LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Depression Medication Experiences

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression Medication Experiences
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Folks,

My daughter's Lyme has caused her to fall into depression and we are looking to get her medicated while she recovers.

The side effects of Lexapro scare us when she needs to come off of it.....she has taken one dose...and immediately had a headache.

Have any of you had experiences.

Please help.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old is your daughter, and how long has she been ill and how long in treatment? I'm asking as if I have an answer for you, I don't really know about this topic, esp. for children.

I was helped with depression by taking a supplement called SAM-e. My depression may not have been as severe as your daughter's. And I don't know if it can help children.

My depression was also helped by detoxing.

I hope someone here can be more helpful. Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried cymbalta an ssnri a little while ago. With my anxiety I felt it was too stimulating. I had tried SAM-e and had the same experience since they do similar things. Anxiety is more my problem than depression. I take klonopin, but I only take .25mg at night. The rx says I can take .5 mg 2x a day.

One caution I would give is to go slowly when trying antidepressents. I have tried others in the past and have found that starting low and slow is the way to go for me. Often some will find that just a lttle dose is enough and if not you can go higher.

I have seen where some in this forum can get by with 5mg when 10 mg is the more common dose. If you don't get enough of a response, you may want to edit your topic to include the word lexapro.

As far as getting off Lexapro, I have heard that taking it down slowly helps or switching to prozac and then coming off helps since prozac has a longer half life.

I hope this helps. If one thing doesn't work try something else until you find something that works.

B4

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Lexapro caused headache and nausea in my daughter. We also tried 2 other meds and are looking to try another-- mostly for horrendous anxiety.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been suffering with horrendous anxiety also. So much so that I admitted myself to a psych hospital.

I started Klonopin and I feel much better. However, I don't know if they give that to people under 18.

Your best bet would be to take her to a psychiatrist. They are better and combining and tweeking these meds.

Sorry your daughter is dealing with this. I know how awful it can be.

Blessings to you...kitkat

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our 18 year-old daughter started Lexapro at .6mg. I kid you not. She got the kids' 5mg tablet, and took a fraction of it. Her pill splitting skills are amazing!

She has learned to try any drug at 10% of the usual starting dose, or even less.

This has enabled her to take meds that she otherwise would not be able to take.

Start your child at a very low dose, and also make sure the timing is right. Our daughter found that at first, it made her sleepy, then, 4 or 5 hours later, woke her up and made her feel agitated.

She took it at 3 am, to help her sleep more at night (she always got up then, anyway) and then it also woke her up and helped her get up at 7!

Withdrawal was okay with lexapro, although she has had the problem of fluishness and electric brain zaps getting off zoloft in the past. Tapering much more slowly than recommended by MD's works best: tiny amounts each week.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Magnesium usually help calm a headache for me. It's also very good for the liver, the nerve fibers, and can lift depression and calm anxiety.

Over a decade ago, at various times before that, I was very close to the end of my ability to stay on this earth, it was very hard trying to tolerate antidepressants (that was before lyme was identified and before the liver connection was understood).

I had a very hard time with any of the meds and I really gave them all a fair trials. My body just can't handle any chemicals, though. Found out my liver does not process well - so, on top of lyme, I had two kinds of genetic porphyrias.

Have you considered the KPU information for your daughter? It might be that the toxins from lyme and the Rx increase porphryins for her and that can cause depression and anxiety.

What worked for me: Magnesium to bowel tolerance, Fish oil, DARK chocolate (one ounce of 85% a day; sometimes two, with nuts) all work far better for me than any of the antidepressants.

Rather than even the very low sugar dark chocolate, you can put cocoa powder in any kind of milk and add a touch of stevia, too. Cocoa has some miraculous effects.

Depression can also be a sign that the liver is overwhelmed or can't process toxins. Milk Thistle, etc.

Weekly massage was a fabulous tool at times - it is so good in so many ways.

And ADRENAL support also brought me back from severe suicidal tendencies. Sharp drops in blood sugar would also bring sharp drops in mood and ability to cope - to even function at all. In my case, all that was connected to the adrenal stress from lyme.

Now, your daughter may do well on an Rx, but if she does not, there are many other things that can help. I just wish I had known of those even back in college when I got mono - and also happened to become very depressed at the same time.

No one even mentioned magnesium or fish oil, etc. or SAMe, Gotu Kola, etc.

Getting to sleep by 10 pm, too, is key to calming depression. I just read a study about that last week regarding teen depression and connection with staying late.

A gluten-free diet also had very nice effects at lifting some depression. Within a week or two, I noticed a difference. It did turn out that I had a genetic celiac but many lyme patients are sensitive to gluten, too.

===========

From a nutrional supplement research site, many articles are linked here:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=depression

Circadian Rhythm Synchronicity : A Unified Treatment for Affective Disorders

Natural Support for Depression : New Mechanism of Action Behind Nutritional Mood Enhancers

Depression: Antidepressant Side Effects Hinder Long-Term Treatment : A Review of Side Effects and Alternative Therapies

Lithium Orotate : The Mood-Enhancing Mineral

Progesterone: The 'Feel-Good' Hormone - Part I

Inflammation : Its Surprising Role in Everything from Depression to Insulin Resistance

========

More specifically to lyme patients, Sherr's site, The Human Side of Lyme may have some detail regarding depression solutions. I'll see if I can find that link.

-

[ 01-12-2010, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
www.thehumansideoflyme.net

The Human Side of Lyme - An Inhumane Disease of the Brain

Deliberations of a psychiatrist . . . [regarding] Lyme and other tick-borne diseases of the mind, sharing case histories of those who . . . .

====================

The list of symptoms from elevated porphyrins (in those unable to metabolize certain toxins) is very similar to those lyme and of a herx:

http://www.cpnhelp.org/secondaryporphyria

SECONDARY PORPHYRIA: what you should know before starting a CAP (combined antibiotic protocol)

=================

KPU (Kryptopyrroluria) is just ONE type of porphryia that seems to have importance regarding patients with lyme, autism and those who have issues with heavy metals:

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/KPUprotocol.pdf

KLINGHARDT's KPU PROTOCOL

===================

More discussion here about KPU (kryptopyrroluria) regarding patients with chronic lyme:

http://www.drrandy.org/article.html

A New Breakthrough In Helping Chronically Ill Patients - by Randy S. Baker, MD

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Please pardon my enthusiasm. I'll stop now after Just one more set for something that really helped save my life a few different times.

Gotu Kola (not a cola) can calm the nervous system while also helping with alertness. It helps give a sense of well-being without feeling ``wired'' or ``hungover''.

Of everything I've used over the years, I cannot say enough good about the wonderful effects I've seen - in many ways - from Gotu Kola. I really wish I had know about this when first hit with mono in college and depression hit at the same time like a cement wall.

========

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Gotu Kola - 249 abstracts

Centella asiatica - 245 abstracts

Gotu Kola, depression - 8 abstracts

Gotu Kola, anxiety - 6 abstracts

Gotu Kola, startle - one abstract

Gotu Kola, brain - 29 abstracts

Gotu Kola, cognitive - 8 abstracts

(#1: Protective antioxidant effect of Centella asiatica bioflavonoids on lead acetate induced neurotoxicity. )

========================

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=art799&search_in=articles

GOTU KOLA -- An Under-Appreciated Herb: Multifaceted Benefits on Microcirculation for Cardiovascular and Cognitive Health

- By Linda Fugate, PhD

The best nutrition in the world will not do anyone any good if it doesn't reach our tissues. The gatekeeper to tissues is the microcirculatory system, which includes blood vessels smaller than 0.1 mm in diameter. The health of the microcirculatory system is now recognized as critical to the total health of the individual. (1)

Gotu Kola's Effect on the Circulatory System . . .

From Wound Healing to Brain Health . . .

. . .

Gotu Kola's primary action is enhancement of the health of the circulatory system. Because circulation is critical to the health of the entire body, Gotu Kola offers benefits in a variety of conditions.

The antioxidant and collagen supportive functions of Gotu Kola are particularly important in enhancing healing of damaged tissues.

- Full article - and citations - at link above.

=========================

From "The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook" (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/gotu-kola-leaf-centella-asiatica.html

GOTU KOLA LEAF (Centella asiatica,)

WHAT IT DOES:

Gotu Kola is bitter and astringent in taste and cooling in action. It is a brain and memory tonic, and an anti-poison, and very useful for wound and skin healing.

. . .

TAM doctors use it as a brain and memory tonic, and have found it especially useful in children.

In Nepal, during the ceremony for the first day of spring, gotu kola leaf is given to schoolchildren to help them in their studies by improving memory and concentration.

It is very safe and extremely effective. TAM doctors also use it to cleanse the system of toxins and reduce inflammation. TCM doctors use gotu kola to clear up boils and toxic fevers. . .

The primary effects of gotu kola include both wound healing and improvement of mental clarity and emotional balance. . . .

Research Highlights

. . .

Numerous studies from around the world have demonstrated its efficacy in treating keloids, leg ulcers, phlebitis, slow-healing wounds, leprosy, surgical lesions, cellulitis, burns, dermatitis, venous disorders, and even cirrhosis of the liver (Maquart et al., 1999; Shukla et al., 1999; Hausen, 1993; Cesarone et al., 1992).

These studies illustrate the plant's numerous stimulating effects on the healing processes of the skin and connective tissue.

* The Indian Central Council for Research on Ayurveda and Siddha, citing more than ten pharmacological and animal studies of gotu kola, also found evidence of the following characteristics:

. . .

- Full chapter at link above.

==========================

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n27234590?tag=content;col1

Centella asiatica

Alternative Medicine Review, March, 2007

====================

When my local ND or store has been out of the regular, I have tried the Gotu Kola - Gingko combination but Gingko always makes me too hyper, wired, etc. . . . I suggest Gotu Kola alone or a part of a formula if a naturopathic doctor who knows your daughter recommends a blend.

The only capsules I use are from Eclectic Institute which has organically grown, freeze-dried Gotu Kola:

http://www.eclecticherb.com/

Eclectic Institute

==================

CURCUMIN might also be an excellent consideration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Curcumin - 3011 abstracts

Curcumin, inflammation - 282 abstracts

Curcumin, depression - 18 abstracts

Curcumin, adrenals - 6 abstracts

Curcumin, anxiety - 5 abstracts

Babesia, Curcumin - 5 abstracts

========================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

-

jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I have kind of a lot of experience with a/d's.

My older daughter, who does not have Lyme, and I (when I didn't know I had Lyme) took Lexapro. She took 20 mg and I took 10 - 15 mg. We were able to get off from it pretty easily when we started the gluten free diet. I got off from it very quickly because I felt giddy with the GF diet and the Lexapro. My daughter weaned off very slowly, probably over a year, much slower than most doctors recommend.

While weaning off, she would get withdrawal effects a few weeks after the dose change and they would last a few weeks to a month. We then waited a month or more before we lowered the dose again.

My daughter with Lyme tried almost all of the SSRI's and Anafranil, before we knew she had Lyme. We thought she had side effects to all of them. It is possible some of those side effects were really the Lyme coming out. She was able to tolerate Elavil before she tried the SSRI's.

More recently, she has been taking 2.5 mg of Lexapro. It does help her OCD but I am wondering if it is making her headache worse. I would like to wean her off but when she misses a dose, her OCD increases.

She also recently took Doxepin, a TCA like Elavil, and I think it increased her heart rate. She isn't taking it any more.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this, trout. Breaks my heart, actually.

Why not try a tricyclic? or Prozac?

I think even trying SAM-e first would be worth the effort.

Keep me posted, OK?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, Brother.

Happened to catch your post. My daughter (doesn't have lyme) but has depression. We have this amazing pyschiatrist who believes in medicine dosed to a patient's tolerance. In other words, he starts a patient on a lower dose and then monitors to see how it is affecting her. My daughter is on Zoloft and only half a pill. She is adopted and Asian, which means a lot. Asians, we learned lack a gene that helps them to metabolize SSRIs, so they are very affected by most. Zoloft has not caused her to spin out, have weird dreams, and it is a low dose. Got to try to find a shrink that deals with kids.....we found very important.
Di x

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had horrible reactions to several of the SSRI antidepressents.

Previous to lyme, I had taken a couple different SSRIs (albiet for only 3 months each time) without problems.

After I got lyme, holy smokes, I would get horrific headaches, wake up at night with horrible GI problems. we went back to the older class of antidepressents, and I take remeron now (its related to elavil, but with fewer side effects).

I have read on the LymeMD blog that many of his patients seemed to have a difficult time with the SSRIs.

Agree with ArtistDi, maybe really low doses might help. Pyshciatrist told me if I had to, I could start out just licking the pill for the first week!

A few antidepressents come in a liquid form, which is easier for low dosing. Sometimes the MDs don't know about the liquid forms, so you have to look around.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A homeopathic remedy I tried, pulsatilla 12X, cost of minimal bucks, got me high. I know we're all different when it comes to responses, but wanted to mention it.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

THank You....

Thank You....

Thank You>>>>> VERY MUCH!!!

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prozac really helped my sis (with lyme).

Serotonin helps boost GABA (important).

Brain foods (8 and why they are great):

http://www.beliefnet.com/Health/2009/05/Healthy-Foods-to-Feed-Your-Brain.aspx?p=2

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if your daughter is on any lyme treatments such as Antibiotics.

If she is maybe it is the type of abx that she is taking. It would be sad to add another medication on top of one that might be the culprit if you could just switch abx.

Just a guess if she is on one? If not.. Then.. all the above suggestions are good.. ones..

I agree to start low when it comes to children. Very low and slow and watch carefully. I have had to use these things on my special needs children many times and it can be touchy.. Also keep an open mind to switch meds if one is not working.

I found at times one did not work at all or ad adverse side affects and another trial of another kind worked wonders.

Also I read awhile back they are coming to the point where they can test the brain for exactly what chemical is lacking and instead of guessing and doing trail and error of medications they can tell by the test which med is best ..

Might want to ask around and see if these tests have come forward in time.. Years ago it was in the beginning stages etc..

So who knows..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement