LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how long does it take to find right sleep med

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long does it take to find right sleep med
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how long does it take to find the right combination?

i am struggling with sleep
Ambien worked but left me hung over for days
trying Restoril and half ativan tonight but not working obviously

i cannot go on with nonsleep
it is miserable

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on other meds that are causing this insomnia? Are you on antibiotics? Do you think this is a side effect, a herx, or the Lyme itself?

Do you exercise? Do you avoid caffeine, eating, and stimulating tv before bed?

Sorry for these questions, because I know what absolute insomnia is like, but those come first before or in addition to meds.

Have you tried L-theanine, 5 HTP, or melanonin? Benadryl? Hypnosis?

My daughter just used alternating Ambien and Restoril to get through 2 weeks of exams, because her anticonvulsant dose caused extreme insomnia. The insomnia made her physically ill, gaunt, it was horrible. Insomnia also caused migraines and seizures to increase. Insomnia is serious.

So sympathies to you.

Our pharmacist said some people use these meds for months or even years, but we also read that Ambien should not be used for more than 7-10 days, and that Restoril tolerance builds fast, so that you need more and more to get sleep.

I realize how desperate you might be, but if possible, avoiding long term use of these drugs seems better. But first, get some sleep!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What has worked wonder for me is the herb corydalis root which you can buy online by itself or from Zhang in his Herbsom. I buy Herbal Extracts Plus and it is much cheaper than Zhang.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Xanax. Usually only .75, but sometimes I need 1mg. Also, I have noticed that some abx make it harder for me to go to sleep, and they also can cause wierd dreams.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been plagued for years with severe insomnia. Occasionally for no explicable reason I will get a few hours of good sleep.

A few weeks ago after reading some posts on LymeNet I decided to make a concentrated effort to really boost my immune system by taking more and different supplements as it was suggested that would help. I already take Trazodone as rx'd by my therapist.

As my cortisol level is extremely elevated all day and night, I suspect that is also a huge culprit. I take Cortisol Manager to help with that problem.

I have read too that adequate magnesium can help improve sleep, so I make sure to take enough.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am reacting badly to antibiotics so i am not on them currently
am looking to try herbals

i dont drink caffiene
i have no energy to exercise
and try not to watch tv at night
i am exhausted but night time comes and my mind is wide awake
my mouth hurts from tmj too

i have tried l-theanine, do yo mean by itself?
valerian, melatonin, htp have the opposite effect so do many herbs
ive tried all the natural herbs or so i thought

i have not tried Zhangs herb so maybe that would work

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

i am reacting badly to antibiotics so i am not on them currently
am looking to try herbals

i dont drink caffiene
i have no energy to exercise
and try not to watch tv at night
i am exhausted but night time comes and my mind is wide awake
my mouth hurts from tmj too

i have tried l-theanine, do yo mean by itself?
valerian, melatonin, htp have the opposite effect so do many herbs
ive tried all the natural herbs or so i thought

i have not tried Zhangs herb so maybe that would work

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
honestly.. i have had this problem forever and nothing has ever helped that is a drug or herb or supplement.

I have had to do a lot of Meditation and deep breathing exercises and that is the ONLY thing that has ever helped me get SOME sleep.

Its a rough one..And no easy answers.....

The other thing is a nice warm bath before bed and some tea and just kind get your mind and body
the "message" it is time.

Its taken me years to pick away at the hours I lay awake. I wish I had some help for you. I really do.

For some the drugs work. For me I sleep walk and feel so horrible from them and eat or do weird things that it is not worth those hours I "supposidly" am sleeping. i think it is not even sleeping. i think it puts you in an alterted state to make you think you slept but it does not work in my opinion..

If it works for some.. great...

If I have to sleep in the day I do it.. And sometimes that is the only way to get some.. even if that is not the right way to help correct your sleep pattern issues.

Like you said. You have to have some..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
nefferdun - thanks for that link. I love the detail in their articles. I love reading this stuff. The page on one of my favorites, BUPLEURUM ROOT, is one of the best articles that I've seen.

============

Mentioned above, magnesium is a key helper for so many reasons.

As long as our adrenal system is overtaxed, sleep can be challenging. Adrenal support during the day helps so very much at night for our body to be able to settle down.

Cordyceps is a good start for adrenal support that is not stimulating so as to interfer with sleep.

As long as the liver is overwhelmed, sleep will be hard. Liver support is the first line of support and then, checking all medicines to see what effect they have on the liver . . .

While herbs are generally kinder to the liver or have less of a "hang-over" effect, one herb often used for sleep can really knock some people for a loop. That is valarian. So, if it works, great. If not, don't try to make it work for you. Chances are your body type is not meant for it.

I have tried on various occasions to make that work for me. I finally realized that it never will. But there are many other wonderful choices.

Since I've been taking andrographis, I need no sleep help at all.

===============

If you do use the Hepapro Herbsom, be sure your body is free of other sleeping pills as it can interact with the herb, corydalis.

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/corydalis.cfm

. . . Corydalis may enhance the effects of sedatives, including alcohol and benzodiazepines, and should not be used at the same time. . . .

=============

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=sleep

Some great articles on Sleep - and what can help in a safe manner.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ambien was mentioned somewhere above. Many years ago I had some harrowing experiences when taking that. Last year I stumbled upon some articles that helped to explain a lot.

-----

www.nytimes.com/2006/03/14/business/14ambienbox.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=ambien&st=cse&oref=slogin

The New York Times - March 14, 2006

Safeguards When Using Ambien

=======================

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/11730360#11730360

NBC Video: ``Ambien Drivers'' - 2 minutes

=================

http://abcnews.go.com/search?searchtext=Ambien&type=

Video: 3/14/07 - "Sleep Driving on Ambien" - about 2 minutes

============

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11726645/

Driving under the influence -- of sleeping pills: Ambien among top 10 drugs found in impaired drivers

===============

www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/business/08ambien.html?scp=1&sq=ambien&st=cse

The New York Times - March 8, 2006

Some Sleeping Pill Users Range Far Beyond Bed

================

From the manufacturer's website:

http://www.ambiencr.com/

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION for AMBIEN and AMBIEN CR

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son (19) was not slept well since birth. We have tried a lot of options for him, but nothing so far gives him quality sleep. He has been taking Phenibut for the past couple of months along with a mix of other sleep meds.

Alprazolam (Xanax) helps but his doctors (LLMD & functional medicine) do not want him to take it.

He tried Lunesta for 2 days last week and he fell asleep right away but woke up in 30 minutes and every hour after that until morning.

He isn't on antibiotics. His life would be so much better with quality sleep.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement