LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MRS as opposed to MRI or SPECT? BEING USED AT NYU

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MRS as opposed to MRI or SPECT? BEING USED AT NYU
Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy: This technique uses radio waves that are emitted almost continuously rather than in pulses as in conventional MRI. Magnetic resonance spectroscopy is used to detect brain disorders, such as seizure disorders, Alzheimer's disease, and brain tumors and abscesses. It can distinguish between the dead debris inside an abscess and multiplying cells inside a tumor. This technique is also used to evaluate metabolic disorders in muscles and the nervous system.

While on this anyone ever had a CT angiogram? Finding autonomic system can be vasculature in nature?

There are about 400 metabolic disorders...wonder how many lyme related? Look under L....List of ICD-9 codes for an example...click on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Metabolic_disorders

[ 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Raymond ]

--------------------
Raymond
Leave the gun, take the cannolis

Posts: 214 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raymond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blows my mind these things are out there are they collecting dust from our perspective....I guess the question is should they?

Those metabolic disorders can be viral related also.

I do think there are many answers to our questions.....or help but need a doc that is willing to run the show so we don't have to search. I am seeing a doctor whom seems he wants an answer for my wierd symptoms....I will ask him about this MRS when I think it time. He is a neuro with degree in biochemistry.

Do not know about these doctor on this posting but talks of MRS.....

http://lymedisease.med.nyu.edu/current-research/our-researchers-/odel-gonen-interview

http://lymedisease.med.nyu.edu/current-research/our-researchers

If this violates the doctor postings delete it...if it disturbs some

[ 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Raymond ]

--------------------
Raymond

Posts: 214 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Raymond,

I have had a CAT angiogram....just remembered. I had it last year. It was of my brain and vascular system was said to be normal....

The neuro told me that in her opinion this is a much better test than a MRA....other docotrs opinions have differed.

The CAT angiogram is done with a contrasting agent onboard...just so you are aware of that.

Thanks for posting the above info!

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

feelfit so it was a whole body ct scan?

--------------------
Raymond

feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, just brain.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

Thank you my Dear

--------------------
Raymond

Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

has anyone bothered to read the criteria for eligibilty for clinical trials for these tests....

Wonder if Doc Y is for real or just a two bit carny......should be reported. sad joke

CDC ---Positive to qualify he should be ashamed for treating!

--------------------
Raymond

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raymond,

Hubby had his own personal issues with Dr Y. But aside from that I have been communicating with a 16 year old patient who went to see him. Sadly he did not test for coinfections -- told the family it was unlikely. So far she has tested positive for WA-1 babesia with another doc and is waiting for additional tests. She had a routine SPECT which was abnormal -- but NYU does not list Lyme as one of the possible reasons for the hypoperfusion as would have been done at Columbia -- just said infection.

The family thought that since Dr Y chairs with Dr B for the NY support group he would have similar treatment philosphies -- not true. Unless something has changed it is my understanding that the only treatment Dr Y believes in is IV IgG once you have gotten your initial 30 days or so of antibiotics.

As to requiring a CDC positive Lyme test for the clinical trials -- unfortunately that is the only way to win over the IDSA types -- Fallon also had similar criteria for his long-term antibiotic study funded by the NIH.

Personally I think an MRS test might be helpful. I think it would be very interesting for a qualified group such as Columbia to do SPECT scans and MRS scans and compare the results.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13980

Bea,

Thanks....this new tech should be used but upon reading more about the MRS I found that in most cases it is investigational....as another thing I think we can benefit from HBOT.

That being said there was a woman down in FLA who had HBOT for MS and it reveresed her MS....she had to sue her insurance company and won and it was determined that not only did the insurance company have to pay for past treatments but fututre ones.

The philosophy evens varies within itself...what did Lincoln say a house divided can not stand...hmmmppp

[ 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Raymond ]

--------------------
Raymond

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement