LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Serious weight gain problem....please help..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Serious weight gain problem....please help..
bschao
Member # 22371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bschao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Up to appx. 3 months ago my weight has always stayed between 140 and 145. Since then, I have gained 30 pounds!!!! I don't know what is causing it at all. I see Dr. F in AZ so I will be asking him this next week when I see him.

The following are the medications I take:
Pexeva (brand name for Paxil)
Klonopin
Aciphex
Percocet
Morphine Sulphate
Azithromyacin
Vitamin D3
Multivitamin
Probiotic

Even though I am quite sick I still get in some exercise everyday and I eat well. But I am so depressed about this weight gain. I talked to my Psychiatrist today about it and she said to address it to Dr. F. She said out of the meds I take the ones that cause weight gain are Pexeva, and the pain meds..percocet and morphine sulphate. I've been taking the pain meds close to 5 years and have never had a problem before. I was on generic paxil before with no problem..maybe it's the Pexeva?? My thyroid checks out fine. Any suggestions for me please?

Thanks so much,
Sherrie

Posts: 53 | From Phoenix | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like thyroid.
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bschao
Member # 22371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bschao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi canefan,

But my thyroid checked out fine....hmmmmm.
Thanks for the response.

Sherrie

Posts: 53 | From Phoenix | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weigh yourself at the same time everyday. Keep a written record. Look for big jumps in weight in one day, this will help determine if you are gaining fluid or if it is a slower weight gain.

Keep a food diary to get some idea of the number of calories you are eating. This will help determine if the gain has anything to do with the amount of food you are eating.

It is not uncommon to have a large weight gain with chronic lyme despite no change in calories. Hard to believe but it happened to me and others with chronic lyme.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Don't worry about it. Just eat the very best healthful foods in the right amounts. Focus on nutrition.

Once the infections are under control, this should normalize.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thyroid panels (TSH, etc) just aren't enough to go on.

Support your adrenals, balance your pH, and clean up the diet, exercise... the rest will take care of itself.

This is all my opinion.

I think everyone with Lyme has adrenal/thyroid issues.... no matter what the tests say.

Adrenal support has probably saved my life.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abbriggs
Member # 21809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbriggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gained 55 Pounds since starting Paxil a year ago. Weight gain in the most common side effect of it. I have been on it a few times over the years and every time I am I gain a significant amount of weight.
Posts: 56 | From Austin, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wish i could gain back my pounds

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bschao
Member # 22371

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am pretty down about this. None of my clothes fit me any more other than sweats or something like that. I don't want to go out and buy new clothes at all. If it is caused by the infection..I have to wait until I am better for the weight to come down?

Have a nice night all,
Sherrie

abbriggs
Member # 21809

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbriggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not alot of fun. I went from a size 4 to a 12 in the matter of months. I am currently trying to come off of the paxil. I am down to 5mg and I do not have the horrible cravings that I did. It was almost a compulsion to eat. It was like I had to have it. It is not something I have ever experienced. If there was a cake in front of me I could not just eat one piece. I would eat half of the cake. For Breakfast!!
Posts: 56 | From Austin, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter gained 90 lbs in four months. She switched around some anti-depressants, and that helped.

But, her Lyme doc said almost ALL his patients come in overweight and lose it.

She did. She is now back to a size zero.

This was very hard on a teenager.

Paxil is not the best anti-depressant. Wellbutrin has the fewest side affects and few gain weight on it. If you need one, this is one of the best.

One anti-depressant caused my daughter to nearly gorge herself at night. We wondered later if she was sleep eating, as well.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had any luck with diuretics? I also have a weight gain problem that just popped on in the last year.
Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bschao
Member # 22371

Thank you all again for the great replies. One of those "at least I'm not alone" kind of things.

Kelmo....how long did it take for your daughter to lose the weight?

Thanks so much,
Sherrie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement