abx have 'exacerbated' this problem. Switching back to psyllium husk (vs. Trader Joe's), eating more leafy greens (cooked)..and starting Artemisia soon. Let's see..I'll definitely post again. thx!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement