LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NAC supplement for biofilms- have you used it? Results or comments?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NAC supplement for biofilms- have you used it? Results or comments?
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not using it but it is on my list to add in and try soon.

NAC Reduces Biofilm Formation
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - Byron Richards, CCN

Germ gangs, otherwise known as biofilms, indicate that a ``call to war'' is linking bacteria together in a hostile mode that attacks the human host. A new study shows that NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) can reduce biofilm formation by 62% - a rather astounding finding for a nutrient.

The researchers tested NAC against a wide variety of problematic bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Escherichia coli, Klebseilla pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Proteus vulgaris. Once these organisms form biofilms they are often resistance to antibiotics and very difficult to get rid of. Too bad NAC wasn't tested against Candida albicans biofilms, as I bet it works on them too.

The precise mechanism of how NAC works its anti-biofilm magic is unknown. NAC is an important antioxidant that fuels the production of cellular glutathione. NAC is known to dissolve mucous and is an excellent respiratory support nutrient. Low levels of NAC reduce the functionality of immune troops that patrol mucosal surfaces. However, to dissolve a biofilm there must be a direct communication into the germ gang that fools its defense shield. Right now we don't know how it works - we just know it works.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, this explains why NAC is recommended for bronchitis.

I knew that Serrapeptase, a systemic enzyme, worked against bronchitis because it reduces fibrin.

Dr. Stephen Sinatra, a cardiologist in New England, has written that Wobenzym, a systemic enzyme blend, when used with cat's claw, is good for Lyme.

The systemic enzymes reduce the biofilm protecting the bacteria, and the cat's claw invigorate the white blood cells to phage them.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 1200mg NAC twice daily for liver support. Hopefully it helps.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took NAC. My LLMD wanted me taking it during heavy metal chelation/detox. It's a glutathione precursor.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking NAC for over a year because of its use as a glutathione precursor. I'm happy to hear that it's also supposed to help with biofilms!

I can't say how effective it is at biofilms, but I am fairly certain it's made my liver happy. My monthly lab tests all show totally normal liver enzymes, despite my fairly aggressive antibiotic regimen.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby has taken this off and on for several years -- have tried several different brands. Don't know if it does anything for biofilms, but do think it helps with glutathione production if taken with alpa lipoic acid.

The brand he is currently using is Jarrow -- NAC Sustain is a sustained release tablet which is supposed to keep the blood levels more constant. Available from Vitacost.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great feed back.... and very much appreciated.

Did anyone notice a worsening of your condition when using it? Or did you have to start slowly and work up on the dose?

For some reason I am hesitating??

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NAC is used in hospitals to detoxify tylenol overdoses, as well as treatment for respiratory illnesses - pretty impressive for a nutrient! Yale is conducting a clinical trial using NAC, coupled with an antidepressant for the treatment of OCD. Apparently, it is also a glutamate modulator, and recent MRI studies have shown a glutamatergic dysfunction in people with OCD. I think many lyme patients have an overproduction of glutamate, which leads to glutathione deficiency. Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter and in excess is toxic!

Sounds like NAC should be a part of any lymie's protocol.

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When's the best time to take NAC? With food, without food? Does it matter if you take it with other vitamins at the same time?

What's the recommended dosage? Anyone experiencing side effects with this?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 2400 a day. Yes I did notice a worsening of my symptoms so I backed off and started with 600 and worked up. It is also antibacterial.
Do a search for its antibacterial properties, you will find several articles.

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, cleo. Do you take it with food or without food? Does it matter? Does it upset your stomach at all?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. Catching the tail end of this discussion. Been quite busy trying to stay alive these days, so I frequently catch the tail end of things.

Where does one buy NAC? What are the top "adjunctive" nutritional supplements, say, if you had to name 5 to treat lyme or babs, or both?

Mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with 600 mg 3 x a day when I started my treatment.

Since increasing meds, now on 6 per day for liver support.

I buy from vitacost, the NSI brand.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dfalcone
Member # 19035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfalcone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way!? This is great information!

--------------------
Look for the moments you are glad you got to have each day... I call these Butterfly Kisses, and the more you see... the more you see.

Posts: 30 | From Northeast PA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will give you an exact copy of my n
otes on NAC as spoken by Dr. K. at a Conference several years ago to a large group of medical professionals:

"NAC is suicide. It is an amino acid -- a sulfhydril group containing amino acid that binds mercury where it finds it and drags it to wherever it goes; the redistribution problem is maybe more pronouned with N-acetyl cysteine than with any other thing."

He does have a way of saying what he thinks. I have heard it told exactly like that by another MD/researcher from Europe. And I have heard the same every year since.

This is an agent that should only be used (as some others) in the late detox phase. And only with the guidance of a professional.

I have posted about the problem with taking NAC many times. Please read some of my posts.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

I am NOT ignoring you all and have checked some of the responses.. real helpful. I'm just kind of tied up with this NJ stuff... so will sit down later and read it all carefully!

Thanks for helping me with this topic!

BIG TIME Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

jl123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jl123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that when I take NAC right at the same time with Alpha Lopic Acid that I feel much better.

Maybe the ALA helps carry out the mercury that the NAC pulls up.

Or maybe they simply are working as Cleo says as some sort of synergistic way as a Antibiotic?

Advice- try taking NAC and ALA together. J

Posts: 268 | From new york city | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps some patients are heavily laden with biofilms which include various metals like mercury, iron et al. Maybe these people need to be extra careful with NAC. In the meantime, it seems ironic that some docs are prescribing it for the release of heavy metals - maybe it's more for patients that have ``recent" (non-Lyme) heavy metal exposures (or other poisons that bind/chelate with NAC). Gigi makes an interesting distinction about ``late detox phase'' that complements this point: be careful! In the meantime, here are some relevant abstracts below.

Please note: different mercury formulations may be a confusing factor in this issue. I'd be surprised if ANY evidence is conclusive; but I am happy to be wrong. Any biochemists in the house? This overlaps with vaccine concerns too.

N-acetylcysteine as an antidote in methylmercury poisoning.

Methylmercury is a ubiquitous environmental pollutant and potent neurotoxin. Treatment of methylmercury poisoning relies almost exclusively on the use of chelating agents to accelerate excretion of the metal. The present study demonstrates that oral administration of N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a widely available and largely nontoxic amino acid derivative, produces a profound acceleration of urinary methylmercury excretion in mice. Mice that received NAC in the drinking water (10 mg/ml) starting at 48 hr after methylmercury administration excreted from 47 to 54% of the 203Hg in urine over the subsequent 48 hr, as compared to 4-10% excretion in control animals. When NAC-containing water was given from the time of methylmercury administration, it was even more effective at enhancing urinary methylmercury excretion and at lowering tissue mercury levels. In contrast, excretion of inorganic mercury was not affected by oral NAC administration. The ability of NAC to enhance methylmercury excretion when given orally, its relatively low toxicity, and is wide availability in the clinical setting indicate that it may be an ideal therapeutic agent for use in methylmercury poisoning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1533084/

Differential effect of N-acetylcysteine on excretion of the metals Hg, Cd, Pb and Au
Journal Archives of Toxicology
Publisher Springer Berlin / Heidelberg
ISSN 0340-5761 (Print) 1432-0738 (Online)
Issue Volume 60, Number 5 / July, 1987
Category Letter to the Editors
DOI 10.1007/BF00295763
Pages 401-402
Subject Collection Biomedical and Life Sciences
SpringerLink Date Saturday, December 11, 2004

H. Ottenw�lder1 and P. Simon1
Institut f�r Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universit�t Dortmund, Ardeystr. 67, D-4600 Dortmund 1, Germany
Received: 23 February 1987 Accepted: 6 April 1987

Abstract Male Wistar rats were subacutely treated with sublethal doses of HgCl2, CdCl2, Pb(NO3)2, or Na-aurothiomalate. The metal preparations contained trace doses of radioactive nuclide. Based on the doses given and on the radioactivity excretion in urine and faeces the body burden was determined. After the metal treatment periods, some of the animals received N-acetylcysteine (up to 100 mg/kg daily, on 6 consecutive days, i.p.), and the effect of this potential chelator on metal excretion was monitored. The excretion of Hg (after dosing with HgCl2) was not influenced by N-acetylcysteine. The elimination of Cd in urine (after dosing with CdCl2) was increased by a factor of four. Also, the elimination of Pb [after dosing with Pb(NO3)2] was gradually increased (in faeces and urine) by increasing doses of N-acetylcysteine. After dosing with Na-aurothiomalate, the excretion of Au in urine was increased to about 30%. The data suggest some activity of N-acetylcysteine in facilitating excretion of Pb, Cd or Au, but not of Hg.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p322083126qv821q/

Excerpted:

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is an altered form of the non-essential amino acid cysteine, which is commonly found in food and synthesized by the body. The oral cysteine that is best tolerated is called N-Acetyl Cysteine.

NAC helps the body synthesize glutathione, an important antioxidant. Cysteine is the rate-limiting amino acid in the production of glutathione. In other words, if one is low in cysteine, the production of glutathione can not move forward. Many studies have shown that supplementation of cysteine has led to increased intercellular levels of glutathione.

Deficiencies of NAC have not been defined and may not even exist. Healthy people do not need to supplement NAC. The use of N-Acetyl L-Cysteine in medicine is well researched and documented for a variety of conditions. NAC is a precursor to one of the body's most potent anti-oxidants, glutathione. It is through this action, that NAC is used for help in liver support, and has even been used to prevent acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisonings.

Probably its best-known use is as a mucolytic. By breaking the disulphide bonds in the mucus of the intestines and especially the lungs, NAC is able to break down the mucus and make it less viscous. This is especially important during asthma, bronchitis, and bouts of hay fever.

As an antioxidant, NAC has a number of scavenging activities that benefit many organ systems and is often used in antioxidant supplements.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T292370.html

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the book, Insights Into Lyme Disease Treatments by Connie Strasheim, on page 97 Dr. Susan M, MS MD, writes:
"This is just my clinical obserbation, but when I use enzymes such as Boluoke, Nattokinase, Zyactinase and so on, in combination with N-acetyl-cysteine and lactoferrin to degrade the biofilm, patients seem to respond to antimicrobial agents much better".

So I started using NAC and nattokinase and lactoferrin. I don't know if it is helping.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, NAC supplements are not created equal because much of the NAC contained within "bottled" NAC supplements is not bioavailable ......hence less effective.

http://addiandcassi.com/category/products-we-like/

PharmaNAC is an effervescent tablet form of NAC and reportedly it is a very bioavailable form of NAC.

http://pharmanac.com/us/02_ghealth_pharmanac.html

http://nybcsecure.org/product_info.php?products_id=258

"All NAC supplements are NOT the same. The problem I have run into with most over the counter NAC supplements is their packaging. NAC is a strong thiol-bearing compound prone to air oxidization.

Once you open the bottle you bought on the Internet, the product has likely degraded since the time it was on the manufacturing line. Bioavailabilty (the amount that actually gets into your body) is likely low.

There is a company called BioAdvantex in Canada that makes a pharmaceutical grade NAC supplement that comes in an effervescent tablet form (see photo). Think of an Alka Seltzer with a wild berry flavor. Each PharmaNAC fizzy tablet is individually wrapped in a special paper/plastic/foil material to keep moisture and air from entering the package.

The manufacturing process is very well controlled to produce the most bioavialable form of NAC on the market today. Each tablet comes in 900mgs which I like."

****On pages 2-3 on the link down bellow the authors describe why the effervescent form of NAC is superior to other NAC supplements.

http://herzenberg.stanford.edu/Publications/Reprints/LAH523.pdf

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't read all posts...i started using it to fight virus and it has become one of my favorits...did not know about biofilm thing

anyway-i do not want to be w/o it---just like cosamine and coq10 and mag...

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi, Is it possible that Dr. Klinghardt has retracted or revised his position on NAC? I found a document dated Aug 2009 that included NAC in Klinghardt's Mercury Chelation Protocol:

"His comprehensive approach to mercury detoxification is customized to the patient and methods used may include: chlorella, cilantro, minerals, probiotics, MSM, essential fatty acids, vitamins, DMPS, sulfur-bearing amino acids, DMSA and NAC, hyaluronic acid, and homeopathy."

Does he offer a more detailed or sequenced plan that anyone knows of?

This is such an important supplement, but we need professional guidance in using it. I can't get either of my daughter's doctors to give me more than an indifferent nod when I bring it up. I would love it if we could get an expert to look at recent studies and weigh in.

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement