LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenal Glands (MUST READ)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenal Glands (MUST READ)
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm beating a deadhorse here... but supplementing your adrenal glands, especially during treatment, is a MUST!!! (Most of you know this)

You will not recover without your adrenals on your side.

Here are some GREAT clips of Dr. Michael Borkin, NMD. He is a pioneer in hormone and electrolyte research. He specializes in hormone and electrolyte testing and balancing.

I can't help but notice that the symptoms that we associate with Borellia, or Babs, or Bart MIRROR those of fatigued adrenal glands.

The Basics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jd7xxkhd0c&feature=related

***How the Adrenals Respond To Treatment
(fast forward to 3:10 and you'll hear A LOT of symptoms you have/had)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdrMKMioUjM&feature=related

Digestive Problems - Hidden Cause of All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_A76mll-yI&feature=related

Supplementation is Easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HMiGo4Y2g0&feature=related

Cortisol is Low = Bright Light Hurts Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M5K0YF-oOU&feature=related

Parasites, bacterias, Viruses Inflame Intestines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-HDTPtsLus&feature=related

Liver Not Only Detox Organ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_e7NnyBJQ&feature=related

Malabsorption
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR9PFyNYu_o&feature=related

Microbial Infections on Adrenals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzDkSW-xWk&feature=related

Antibiotics are Aggressive Treatment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFJ9rLXI4Sg&feature=related

When you get some free time listen to what this man says about your adrenals. He spends hours and hours teaching students/doctors... because that's how important he knows the adrenals are.

Adrenal Support!!!

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Agreed.

Adrenal Support is vital. That's clearly pointed out in just about every lyme protocol - and for good reason. But many just zoom past it. Backing up and really being sure adrenal support is in place can make a world of difference.

Pushing too hard or taking things that offer a big "boost" of energy - rather than "support" - can be detrimental, too.

Adrenal exhaustion can also be at the root of depression. Supporting the adrenals can be a wonderful help to mood dysfunctions of all kinds.

For those new to lyme, the basics start with reading Burrascano's self-care suggestions in his guidelines and then the nutritional supplement suggestions

Also a good start is reading Singleton's book. He has a lot there to help us understand the hit the adrenals and the HPA has taken - and what can help:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

Four pages

====================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pushing too hard or taking things that offer a big "boost" of energy - rather than "support" - can be detrimental, too."

AMEN [Cool]

What were the differences between those supplements ? [shake]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting! I'm certainly going to work on my adrenals.

Thanks, Cane!

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cane, I'm thinking about buying those two creams you posted about yesterday. (if I can find someplace that sells them!)

Did you get any bloodwork or saliva testing before using those? What were the results?

I'm hoping it would be okay for me to add them without getting any tests for DHEA, etc.

I did the saliva cortisol testing, but it wasn't that messed up. It was a little low first thing in the morning, but it went high at noon, then dropped some the rest of the day.

However, I still think I should work on it, because I have a very messed up sleep schedule, and bad fatigue.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a cortisol saliva test.

My adrenals were shot.

Low cortisol levels (like most of you)

- When we first got hit with Lyme and felt sick there's a good chance we had high levels of cortisol (fight or flight mode)... but eventually as the disease takes a toll the adrenals get too fatigued and cortisol is very low.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is an excellent book:

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

Only $10.17 -- And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cane, wow, meaty work, thanks. I'll review this link more carefully tomorrow.

[Smile]

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnywv
Member # 23012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnywv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, I'm lazy tonight. what kind of supplement do we take for the adrenals?
Posts: 72 | From West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler -- I do have the Lyme Disease Solution book and I've been re-reading about the importance of adrenals!

i wish i would have started supporting my adrenals earlier...

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given ashwaganda for adrenal support. I'll have to get some more as I ran out and as you said, went on the supplement everything else.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

johnnywv - anything as long as adrenal is in the name. [Cool]
And of course here, the cheaper the better. [bonk]

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Massman and only at Wal-Mart in the clearance cart too,
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

neff,

ashwaganda is good... but even better in conjunction with other minerals/herbs/vitamins

pas
Member # 22416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IsoCort is a dessicated adrenal glandular made in New Zealand (very good quality control standards there - the cows are fed only organic food and never receive hormones, etc).

Apparently each pellet naturally contains at least 2.5mgs of actual cortisol...

The only thing is that it contains lactose and echinacea...careful if you're sensitive to either of these!

I take Nutricology adrenal glandulars in addition to Hydrocortisone. Also lots of B vits (esp. B5, B6, B12) and Vit C - the adrenals need these.

In fact, there have been documented cases of adrenal insufficiency actually caused by severe B vitamin deficiency. For those people, the problem was reversible with replacement therapy!!

Posts: 95 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Limeaid
Member # 22357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Limeaid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great information! I am definitely going to try some of this stuff. Thanks.
Posts: 84 | From Seattle, WA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trevor1
Member # 15489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trevor1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know i've been on and off heavy amounts of supplements over the past 4 years i've been sick. I have never really built up hope for any of them, or never really noticed any "significant" improvement from a supplement.

So recently, i've only been taking fish oil, D and b12. But after reading this thread I went over Burrascano's guidelines for supplements and i've taken almost everyone on there.

I am considering starting more back up, but the cost to benefit ratio has yet to seem worth it.

Has anyone seen actual success with the Researched Nutrionials products? and are they pretty pricey?

thanks,

Posts: 59 | From Arizona | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trevor1
Member # 15489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trevor1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 59 | From Arizona | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know some people do well on the NT Factor Energy or their D-Ribose. I personally know people that say these helped at least some.

Neither of those helped me, though. But, it's possible I didn't give the NT Factor Energy long enough.

I usually just stick to whatever supplements actually seem to help something, whether they are pricey or cheap. I do try a lot, but luckily some things do end up helping. I would say 90% of them don't, however.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3Ovw2CK0o&feature=fvw

This is a bit more informative as to what we can do to actually address the issue.

I don't personally care for that guy in all those vids cane, no offense, he's a bit arrogant for me and doesn't really go into what practically can be done (at least not that I saw)

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Ya, he's not really talking to much about what can be done (although he references supplements/vitamins vs synthetics)

He's just teaching med students what to look for as far as blood work goes. And how the body truly works.

massman
Unregistered

LOL as one of the docs at the youtube reference is a bud. Talked to him about 4 weeks ago. He is about 2000 miles away from MA.
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody read Dr. Brownstein's book, "Salt Your Way to Health"? In it he says you need unrefined salt for adrenal fatigue. He lists other sups, too, but says how important unrefined salt is to reverse the situation.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

j_liz

Ya I've read that a lot. I put sea salt on everything.

I get my iodine from the kelp that is in my supplements.

massman
Unregistered

So will any of these supps rebuild the adrenals so you wont have to take supps for them forever [confused]
canefan17
Member # 22149

mass,

The idea behind supporting them is that they will rebuild on there own.

Obviously this is going to take some time.

I'm retesting my adrenals/thyroid in about 3 months.

She told me that we'll be able to gauge how far along I'm moving.

But it can take awhile to rebuild something that has been DESTROYED for so long.

The benefits though are that you can avoid the complications that come with taking synthetics (and there are quite a bit)

massman
Unregistered

"they will rebuild on there own." If supported correctly.

Products from glandulars (esp. if whole gland) will not rebuild. They need a blueprint plus the right parts available to rebuild.

How + why is this doc a pioneer ? Others, to my knowledge, have been working in this area for over 80 years.

canefan17
Member # 22149

She's not a pioneer.

She simply does the OBVIOUS things.
(something this country's medical community has lost complete sight of)

Hmmmm... I could

A) use supplements, diet, exercise, sleep to support my adrenal glands in an effort to have them rebuild (get back to functioning properly)

B) use man-made cortisone and DO IT for my adrenal glands (rendering them useless)

C) use porcine glandulars not knowing anything about the authenticity of the product or the negative effects that may come up (example: armour OUT OF PRODUCTS)

I think you see the obvious answer.

And how do I know choice A works... because I'm walking proof.

In just 1 months time I've done a complete 180 in terms of sleep patterns, energy levels, mood, etc.

I was an insomniac for 8+ years (I've tried every remedy in the book. Everyone)

Nothing worked. Why? You can't fight your adrenals. Take all the sleep meds you want for as long as you want... if your adrenals are shot.. it's irrelevant.

I have a long ways to go.... but I'm on the right path. The natural way.

-To each his own though-

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if sups represent the right parts, where does the blueprint come from or vice versa? I am waiting on some books and trying to get a good grasp on this because apparently my adrenals have been failing for up to a few years maybe longer. I ignored most of the physical stuff and the mental stuff hit me like a ton of bricks followed by being put in the hospital for a week with salt levels that won't stay put and severe vomiting and mini seizures while sleeping. I am on hyrdocortisone right now because I need to be, not willing to die until i fully understand someway that I can really rebuild these.

It'll be nice to see my new LLMD, but there is no sure bet that he will have a lot of knowledge on this so I am trying to research on my own. I am looking into sups that others have recommended and am on the typical vitains and fish oil yadda yadda.

I am very depressed and have transient anxiety mostly at night which is apparently common to my adrenal condition. I know both of these are not me and are caused by the illness...I guess I'm just trying to figue it out haha.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

elley,

First thing you can do is a saliva cortisol test.

It will give you a good indication of your adrenal work in a normal day.

But I recommend finding a naturalist who knows what they are doing.

massman
Unregistered

elley - most supps cannot provide correct parts as most supps are chemical fractions of vitamins.

Fraction = not all the parts are there.
Building parts come from.....(drum rolll please)actual FOOD.

Good blueprints are essentially RNA / DNA factors, not the whole glandulars. "New Dimensions in Herbal Healing" is a book you may want to check out. Author is Jack Tips PhD, ND.

I am realizing here that many do not read actual books and get somewhat annoyed when I suggest taking the time to invest in one's health that way.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Yes, adjusting diet is very important to adrenal support.

Learn about real salt too.

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will add it to my list. I'd spend all my time reading books if I were allowed.

Also-food is my number one medicine and has been for a while. I am always trying to tweak it as best I can.

I read Cures They Don't Want You to Know About book about 4 years ago-and while the Kevin guy who wrote it sits wrong with me in a preachy sort of way, I agreed with a lot of it and have been practicing those diet suggestions in increasing numbers.

I have alot of things on my list of food changes to make and have no doubt they will help. They tend to go against some commonly thought of "good food practices" but from what books I have read and also Mercola I feel a good amount is common sense.

In the meantime I take tons of green superfoods and my b vitamins and mutlivitamins are all food based. I have noticed improvement since taking them.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

on salt-I have used nothing but celtic unrefined sea salt for about 3 years.
pas
Member # 22416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to reiterate the fact that there is a difference between adrenal fatigue and frank Addison's disease.

Elley, you may have done this already, but I would strongly suggest joining an Addison's support group. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like...

Leigh

Posts: 95 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

I will. This is full fledged Addison's according to my docs.
Nancy2
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is better.........saliva test or blood test for cortisol levels?
Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

saliva for sure
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 24-hr urine test is a lot easier for collection purposes, but some swear by the saliva. I've had docs tell me different things.

Blood serum test will only give you a narrow view of the larger picture (but is a cheap test if you have to run yourself).

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the best lab and are there some that do testing without doctors lab slip?
Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just purchased Support Adrenals from BioMatrix.

http://www.naturalhealthyconcepts.com/support-adrenals-p-biomatrix.html

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy, I like http://www.directlabs.com/ (no MD's requisition required)

They use LapCorp for general tests and specialty labs for more complex testing...

Directlabs offers adrenal saliva tests through NeuroScience, Metametrix, and Sabre Science (possibly others)...

One of the best labs for adrenal saliva is Genova.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Member # 95

Great........thanks so much for the information. I have a friend that also has Lyme, and this might be just "what the doctor ordered"!

Nancy

pas
Member # 22416

There is also www.MyMedLab.com - I haven't used it personally but know others that have. From what I understand, once you sign up you can order your own tests through LabCorp.

Saliva is good b/c it measures the "free" instead of "total" cortisol. But there is also the option of having "free" cortisol measured in blood, which is equally accurate. This can be done through any major lab.

Total cortisol is dependent on lots of other things, including binding globulins and other hormones - this is why "free" is better.

If you really suspect a major problem with pituitary/adrenals, the only gold standard is the ACTH stimulation test.

This is not usually performed at a lab, though, and most docs won't order it unless there is hard evidence of low cortisol to begin with.

Always measure cortisol in the morning (or multiple times/day if possible).

Nancy2
Member # 95

Thank you again! Lot of helpful information!
It is appreciated!

Nancy

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Yes, the ACTH stim test is the second one I got done and my cortisol failed to raise even slightly.

I will be getting another cortisol test meauring throughout the day, but my test that was done fasting and in the AM was also way too low and my ACTH was through the roof.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Who here has gotten their DHEA tested?

I would like to know if mine is low or not, because I would like to try supplementing with it.

Wondering what lab I should get tested through, etc.

I've done the cortisol testing, but didn't do any testing of DHEA.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished reading THE POTBELLY SYNDROME, and the authors blame too much cortisol from infections as causing weight gain around the middle and lowered immunity. It gives an alternate viewpoint.

From personal experience on Isocort, I've gained weight, but it did give me extra energy. I've had to wean from it, however, because it makes me too nervous, jittery, etc.

I started Isocort when I had a bad cold. My cold lasted 3 long weeks. I ased my LLMD about it, and she said is should have helped it. I think the Isocort prolonged it, but I did have energy to go to work.

I think there is a fine line we are walking here. Maybe, our adrenals need a little help, but too much cortisol can be very counterproductive.

I would hope your MD would not follow a pat formula, but gauge your dosage to your body, maybe starting slow and seeing how much your body really needs.

IMO,
CherylSue

P.S. Isocort is from New Zealand sheep glands, not cows.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosier, I had my DHEA checked and it was low, so LLMD has me on sups. It was done with a simple blood test for hormones. I will be getting it again soon.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pas
Member # 22416

Hoosier,

I've had my DHEA-S checked a couple of times through normal labs (LabCorp, Quest) and it was undetectable. This is to be expected with Addison's. (also testosterone and progesterone are low, since those are made in the adrenals too).

Make sure to test your DHEA-S level prior to supplementing, so that you have a baseline and don't over-replace (which can be dangerous).

Leigh

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thanks! I'll ask my doctor to test me.

If I don't have full-on Addison's, would the Labcorp or Quest tests show abnormal?

Or should I go with an alternative lab?

Though I will probably take the Labcorp test first, but wondering if it comes back normal, if anything else is more sensitive.

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

We used Labcorp and my test showed it was just low. I don't have Addison's, so I would say, yes, if it is just low it will still show it.

I imagine Quest would, too.

liz

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

By low, do you mean out of range?

Thank you!

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Yes.
pas
Member # 22416

A regular lab should show it regardless of whether you have Addison's, and your doc can help interpret whether it's optimal for you. Just make sure it's DHEA-S and not just DHEA.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Okay, thanks. Will do.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement