LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » First LLMD apt the other day..what to do

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First LLMD apt the other day..what to do
meloctober
Member # 22406

Icon 9 posted      Profile for meloctober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to LLMD on Monday. She checked me from head

to toe, did an EKG (which came out normal). I gave her my Igenex and Quest Labs. I told her my

symptoms were

Light Sensitivity

Acheness (Knees and upper back)

Trouble Sleeping ***

Fatigue ***

Anxiety ***

Obsessive Worries/Thoughts**

Digestive Problems

She said that while I was positive both on IGM and IGG for band 41 and IND 39 and IND 85-93 she

did not seem convinced I still had lyme. She would rather do a stool and see if I still have a

parasite from when I had Viral Gastroenteritis last year. She actually said I am healthy compared to most...That very well may be but I

dont feel healthy or at my personal best, I feel a change and horrible at that!! SO long story

short she will not treat me..what do I do......

Posts: 29 | From CT | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your igenex is not really positive. I would personally run all viral labs and see if it might be the problem. Also try other bacterial infections and maybe mycoplasma ( I have no idea about those though)

I believe timaca here has lots of experience with it .

Its not always lyme imho

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would run Fry Labs testing for both the
Smear test for the bacterial infection and the Protozoan. Two separate tests.

Lots of people might have marginal Lyme but still have Vector Borne Illnesses...

In the end its better to know what you test positive for so you can direct treatment.

Then too.. alot of those treatments can cross over and treat lyme if it is indeed there..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IND is a weak positive. Bands 39 and 83-93 are VERY important bands.

Bands 83-93 are the DNA of the Bb.

Find a new LLMD and get more testing. Have you been tested thru Igenex lab yet?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mel - question - you said you have lab tests from Quest and IGeneX, so I'm assuming you did the IgM and IgG Western blots thru IGeneX?

Tests don't always show up positive even tho we have Lyme. I don't think this doctor is an LLMD, since LLMDs treat clinically, by history and symptoms. You have symptoms.

I suggest you make a post in Seeking a Doctor here for a list of LLMDS to be sent to you.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were your quest results?

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gather you have a previous diagnosis of lyme? What type of lyme treatment have you had in the past? Have you had co-infection testing? Is the LLMD that you saw a member of ILADS?

As Robin said, negative testing is not unusual even though you may still have lyme disease. Did anyone do an abx challenge prior to your testing through IgeneX?

If I had previously had lyme and had a full work up to exclude other likely causes for my symptoms, I'd find someone who would do an empirical trial with abx and co-infection protocols to see if I had a response.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meloctober
Member # 22406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meloctober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your responses. To answer your questions:

1. I tested positive for Lyme 6 years ago. I went to the ER for "flu-like" symptoms prior to

this I remember having this huge welt on my shoulder which may have been the bite. The ER

sent bloodwork and sent me home. A week later the ER called to follow up with me and ask if I

was placed on abts bc I tested positive for Lyme. I received no call from my MD, ****ed as I

was I got my records and went to another PCP who gave me three weeks of DOxy and said "ehh you

were right on the line of positive dont worry" I did not worry since then.. Looking back I

remember occassional aches, pains, mainly just feeling tired and having reoccuring stomache

problems but I chalked it up to nothing. It wasnt until last year during memorial day

weekend I came down with viral gasteroenteritis and landed in the ER twice that weekend...it was

awful i couldnt keep anything down lost about 15lbs..a month later the panic attacks started and tinnitus..that is a big one! soo annoying..I

feel as if a switch went off..and I was just a wreck! I spent the past year going from

psychiatrist to psychiatrist and my PCP and all chalked it up to being anxious..I have never

been an anxious person! This summer I went to a Psych Aprn who tested me for Lyme via Quest.

The 41 Band was the only one that came back positive. She then sent me to Igenex where the

IGM and IGM band 41 came back positive and 39

IND and 85-93 IND... and here I am...

Posts: 29 | From CT | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meloctober
Member # 22406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meloctober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry IGG and IGM band
meloctober
Member # 22406

The doctor I saw was given to me from a list from here..Im sorry but I am not going to settle for "its all in my head" I have never been a depressed/anxious/worried person..this is not normal for me and for it to come on suddenly..I just dont know....
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meloctober:
The doctor I saw was given to me from a list from here..Im sorry but I am not going to settle for "its all in my head" I have never been a depressed/anxious/worried person..this is not normal for me and for it to come on suddenly..I just dont know....

I dont believe its all in your head either. But there are many many reasons beside lyme. Lyme and Co is bacterial illness , which is attacked with antibiotics. It wont do you good if you have viral problems

It is likely it is more than one thing - but you need more tests .There are some inflammation indicators which you can see trough blood tests (vegf, c3a/c4a, cd57 etc). Run heavy metal tests ,run viral titers. Hopefully you might see a pattern there which could point you to the most likely root of your problems

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
22dreams
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 22dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lyme and my IGenex results weren't too different from yours although I don't have them memorized. I had some IND bands that are considered lyme-specific. Tests, even Igenex tests, sensitivity at best is in the 70%s.
To be considered as a diagnostic tool, it needs to be 95% or better. We are just not "there" yet testing-wise.

You have a history of exposure---
more than that, a history of testing positive and remembering the welt/bite.

more than that: a history of lyme.

plus current clinical symptoms.

I don't know who you are seeing, but I'd find another lyme doctor for assessment if I were you.

and like coltman says, be assessed for other infections, viral and bacterial. More than one thing could be part of the picture and a more integrative lyme doctor would work to your benefit.

Posts: 571 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not every dr on our list is a "good" one. They vary in capabilities.

Sounds like you need to try another.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
22dreams
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 22dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by meloctober:

Definitely do not settle for that answer Meloctober.
I wouldn't either. So many have been right where you are and understand.

Posts: 571 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for filling us in on your history. So sorry for what you've been through. Unfortuantely, so many here have similar stories.

A good LLMD (get an ILADS member), will do a differential diagnosis. This means they will look for all kinds of things besides Lyme. I had viral testing, mold testing, co-infection testing, nutritional status testing, thyroid testing etc. etc. etc..... You need a good diagnostician.

You can go to the seeking doctor section of lymenet and put your location in the subject line and ask for help in getting a list of doctors that are close to you.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/forum/2?

ILADS is a group of physicians who specialize in treating chronic lyme disease. http://www.ilads.org/

You can go here and register and get a list of ILADS doctors that are closest to you.
http://tinyurl.com/6na364

You can also check for your local lyme group here.
http://www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/

A great book that helps to understand the situation with Chronic Lyme disease is "Cure Unknown". Written by a Science Journalist who is senior editor for Discover Magazine. She and her whole family faced Lyme disease. The book covers a lot, history, science and her personal story and a few other personal stories.

Wishing you the best.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement