LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Oh my goodness..such head pain..help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh my goodness..such head pain..help please
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay..so I had a really bad headache for 4 weeks.

My neuro ended up giving me steroids for a week to relieve it. I already was scolded at my LLMD appt. this week for that.

Well, it's back and it's really bad.

I have a call into LLMD. They are supposed to call me back tonight.

I have tried valium, naproxen, moist heat and ice. Nothing is taking it away.

I feel like my head just might explode.

I read on another thread that some have tried Mucinex. My hubby is gonna go get some but I am not going to take it until I hear back from LLMD office.

Has anyone ever had such had pain for weeks at a time?

It's not a migraine. No nausea, light sesnitivity or aura. Just plain pain from the back of my head and up over the top to my eyebrows.

I am really at my wits end

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry to hear of your chronic head pain.

I have chiari malformation (along with lyme) and the headache pain often times starts at the base of the skull and radiates to the front of my head. They can last for days and sometimes weeks.

I pretty much do what you have tried.. I alternate ice and heat in the back of my head and neck. I have my husband give me a head and neck massage and sometimes that helps. I try pain meds but nothing really helps...only time..

I had taken valium in the past and that actually made my headaches worse but did help as a muscle relaxer.

I wish I could give you some better advice but the best I can do is let you know that you are not alone and I hope the pain resolves for you soon. TG

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Trigal,

I am sorry that you suffer with this head pain too.

Are you going to have surgery for your chiari?

It's hard enough to deal with this lyme but to have that on top of it...I am sorry.

Healing prayers for you...kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kitkat.. Have you tried anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen or Aleve?

I've only dealt with migraines and that requires different treatment from what you are dealing with.

I feel for you! I was thinking it must be brain inflammation.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Hi lymetoo,

I did Aleve. Hasn't touched it. LLMD office was closed but I paged them. Someone called me back at 3 and said I would be called back by the provider.

I still haven't gotten a call.

What do they do..if anything for brain inflammation?

How do they know if that's what it is?

kit

NellieK
Member # 23554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NellieK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that has helped me with my headaches is Soma (muscle relaxer). I just had hemorrhoid surgery, and even the pain meds (Vicodin) don't take away the pain (now both down south and up north on my body) like Soma does.
Posts: 39 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you constipated by any chance? Sometimes a toxic buildup in the colon can give you a headache.

I have also read that an old remedy mothers used to use for their childrens migraines was a warm water enema,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NellieK:
The only thing that has helped me with my headaches is Soma (muscle relaxer). I just had hemorrhoid surgery, and even the pain meds (Vicodin) don't take away the pain (now both down south and up north on my body) like Soma does.

Been thinking of having my doctor rx Soma to me. How do you do on it? Does it help to relax your stomach muscles too? My GI suggested I take Flexeril to help relax my stomach muscles but I've been told Soma would be better.

Have you had any side effects with Soma? I was told that it has some potential bad side effects. Wonder if you've experienced that?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though it is not a migraine, imitrex might help relieve it. I use it for my headaches from lyme/bart and it usually helps. It is important to get it early. I hope it is not one of those that does not go away. They are so awful.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Just got off phone with LLMD. He is calling in Imitrex.

He also called in Fiorcet. He said the Fiorcet is only to be taken 1-2 a week because of risk of rebound headache.

He said to try the Imitrex first. The only problem is it interacts with my Cymbalta and can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome. I just can't seem to win here.

My dose of cymbalta is only 40mg a day so he said that the chances are low compared to if I was on a higher dose.

My hubby just ran out to the pharmacy to pick it all up.

Thanks to you all for your support and suggestions.

I don't know what I would do without this forum and the people on it.

kit

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kitkat,
Systemic enzyme therapy helped my head pain.

http://www.inflammationandhealth.com/

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thanks Carol,

I will look into that in the morning. Thanks for the link.

I am going to take my Fiorcet and lie down now.

This is just unbelievable. At least I was able to reach the doc office. Usually I don't hear back for quite some time.

Goodnight..kit

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope it works!!!!

What Carol posted would be good too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaMM
Member # 23303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaMM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Sorry to hear about the headache. I can totally relate. I've had a headache since the Monday prior to Halloween. It was my headache that sent me to my neurologist, who decided to run a lyme test and found that I have lyme in the first place. This was not a normal migraine...my regular migraine medications wouldn't touch it. It was a severe burning sensation that was mostly on the top of my head, but sometimes in the back or extended to the front. Laying down with an ice pack helped me. I hope that the fiorocet helps you...but I've taken fiorocet in the past and found that only the fiorocet with codeine helps when the pain is severe. And your doctor is right, you can definitely get a rebound headache from fiorocet, so be careful. I've taken Relpax a few times to try to get rid of this awful lyme headache, and it worked 2 times, but overall it is hit or miss. I'm on month 2 of antibiotics for lyme, and guess what? Still have a headache. But it isn't as severe as it used to be, and sometimes it doesn't start until late in the day so my mornings are good. Good luck!! You aren't alone!
Posts: 14 | From Northern VA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to second the caution on the Fioricet. Don't take it 2 days in a row. The rebound headache is awful and nothing will get rid of it but time.

If it doesn't help you the first time you take it, forget it. It helps stress-related headaches is what I have heard.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treelady
Member # 23506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Treelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a headache for an entire year, day and night, night and day. I tried all kinds of pain meds, migraine meds...everything. Then I found Puerarin from HepaPro.com It took about a week and then my headache was completely gone. I took consistently for several months and then backed off a bit. Now I just take as I feel a headache is ramping up. It really is a wonderful herb.

--------------------
Treelady

Posts: 39 | From California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NellieK
Member # 23554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NellieK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Been thinking of having my doctor rx Soma to me. How do you do on it? Does it help to relax your stomach muscles too? My GI suggested I take Flexeril to help relax my stomach muscles but I've been told Soma would be better.

Have you had any side effects with Soma? I was told that it has some potential bad side effects. Wonder if you've experienced that

Sorry for the late post, gwb, VERY busy Christmas, and not feeling too good lately. Soma is the one thing that really relaxes EVERYTHING for me, including my stomach. When the antibiotics start to give me a tight, nauseous feeling in my stomach, I eat some yogurt (which helps some) and take a Soma and get in the bath. My stomach settles down right away. I haven't had any side effects with just Soma, but when I combine it with Vicodin and a sleeping pill (Clonzapam), I can end up sleeping 'till noon, which I really need sometimes! I'm just taking the Vicodin until I recover from hemhorroid surgery -- I wouldn't recommend the combination of pills I'm taking to anyone else unless you're also having surgery. Soma and Clonzapam work perfectly for me -- the Soma relaxes me (along with the bath), and the Clonzapam puts me to sleep.
Posts: 39 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement