LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone ever had near syncope with Bicillin LA shots?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever had near syncope with Bicillin LA shots?
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a little over two months in on IM Bicillin shots (1.2ml in each side once a week).

Usually I feel a little funky the day after the shot. Sometimes I feel fine. Most days I have good energy.

The day after my last shot I was at the grocery store and nearly fainted. I ate some lunch in the sun, went to the bathroom and grabbed a cart, but suddenly everything started to fade and I felt like I was going to black out. Felt like I had trouble breathing. I calmed myself and went to my car. Came out of it fairly quickly but I was nervous.

Drove home a few blocks and took my BP. It was elevated at 150/94 but I was nervous. I felt fine after that but have been looking up adverse reactions to Bicillin and noticed that there was a large percentage that reported syncope.

I am wondering if this is a herx or if it is the meds. As I said, I feel fairly good most days on this med.

Anyone ever have near syncope with Bicillin?

Thanks for any feedback!

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the only tim ei almost faint is when it gets injected after that it seems ok.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a horrible episode when doing 2 shots per week for about a month.

I woke up and couldn't walk because everything was spinning. Literally I would fall to the side like I had weights on me, OMG it was scary.

Most would call this vertigo, but I have had vertigo and this was different, very bad like vertigo (vertigo is usually from the inner ear) but I could seriously tell it was straight from my brain and it was SCARY!

I cut back on the shots to one per week and did ok after that.

How many shots are you doing per week? If more than one, ask to start w/only one per week. Bicillin can really help, even when I did only shot per week.

Make sure to let your LLMd know what happened.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have a strange kind of vertigo. When I turn my head a certain way, things start to spin and I get very dizzy. It is different from regular vertigo, I think. It will be interesting to see if it stops when the Bicillin shots stop.

BTW, in stores I always grab a cart to hold on to. Or I ride in one. It comes in handy with dizzy spells.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

This was not vertigo though. Everything in my vision field started to brown out as though I was going to faint. Not even dizzy, just fading out. I felt short of breath, then talked myself out of it. I was very pale. I think it was a vasovagal reaction. I had been eating in the sun beforehand and came out of the bathroom and then went shopping but never made it very far into the store. Scary since I feel reasonably well.

Most of my symptoms now seem to be a series of scary spells. Nothing that lingers, but spells out of the blue.

I hate to cut down on the shots but will see what my LLMD says.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I got my first shot, I got it standing up at the doctor's. (since this episode, I do all of them laying down)

We were only about 30 seconds or a minute into the shot, and I started to feel weak. It happened so quickly, it is hard to remember. All I remember is thinking, "I'm going down." I could just tell if this kept up, I was about to hit the floor.

First I said, "How much longer?" because I was hoping I would make it, and they were like, "a long time."

Then (and I am not one of those people that makes things dramatic) I started whimpering like a little baby, uncontrollably, because I was trying really hard to stay upright but I was starting to "loose it" and get really weak.

Then I said, "I don't feel so good....I'm gonna pass out." And I don't remember it very well, but I think they pulled the needle out really fast and I kind of collapsed, but I think they caught me. Apparently my face lost all color.

Then I just remember they shouted for the PA and she came running, and they laid me down.

They said it was a vasovagal reaction that some people get. They said it was from having a needle that big so deep in the muscle, which makes the body freak out, and that once your body gets used to having the needle in there, it usually won't happen again.

What is strange is that I wasn't feeling faint because I actually "felt" scared, it was like something uncontrollable came over my body.

But this wasn't just feeling like I was going to faint and then pushing through, I basically did faint. It sounds like merrygirl has had this too to an extent, but it sounds like she was able to push through it better.

Me whimpering is probably like you getting short of breath, Myco. Because that is kind of what it was like. I think I was breathing fast.

And you also got the pale face like me, so it sounds similar. But whatever triggered it must have been different.

It's strange that yours happened the next day though.

My guess is that it will probably be a one time occurance. It might just be from pushing your body too hard or something.

I know that if I do too much at once, really fast (like go go go), I will vomit, sometimes really violently. It is just a feeling that comes over me. I think it's a combo of too many meds with too much activity.

So I bet if you just take it easy, you'll reduce the chances of it happening again. Did you take a bunch of pills before going out?

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, do you do the shot laying down? You probably should. And maybe rest a little afterwards to let your body reset.
Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

I know vasovagal reaction is common during shot, but mine happened the following day.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Yes, I saw that. You asked if anyone got the syncope reaction with Bicillin, so I assumed you wanted to hear from anyone who got it from Bicillin at all. My apologies if I misunderstood the question.

You may still want to be careful with how you do the shot (lay down, rest, etc) because if the shot itself goes more smoothly, you may be less likely to react later as well.

Like in my example with vomiting, sometimes if I don't rest after taking my pills, I will vomit later on.

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Thanks Hoosiers.
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it a side effect , most prominent if injected into blood vessel. I had similar reaction a couple of times ( and I always aspirate) -dizziness, blurry vision, weakness. I take shot before going to bed so it doesnt make much difference
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement