LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hypoglycemic "like" attacks? Lyme or Adrenal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypoglycemic "like" attacks? Lyme or Adrenal?
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Hypoglycemic like attacks are killing me! I get SO weak, dizzy, and feel like I'm going to pass out. Feels like low blood sugar... but don't think it is. Can't find triggers, or anything that helps. I'm just dealing with it which isn't much fun. It totally knocks me out sometimes for days.

I've read that this can be a sign of adrenal problems. I've told my LLMD who didn't say much about it and told me to eat more often. I did and it doesn't make any difference. My cortisol levels have been tested and they are normal so my GP says my adrenals are fine.

Could this symptom be from lyme or coinfections or is most likey weak adrenals?

How can I "repair" my adrenal function and how long does it take to heal.

Are there any supplements that help?

I hate this feeling. Feels like I'm always on the verge of passing out or something.

Thanks.

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are other tests available for adrenal function that may be different from what your GP uses?

I believe that cortisol levels change throughout the day. Is there any pattern involved?

How often do you eat, and what are you eating? Protein and fats will hold your blood sugar levels longer.

I don't know what it means that this can knock you out for days...that's definately something to figure out.

I have a low blood sugar problem in which I get a feeling suddenly that I must eat...right now... and just can't function, get irritable, can't think straight. Recently I went to a naturopathic dr. He suggested that I take chromium picolinate 200 mg., 3x per day, and eat more protein and fats.

It has helped greatly. I'm no longer experiencing the low blood sugar feeling, nor the extreme and sudden hunger. I'm also taking a product called Medibulk in the morning, which helps me stay full and satisfied until lunch. Previously I would experience the hypoglycemia and eat another meal by 10 a.m.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but it's really easy and inexpensive to try the chromium picolinate.

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Lyme or Adrenal?

Both, I'd say. No body gets lyme without it attacking the adrenals - and the entire endrocrine system.

You can go to Amazon and look up books in the area of "Adaptogens" to find great detail on adrenal support in general.

You'll read about the adrenal triangle, of sorts (HPA Axis) and what can support that.

For lyme patients, specifically, see Singleton and Burrasano's works. First, of course TREAT INFECTION(s); Second: Support at the same time.

=================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

-------------

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

Four pages

===================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=======================

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

[email protected]

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Aid_Buhner/?yguid=166917351

======================

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Adrenal_Dysfunction

Search results for Adrenal Dysfunction - many good articles - in general, not specifically for lyme patients however, what is suggested is also suggested by many good LLMDs for lyme patients.

Corydceps, Ashwagandha, Eleutherococcus senticosus, Rhodiola, B-5, Fish oil, Curcurmin . . . . all good choices. Combination formulas are often best.

NEVER take anything to BOOST anything. Firm and consistent support is best.

Magnesium is still a number one help to adrenals and to the liver. It is very calming to the nervous system and can help lower the excitatory NMDA system while supporting the calming GABA system. It also helps the liver to be able to eliminate toxins, and toxins are a major source of adrenal stress.

Liver support and rest are key to adrenal support.

---------

I would start with Curcumin:

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You said you feel as if ready to pass out all the time. Adrenals certainly can be part of that but so can the cardiac part that comes with lyme.

Have you tried adding a little SEA SALT to your drinking water. One adrenal book I just returned to the library suggested, especially, first thing in the morning and again around 2 pm, adding 1/4 tsp sea salt to your water.

I'll look up what book that was and come back with the link so you can get it yourself.

Also, NMH or POTS may be connected. I'm all out of steam and cannot spell out the words or even think of how to do that. It's all here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

-------

Hope you feel better soon. The fatigue is one of the more violent aspects of lyme, in my experience. It's actually a silent violence. But, with care to detail, this can get better - or at least manageable until the infection(s) finally clear.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
BTW, I listed Rhodiola as one adrenal herb above. While it is excellent, I would certainly not start with that as it can be over stimulating for some people. Ashwagandha is the most gentle but yet powerful support.

This book is excellent as a general work. I've studied all this for years and finally just read his book. He explains things so that I finally understood things like how weak adrenals can trigger Hypoglycemic attacks, etc:

http://tinyurl.com/y8f7bn9 (link through Amazon - also check at your local independent bookstore or library)

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

by James L. Wilson and Johnathan V. Wright

(Paperback - Jan 25, 2002)

=====================

CORTEF?

While self-care, herbs and other supplements can help the adrenals, some lyme patients need a little more help. Some LLMDs prescribe low-dose hydrocorisol. LOW dose, though . . . Singleton's book describes that.

You can also do a search on past threads about others' experiences with that. Search for the subject line in the medical forum for both terms: "Cortef" and also for "Hydrocortisone"

If you've not yet used some of the adaptogen herbs and B-5, FIsh Oil (Marine suggests OmegaBrite) and Curcumin, I'd give those a chance first.

You can also do a search for past threads on "OmegaBrite" as Marnie posted great detail on why that is best for the essential fatty acids for lyme patients' use. Here's the website for that:

www.omegabrite.com/

OMEGA BRITE
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sorry for so many posts but I like to keep the categories separate. You may need more complex carbs - or more good fats - or more protein.

I just found Black Forbidden Chinese Rice. It is so very dark and rich that the antioxidant nature of it is very healing to me. With just 1/3 cup, with veggies, salmon, etc. it really helps hold me over and keep blood glucose stable.

Of course, other non-gluten grains are helpful to, in moderation: Quinoa is the best as the amino-acid ratio is superb. Then Wild Rice, Buckwheat (really a legume), millet, many varieties of brown, red and black rices.

BEANS are also great for nutrition and balancing the glucose levels. Lentil soup can be enjoyed for any meal and even eaten cold from fridge in an emergency. Many ways to season it keep it a lively option.

Also note that some drugs and herbs can lower blood sugar, so check your list for that and enjoying 5 small meals a day can help keep you stable.

--------------------

Protein helps our bodies make glutathione and that helps the liver detox . . . protein's amino acids help our brain, our hearts, our muscles, etc., etc., etc.,

Taurine (found mostly in muscle meats) is vital, too. Vegetarians and vegans should consider supplementing taurine, as well as B-12 and L-Carnitine.

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf - 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).
-

Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe buy a blood glucose meter at the drug store (nearly free w/rebates) and test your blood sugar.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Good idea.

Often, when I thought my blood sugar was too low, it really was not, though.

You can call Bayer and request a free meter and get a few free test strips. The strips are what is so expensive but you can get your doctor to prescribe them. My medicare insurance won't pay for them, though, as I'm not dx diabetic. So I just don't test very often.

I got a free meter because I tend to be hypoglycemic and that led to fainting and seizures. That's all I had to say.

You can find the site for Bayer, one company who makes testing supplies or to a Google search with this phrase: "free glucose meter" and find many links to get you started.
-

btmb03
Unregistered

Haven't read all the responses..sorry you also experience this. What meds are you on??

Biaxin for example can often cause similar sx to what you describe too. Might be meds-related.

massman
Unregistered

[woohoo]
POLITICALLY INCORRECT !
POLITICALLY INCORRECT !
[woohoo]

I posted about actually EATING fat which I realize is NUTS.

EVERYONE KNOWS that is evil because even if you LOOK at fat you are doomed. [cussing]

Sorry, sorry, so sorry. [bow]

[ 12-27-2009, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: massman ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Since lyme also often attacks the inner and middle ear you might consider this article from tomorrow's BBC site:

INNER EAR ALTERS BRAIN BLOOD FLOW

Excerpt:

. . . For example, some people who suffer from faints and dizzy spells when they stand up quickly, known as postural hypotension, could have poor brain blood flow linked to underlying inner ear problems, he said. . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8268336.stm

Sidebar: `` Standing up places the head above the heart and thus makes it harder to provide blood flow to the brain '' Dr Jorge Serrador

Caption to a photo of an ear: ``The balance organs live deep inside the ear''

Page last updated at 00:00 GMT, Sunday, 27 December 2009

INNER EAR ALTERS BRAIN BLOOD FLOW

Minute organs hidden deep within the ear appear to directly alter blood flow to the brain, scientists have revealed.

Until now, experts thought the inner ear's job was to control balance alone.

But Harvard medics working with Nasa found that as well as helping us keep our head, the balance organs affect brain blood flow.

They told BMC Neuroscience journal that the connection probably evolved to enable man to stand upright and still get enough blood up to the brain.

The organs of balance are deep within the ear, inside a maze of bony chambers.

OFF KILTER

Two sacs, called the utricle and saccule, make up the inner ear's vestibule and three fluid-filled loops, known as the semi-circular canals, detect the rotation and tilting movements of the head.
Dr Jorge Serrador and his team from Harvard Medical School asked 24 healthy people to undergo a range of tests normally used on astronauts.

These included a tilt test where the individual sits strapped to a chair that is then tilted to different angles, plus a ride inside a giant, spinning centrifuge.

In this way, the researchers were able to stimulate the different parts of the balance organs and monitor the effects on blood flow around the body.

This revealed that the utricle and saccule, also known as the otoliths, directly affected brain blood flow regulation, independent of other factors, such as blood pressure.

Dr Serrador explained why the connection may exist: "Standing up places the head above the heart and thus makes it harder to provide blood flow to the brain.

"Having a connection between the otoliths, which tell us that we are standing, and the cerebrovasculature may be part of the adaption that allows us to maintain our brain blood flow when upright.

"The knowledge gained from this study might lead to new treatment options for these conditions."

AGE LINK

For example, some people who suffer from faints and dizzy spells when they stand up quickly, known as postural hypotension, could have poor brain blood flow linked to underlying inner ear problems, he said.

Ear, nose and throat expert Andrew McCombe, of ENT UK, said the balance organs may be one of the many reflexes that ensures our blood is sent to where it is needed.

"It makes sense that any organ that tells you that you are standing upright and not lying down will do this.

"And we know that as we age the whole inner ear does not work so well, so this may be involved in postural hypotension."

But he said it was only a small part of the equation, alongside the heart and blood vessels.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/8268336.stm

Published: 2009/12/27 00:00:06 GMT

� BBC MMIX

=================

More about Inner Ear and Vestibular symptoms at the Tinnitus thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/65801/2
-

kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. This is horrible. I'm feeling awful. So darn weak! I'm finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning and I don't have the energy to do anything. Maybe part depression as well... I don't know.

Maybe it is my meds... it's been worse since starting my new meds including Flagyl.

My mom is a nurse and she said she thinks she has a glocose reader laying around at work that she can send to me.

I'm just SO weak... it's so frustrating.

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than psych issues, one of my daughter's first issues were dealing with hypoglycemia..Be very careful..We have since discovered it is the body trying to compensate for pancreas issues.

It often floods the body with insulin as it begins to stop functioning...She soon went to insulin dependent diabetes.

I still believe the tick borne diseases precipitated all..

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
lymemomtoo brings up a good point. The author of this book discusses that and while he does not offer lots of tips on what to do about it, he points us in the direction to get support for adrenal and cardiac to lessens stressors while, of course, treating infection.

If the issue becomes one of high spikes followed by reactive low dips, here are some things to consider for further support:

Gymnema Sylvestre tops the list to help blood sugar from going through the roof. If only addressing LOW blood sugar, though, this would not be the time for Gymnema.

If high levels are involved, however, It is absolutely wonderful - and it helps stop cravings for sweets. Usually best in a formula.

--------------------------------

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gymnema Sylvestre - 126 abstracts

=======================

From a fabulous book, "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" (Tillotson):

http://tinyurl.com/5z2klz

GYMNEMA (Gymnema sylvestre )

WHAT IT DOES: Gymnema is bitter in taste, and cooling in action. It improves blood sugar control in diabetics, numbs the taste of sweet completely (for about 20 minutes), and decreases appetite (for about 90 minutes).

RATING: yellow

SAFETY ISSUES: None reported. Should not be used by people with low blood sugars (hypoglycemia).

STARTING DOSAGE:

* 1:1 extract: five to 10 ml per day
* Pill: 500-1000 mg three times per day

Gymnema actually means "sugar destroyer." It grows in the wild forests of central India, all the way to Western Ghats and up to the Himalayas.

Research indicates that gymnema stimulates insulin secretion or release of insulin from the pancreas. Japanese studies have shown that it improves glucose tolerance in animal models of diabetes, and other studies show that the effects can last for up to two months after discontinuation.

This herb is a good long-term tonic for Type I and II diabetics. Results are best seen after long-term administration, over six months to a year. I prefer to use it in combination with several other herbs for blood sugar control, because it affects only a few aspects of the imbalance.

In case you're curious, sugar tastes like sand for twenty minutes after you chew on a little gymnema.

- Full chapter at link above. And you can also search the book for ``Diabetes'' for a gold mine of more information.

=====================

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Gymnema

Search results for Gymnema: 6 articles

(Other beneficial supplements are also included in most of the articles).

===================

http://www.itmonline.org

ITM Search: Gymnema - 2 articles, one on interaction with drugs

ITM Search: Diabetes

- Eight pages of links, the top three focus on ``Treatment of Diabetes with Chinese Herbs . . . ``

======================

This is the formula my ND suggests:

http://tinyurl.com/3jjrpn

Ayush Herbs - Bio Gymnema

You can read the Ingredients here, too.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oops. Forgot to post the book and the edit function is not working to interject into previous post.

---------

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections - whether one is heavy or thin as even a thin person can have issues of fat accummulatons inside from the effects of infection and stress coming from that and a body out of kilter.

The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of STRESS on a person with such infections.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

THE POTBELLY SYNDROME: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

============

I don't recall if he mentions HAWTHORN EXTRACT as a good help with stress and a nurturing agent for the heart. PubMed has many good abstracts on the power of Hawthorn as does the "One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" linked above.

-

canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

Does sea salt containe iodine?

Is that why sea salt is recommended

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sea salt is better used by the body than table that has many good things removed and some not so good stuff added during processing. Sea salt has more of the natural minerals that are absent in processed table salt.

Sea salt can actually help cardiac patients (in the right amount) while processed table salt can be dangerous for cardiac patients. All lyme patients need to be mindful of heart care, too.

As for iodine, one might think, if from the sea it would but the iodine from the sea is mainly in the various seaweeds / kelp. I'm not sure how much, if any, iodine is in sea salt in general, that may vary. The brand I happen to use right now, Redmond Real Salt, has just 10% of the FDA's RDA of iodine in 1/4 tsp.

I'm not sure my brand is the best and I prefer Celtic Sea Salt but the store was out of it.

Some sea salt comes not from our seas today but from desserts that were once oceans. You have to take in mind what has happened to that land, too, so it's not just about the salt. I'm thinking of Nevada now and would want to study the effects of the bomb testing there decades ago and fallout, etc.

On the advice of my ND, I take one drop of Atomidine a day to be sure I get mine. It also helps my gum health to hold in with water in my mouth for a while.

One drop has 600 mcg which is 400% of the FDA's RDA (which often far less than necessary but do be careful as too much iodine can cause anxiety and nervous system irritation and mess with the thyroid).

You can check your supplements to see if iodine is there and Google for the amount you might need - and ask your doctor. If you ever feel jittery, cut back.

Vitamin Research Products (VRP) has very good research articles. Yes, they do sell products but I think their quality control is generally excellent for what they do and they don't store their products for months in a warehouse.

What impresses me most with their research articles is the consistent use of many sources from a wide selection of authors and the use of clear citations/footnotes documenting their findings.

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Iodoral

Articles about Iodine

---------------

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Sea_Salt

Articles about Sea Salt

----------------

You might ask your LLMD or LL ND (naturopathic doctor) or other LL doctor who oversees your nutrition (DC, DO, L.Ac) about this:

http://www.vitacost.com/Heritage-Products-Atomidine-Iodine

Atomidine
-

Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many years I have struggled with hypoglycemia. My blood sugar has always been low and my fasting blood sugar in particular has on occasion gotten dangerously low.

Although a nutrtionist gave me an eating plan to help manage the symptoms I always felt something was causing the hypoglycemia. I never believed it was "just the way I was".

Fast forward to last spring when I FINALLY was diagnosed with Lyme. After a few months on abx my hypoglycemia has almost completely resolved.

I should mention that while testing for Lyme, it was discovered that I was intolerant to gluten, soy and milk. Avoiding these things from my diet may have also helped my body not go into hypoglycemic episodes.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning and I don't have the energy to do anything. Maybe part depression as well... I don't know.

Maybe it is my meds... it's been worse since starting my new meds including Flagyl.

Could be a die off or herx
Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement