LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How common are Lyme heart Attacks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How common are Lyme heart Attacks?
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since having Lyme, Babs and Bart I have had more and more....scary chest pain right in the region of the heart. It is bad today and I am going to mention this to my doctor when I see her next Thursday.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also noticed my left thumb is going numb. Has been for days now.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium + Co Q10
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I can't have Co Q10 due to taking Mepron. It can interfere......but I eat foods that contain it. I take Magnesium.

What would a doctor do to check my heart out if I went to the hospital?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, TBD's cause inflammation throughout the body and the heart / arteries are no exception. If your chest is bothering you that severely, I wouldn't waste more time, I'd go to the ER and let them know. They'll likely do a stress test (chemical), ECG and other items.

Let us know, okay!?

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to the ER several times with chest pains and short of breath. They did a ct scan for me, and said I was fine, to follow up with a cardio. Then my cardio did an echo as well which showed nothing.

You probably should get checked out though!

I know this is so scary, and I feel for you. Some times I get tingling in my pinky, and I just think its lyme.

Is your arm/shoulder doing any better?

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

No, shoulder and arm hurt like hell. They have for months on end! My left thumb, the tip is going numb! Has been for days!

I had the EKG and all that, last year and was fine except an EKG block and slight murmur? I forget. I am afraid to go to the ER because if they use a catheter into my arm to get to the heart....I'll pass out.

I similar stabbing chest pains around Thanksgiving but it went away.

I found these symptoms and they always mention pain in the center of the chest. Mine is always over the heart.

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/wordpress/lyme-disease-can-be-fatal-beware-of-lyme-heart-attacks/

Pain, pressure, fullness, discomfort or squeezing in the center of the chest
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Stabbing chest pain
Radiating pain to shoulder(s), neck, back, arm(s) or jaw
Pounding heartbeats (palpitations) or feeling extra heartbeats
Upper abdominal pain
Nausea, vomiting or severe indigestion
Sweating for no apparent reason
Dizziness with weakness
Sudden extreme fatigue
Panic with feeling of impending doom

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richdie - I'd get to an ER asap if I were you *regardless* of how afraid you are of a cardiac cath or anything else. You can pass out all you want..you'll be in a hospital.

I've had exactly the same symptoms..and occ they've subsided and other times..well I've gone straight to the ER. The words "chest pain" will get you seen asap..even if you're not sure if it's 'only Lyme' or 'something else'.

Your life is too precious to play guessing games with. Please look after yourself and give us an update??

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Honestly sometimes I just don't want to live with this hell anymore and whatever happens, happens. :-(

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to get to an ER!

I'm so sorry your arm is not any better either. Have you always had the chest pain and air hunger, or is this new?

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richedie - I hear 'ya!! I'm also waaaaay over this crap!! Take care!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry to hear what an awful time you are having and also fully agree that you should go to an ER immediately.

I had something similar happen to me on numerous occasions and went for test after test only to find nothing. I had a lot of the same symptoms and thought for sure I was having a heart attack. It ended up being my gallbladder and having lodged gallstones.

You never should take any chances with chest pains, but has your gallbladder been considered at all?

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this for awhile. Don't waste your time going to the ER.

I dropped 500 dollars and got laughed out the door. The basically said I was having heartburn.

Reality is these buggers attack the heart. Keep treating lyme and hope you contain them or kill em.

And magnesium!!

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Yes, I have had off/on chest pain, air hunger for a long time with this. I know they will find nothing and send me packing. If I do not go, I will have my Lyme doc run some tests next week. She is fully set up for that.

****es me off because I have a friend or two who do nothing but eat McDonalds and Burger King all week and I am the one with chest pain? Being an exercise enthusiast, health nut, don't drink, never smoked, and this is the thanks I get.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They won't do a catheter in your arm. I've had all kinds of heart tests and never have had anything like that.

To do a heart catheterization, they go through the groin and they numb it first.... no problem.
(or was I knocked out first??)

I would get an EKG and an echo if it were me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, it might be due to the Mepron.

Mepron works by oxidizing to kill babesia.

We need CoEnzyme Q10 and other antioxidants for the cells to work properly.

Low CoEnzyme Q10 can cause cardiac problems.

Do you think you could check with your doc about stopping the Mepron for a week or two, so that you could load up on CoQ10 and other antioxidants.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richedie - I have every symptom right now on your lyme heart attack list and have been scared silly for days. Waiting and waiting for days for LLMD to call me back.

I have had a heart cath and been told there is nothing wrong. Last time I went to ER for chest pain was 6 months ago and it wasn't this bad.

LLMDs nurse called back yesterday and suggested I make an appointment with a cardiologist but didn't suggest ER. Told me I could cancel the appointment after she talked to LLMD if he didn't feel it was necessary.

Cardiologist won't make an appointment without a referral since it's been more than a year since he saw me and two since the heart cath. They said they'd call me back sometime next week to see about setting up an appointment sometime in January if I could get the referral.

Also having frightening episodes waking up with racing heart, chest pain, jaw pain into my teeth, left arm numb or hurting, freezing cold/shaking, chest pressure, hard to breathe, blood pressure all over the place, etc.

The don't seem to be taking it very seriously at LLMD's office and told me they would try to have LLMD spare 5 minutes tomorrow to call me.

I can't take the expense of going to the ER again but frankly I'm to the point that I might go.

Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had these pains and symptoms, too. Do you have a blood pressure cuff? I have one for my wrist that keeps a record of pressures. It's a good idea to do that regularly so everyone knows what's happening.

Also I take blood pressure medicine. I used to take Toprol but it made me even more tired. Now I take Bystolic and it's keeping my heart rate down without making me as tired.

But I do have a cardiologist and I get checked regularly by him. This is nothing to fool around with!!!

My jaw pain is from the darned clenching. I broke a tooth off at the base of it! I also clench my left fist. Weird, huh? I think a lot of this is just the miserable disease. But you do have to keep a close watch on that heart!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Well, I read form some Lyme docs the no Co Q10 and Alpha Lypoic acid thing is not true and makes little sense so i might ask my doc if I can start taking it. I believe I get a good amount of dietary Q10 through Cod Liver oil, organic chicken, spinach, brocolli, whole grains, peanuts. I eat seriously well.

My blood pressure is always low.

My doctor just said wait till next week's appt and we'll check it all out with an EKG and an echo.

How about aspirin for blood thinning?

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richedie - You'll get all sorts of comments on aspirin, but I like aspirin. If you think it'll hurt your stomach, just crush it up into powder first, put it on your tongue and knock it back w/H2O.

I think aspirin can be very beneficial. Just IMO.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfalcone
Member # 19035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfalcone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have the energy to read the wonderful responses, so apologize if this is redundant....the vegas nerve can be effected... the sensation can feel like a heart attack. You must always rule a heart attack out, but this is not uncommon among lyme patients. You're description reminds me of me. Hang in there and stay vigilant, as I can see you are. It is the most scary symptom that I have had. I have had echos and holters and many emergency calls to my dr. I have found that dealing with the anxiety that comes with my symptoms (which by the way are greatly reduced and after so many years I NEVER thought I'd say that so don't lose hope). Yogic breathing. Guided Imagery. Meditation. Anxiety has been my toughest opponent after lyme.

--------------------
Look for the moments you are glad you got to have each day... I call these Butterfly Kisses, and the more you see... the more you see.

Posts: 30 | From Northeast PA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Thanks, all......but I know I can not live the rest of my life like this. I have to get through this. I can't live like this.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of a Lyme patients having a heart attack, which is odd to me.

However, I have heard of "tons" of patients who had symptoms of a heart attack -- thought they were having one -- and went to the doctors or ER only to be told their heart was fine after having scanning and a variety of tests done.

What does this tell me? It's the nervous system and muscles surrounding the area that are likely sending out pain signals. It can be a shooting pain, stabbing, numbness, harsh aching etc.

I have thought I was having one too, but of course the same thing happened to me. Nothing was wrong with my heart.

At any rate, you always need to have it evaluated, but take solace in what I've said so that you don't go into full blown panic until you do get evaluated.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Thanks, all......but I know I can not live the rest of my life like this. I have to get through this. I can't live like this.

You will get through it as long as you continue to do what you've been doing. It's a "when" issue, not "if."

Treatment combinations and therapy take forever, whether for it to work or to find the right one. Eventually though, most patients improve.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i went to the er so often with this, i finally gave up.

they said i was having stress attacks and practically threw me out. one nurse told me to grow up!!!

ah, the er...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dfalcone - Nice write up...

Richie.....I have the same exact stuff going on as you do. My chest hurts in the upper left over my heart & "boob".

It always tightens up after I eat, then I get anxiety and have to take an ativan or two (lately 2). The DULL CONSTANT chest pain is the worst. Feels like my heart muscle is dying.

IT SUCKS, ya don't know whether or not you're going to have a heart attack this time or not. Yesterday I was laying on the couch watching the tv, I got up and walked into the kitchen, my heart rate went up to about 135 for 3 minutes.

I could feel the beating in my head, neck and chect, I thought, wow this is extreme, after about 5 minutes, heart went back down to my normal 96 at rest. This is my LYME normal, not my normal rest which was around 68 before Lyme.

So, I FEEL for you brother. I say to myself once or twice a day, I'm going to the F%^$ING hospital this time, but never do. I feel as if Lyme is destroying my heart slowly and that one day, I will suddenly disappear from this forum and no one will ever know...

So much for my skiing, mountain biking, hobbies, I can barely walk around anymore with the shortness of breath crap.

Keep the chin up Rich, I'm right there with ya.....Rich

Oh yeah and the thumbs....in my nail beds under the thumb nails, the nerves are dying. My left nail turned white, it is growing back normal now though, go figure, all fingers and toes have some sort of numbness

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement