LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Galaxy Labs - Bart Update

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Galaxy Labs - Bart Update
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby just got off the phone with Amanda who is currently in charge of the new lab located in Raleigh, NC. This is the lab which will use the new culture medium for Bartonella testing in humans.

http://www.galaxydx.com

The exciting news is that the lab is in the final stages of getting certification and should be up and running in 3 months or so.

Interested persons can get on the email list for the lab at their website. The official opening of the lab will be announced on the website before a public announcement is made. They are no longer doing any research testing at this time.

Hubby and I are both accountants by trade and have no scientific training -- but this is what we were told by the lab. Real time PCR testing for bart (as is being done by the F lab and Clongen Lab) has a high rate of false negative test results. We were told that those type of tests yield about a 6% positive result. It is my understanding that you would need to do about 20 real-time PCR tests to rule out a false negative test.

Supposedly because of the use of the culture medium (patented by the North Carolina College of Veterinary Medicine or some of the docs there) the lab results will be 50 to 80 times more sensitive than real-time PCR testing alone.

Click on the "Technology" link at the site above for the detailed explanation.

Dr Breitschwerdt has published 2 or 3 journal articles so far based on research using this new culture medium.

Here is a link to one of his journal articles -- link previously supplied by Kitty.

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/12/2080.htm

The journal article makes for scarey reading, but I fully believe that bart can be as devastating as the author outlines.

One other point -- Amanda did mention that sometimes other things grow out in this culture besides bartonella and one thing she mentioned in particular was mycoplasma.

From hubby's standpoint I think this new testing is probably one of the most significant things that has happened in several years. We will be on pins and needles waiting for the lab to go public.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for relaying this info. Looking forward
to use their new test.

I found the sign up for email in the "contact" section, in case anyone else is looking.
Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

Thank you for the update. Amanda was the person that I spoke to in early Fall as well.

I agree, this is a huge, huge, step forward...very significant. I don't know why when Kitty or myself have posted on this it has generated very little interest.

This will be big people...the test is not fool-proof but it is 1,0000's of times better than anything currently available.

Thanks again,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting! So does this mean they can use this test to test for Bart and Myco?
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joysie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joysie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump
Posts: 520 | From Maryland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it is ready to roll, I bet there will be a lot of interest. Until then, people are probably just sitting on the sidelines, a bit burned out on the accuracy of any lab testing. Don't want to get their hopes up just yet.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Lou.

Also, how will this change treatment options?

Will they identify the pathogen and then have a reasonable idea of how to eradicate it? Or is it just for identifying species?

Thanks Bea

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some background about BPAGM (Bartonella alpha-Proteobacteria growth medium)

http://tinyurl.com/yfj2ap6

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about the NC State Lab that you can send your blood to? The one who is/was testing animals for bartonella?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galaxy is a spinout of NC State. All testing will now be through Galaxy.
They have already started animal testing @ Galaxy.
Now we just wait for then to begin human testing.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sutherngrl -- Pretty sure they will offer tests for both bartonella and mycoplasma.

djf2005 -- Initially think only diagnosis will be available, but think future plans are to develop antibiotic sensitivity testing. But as Amanda told hubby, many people who do not test positive by antibody tests will test positive by their methods.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea-

Sounds like a good plan. I would very much like to know more definitively what plaques me and be able to have more strategic treatment approach.

Please update any/all who get tested.

Thanks

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got off the phone with my daughter's LLMD. He is ordering this test for her. The paperwork I have says it is for "research purposes only".

The website doesn't seem to be updated but apparently, they are doing some human testing now.

They are testing 3 blood samples taken 2 or 3 days apart for her.

His hope is that this will give us a clear direction in her treatment.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much money is the test?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

jkmom,

Yes the lab is still working with some docs for research I think. But it is still not accepting samples from the general public as far as I know.

The other doc who works with hubby's LLMD was one of the docs involved in the initial research phase, but hubby's doc still can't send samples to the lab.

I also read recently that the lab prefers people be off bart antibiotics for 3 or 4 weeks before testing if possible.

After 2 plus years of treating bart hubby is really getting impatient to have this testing done.

Bea Seibert

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea,

Will this testing be able to identify the strain of bart involved? I wonder if this will have any impact on "BLO"?

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting Bea. This is very exciting. We will definitely use it when it becomes available.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI....I pleaded with the NC State Vet Lab n Dec for them to test my blood for bartonella spp. They did...for free, with the caveat that it was for research only and that I needed to be off abx for 3-4 weeks.

My tests -- antibodies and DNA for bartonella spp -- were negative. I was pretty surprised. Is this what Galaxy will be offering?

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement