LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Severe prolonged diarrhea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Severe prolonged diarrhea
susanschn
Member # 19352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susanschn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother had a seven month bout with severe diarrhea right before being diagnosed with Lyme. It finally got under control with prescribed lotronex by a gastrointestinal doctor.

Then the Lyme diagnosis and she began the antibiotics. The diarrhea has returned with a vengeance and has been uncontrollable for the past two weeks. She goes 16 times a day and has accidents because she cannot walk (probably Lyme related) and cannot get to the bathroom.

She is losing so much weight and is in extreme pain. All antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications have been stopped in order to get the diarrhea under control, but it is not getting any better. She is on a very restricted, bland diet.

It seems that she may need to be in the hospital, but I don't know what they might do to her there that could make the Lyme worse. Prior to Lyme diagnosis other doctors gave her so many steroid injections that it has caused her to develop glaucoma.

What does anyone know about how to get this diarrhea under control the best? Once she gets it under control, then she can return to trying to treat the Lyme, but until then she is really suffering.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. She is a frail 78 year old woman who was active and in pretty good health before the Lyme started. She is frustrated and depressed, homebound and unable to do much to help herself. She cannot even walk.

Posts: 34 | From Florida | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Susan,
I'm very sorry to hear your dear mom is having such a tough time of it with her bouts of diarrhea.

Where in Florida do you or your mom reside?
Which LLMD are you using?

Any LLMD worth his weight in cheetes would have provided her with the information needed whenever he/she prescribed her antibiotics to treat her lyme disease.

If your mom had this diarrhea problem prior to the lyme diagnosis. What was the diagnosis causeing the diarrhea?

There is always a danger in older folks due to their understandably longer exposure with contaminants in our lovely planets air, water, plants, meat or fish.

Clostridium Difficile(spl)is primarily the culprit in the aged.

If it were'nt so serious, I would'nt mind having some of it right now as my pain meds constipate the heck out of me.

Also

There are more overweight lymies out here then annorexic. Having said that however, I ran into at least two in the greater Tampa area while I resided there for approx., eight years.

Unfortunately, as far as research has been done(very little)due to that other disease called "lackamoney". No one has come up with the reason for either symptom of our buddy lyme and company.

I would suggest you yak it over with your llmd or mainstream duck and have a stool sample sent in to a laboratory to check for parasites and or any other little creepy crawler that she's blasting out of her poor overworked hein'y!

In the mean time....always remember that whenever we lymies take antibiotics to kill off the bad bugs, the drugs can't tell the difference from good bugs(flora)in the gut and digestive system. Begining as far up as the mouth.

So, always have live culture yogurt(no sugar)I would suggest wheat germ instead of real fruit due to the sugar content in the fruit kicking off a nasty yeasty condition.
Possibly some form of anti-fungal or supplement equivalent as I have heard some folks utilizing different tree oils or extracts.

A lot of the bad bugs/fungus are opportunistic little critters and grow much faster then most of the good flora in our systems. Ya gotta stay on top of that situation.
I suggest Burrascano's procedure's in these areas in the future. Once you find out just what might be causeing the diarrhea's return.

Antibiotics, won't kill Virus or fungal bugs.

Like I suggested....find out what's up/at present or prior to the lyme diagnosis from your duck/ then do some checking in the newbies sections or just ask around here, before taking anything in the future.

Hope your Dear Mom is well soon.
zman

So, what did the doctors deduce was causeing her problems with diarrhea?

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had a recent bouth with biaxin which started with horrible stomach and lower abdominal pain. the diahhrea was horrible. turned out they thought it "might" be c. difficile and gave me xifaxan for three times for three days.

it seems to haved helped but now i can't take anymore. rats.

please mention this and get it looked out. it can be very serious stuff.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susanschn - Severe diarrhea, such as you've described with your mother, was one of my worst sx's, before, during and even after tx. Needless to say, it completely ruined by social life.

There's a myriad of contributors that could be responsible for your Mom''s condition:

1. Food sensitivities - Esp. wheat and gluten containing foods. She might have to eliminate ALL these things from her diet.

2. Yeast - This was already mentioned and can't be stressed enough. The starches and sugar will have to be eliminated. What sugar can be had will likely be in the form of apples (Granny Smith, my fav) and berries. No juices! They'll drive the bowels nuts.

3. Macrolide abx - Esp. azithromycin for me. They will make the bowels virtually uncontrollable. If your mother is taking a macrolide, please call your doc and get her switched!

As you know, the type of bowel sx's you talk about are very, very dangerous, causing dehydration and loss of vital minerals, etc. You might want to ask the doc if you can stop your Mom's abx a short while to get any yeast and food sensitivities cleared up and under control, then re-start slowly, at low doses and build up.

Keep in touch with us and my best to you and your Mom.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tish
Member # 18029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say check for c. difficile. It's a horrible thing that gives the most terrible irritating diarrhea.
It is also very dangerous if it gets out of control. It's a common problem for those on antibiotics.

Posts: 31 | From TX | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely check into c.diff and/or yeast. I am so sorry your mother is suffering so much. It makes my heart break.

Keep searching for the answer!

If she ends up in the hospital, be sure to tell them NO STEROIDS! Just say she can't tolerate them.

PS.. What is she currently eating?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mother should be tested for C difficile.
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto...get her checked for c.diff. I would have her strop all antibiotics until the diarrhea subsides. Make SURE she is taking FLorastor! That is essential to ANYONE on antibiotics for Lyme.

Read this

www.wildcondor.com/toughbug.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into SeaCure.

Look into aloe mucilaginous polysaccharide (A.M.P.).
http://www.ampfloracel.com/

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement