LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » trigeminal neuralgia relief?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: trigeminal neuralgia relief?
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have suggestions on relief from this?

It is excruciating.

Looking for any ideas at all - from simple to not-so-simple... just need relief.

This is my one remaining symptom, and I am desperate for help.

Thanks.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiropractor that specializes in Upper Cervical technique. Read "What Time Tuesday?"

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
In addition to that or finding someone trained in cranial-sacral as in the UPLEDGER INSTITUTE's method (through Google) . . .

Corydalis is a herb that really helps decrease my nerve pain. Magnesium, curcumin and fish oil help but the corydalis helps lifts the pain better at night to help me sleep better.

For night-time use, corydalis is in HerbSom from www.hepapro.com

There are some other sources of it without the sleep formula - I've just never used it during the day. I would try 1stChineseHerbs or Kaylx.com

PubMed has many medical abstracts on the value of Corydalis to decrease pain and it's not harmful to the liver as Tylenol is or to the kidneys as Ibuprofen can be.

I wonder if a light wand would help - either over the area or as the base connector points of the nerves.

Oh . . . I just remembered about a medical mushroom that has been written as helping the nerves integrity of "MS" patients - even to help some nerve tissue heal.

Lion's Mane (scientific name starts with an "H" )

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to you both.

IckyTicky (have always loved your name), I am looking into the book now - and happy to hear that the author found help.

Keebler, I will check out both of your sources for corydalis. Bonus that is not harmful to the liver or kidneys - makes it all the more appealing.

Do you have any thoughts on which type of light wand to order?

Thanks again.

--------------------

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

LIGHTWORKS, I think . . . is the name of the wand that Carol in PA has used. Sparkle, too, has used this.

You can send her a PM: Carol in PA Member # 5338

You can search for Lightworks - or for a member here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Thanks, Keebler.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cortef .. low dose

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm-i didn't realize cortef might help this

neurontin really helps me-but mine is mild and intermitten

also-this last time i was eating bad and not sleeping when it came on. when i started doing things right again it seemed to make a difference.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out it was helping when I tried to get off it... WHAM.. bigtime nerve pain in my head and the Raynaud's problem went nuts.

Back to the cortef .. no problems. ( exept mild occasional problems )

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Hmmmm... I take low dose cortef - I wonder if adjusting the dose would help?

Or if I need to do a stress dose during these episodes?

Thanks for all the ideas, and I'm always up for more thoughts on this!

--------------------

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for info lymetoo---now if i can just keep it in my brain for when i need it

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I hear ya, kayak!

cactus.. How much do you take now?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cactus
Member # 7347

I take 15 mg in the am, and 5 mg with lunch. For Addison's Disease (one of my Lyme souvenirs).

Also - small dose of florinef (also for Addison's) and levothyroid in am (for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, yet another gift from the tick).

I never knew that there could be a connection here, so this really helps.

--------------------

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cactus,

the only thing that helps when I have a TN attack is a heat pack applied directly over that side of my face.

I use a pack I bought at the store - I think it's filled with rice or something like that.

Sometimes I have to apply it several times, but it works for me.

Good luck!

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What worked for me was Benadryl. Cranial sacral therapy did not help me. Neither did neurontin.

It is excruciating and unbearable, that's for sure.

Hope you find something to help.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is awful and I am getting a lot of this past month - I think cold weather also makes it worse.

Heat really helps me - either a heat pack or hot air blowing on my face. That's how I drive - with the windows open and the heat on full blast aimed at my face.

I find that prescription strength Advil takes the edge off the pain.

And rubbing some Vicks Vapo-Rub on my face seems to help. My eye burns a little with this but it is temporary.

I have heard some people use Capsacin for this but I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck finding relief - it is one of the worst symptoms!

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Trigeminal Neuralgia was my very first symptom in 2004. It's god awful, so I sympathize.

I tried everything including some of the meds mentioned here. Nothing worked except low dose Lamictal. It sent the nerve pain back to the brain. It worked wonders.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessica
Member # 23405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may try acupuncture. There are points that would help. I know that my mentor treats trigeminal neuralgia.

I am an acupuncture intern and acupuncture helps me with detox, headaches, and stomach pain.

Posts: 19 | From Rockville, MD | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement