LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gluten-free troubles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gluten-free troubles
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has recently gone gluten free.

She had a great reaction to going off gluten, but then she started to slip. I think the gluten-free flour mixes and breads are clogging her system. She hasn't, ahem, "gone" in a few days.

We are currently using mixes that feature a lot of soy flour, rice flour, tapioca, xantham gum and the like. They all sound like sticky substances to me.

Any suggestions for lighter flours? I am willing to order them or make them myself.

Thanks! She will appreciate it : ) ( I will too!!)

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been gluten free for several years now.

There are gluten-free flours that are more "whole grain" than what you are using, but it seems to me first of all that she needs to increase her intake of whole foods, potatoes, fresh vegetables and fruit to get more of that kind of fiber. Also beans, lentils are very good for fiber and nutrients.

I eat flour products only occasionally. I like a whole-grain bread mix made by Bob's Red Mill--it makes a dark loaf and is great for sandwiches:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf-hearty-whole-grain-bread.html

Otherwise if I am baking something I use sorghum flour. This is a whole grain flour. You can also get this from Bob's Red Mill (available at many grocery stores) or you can order it from Twin Valley Mills if you want it in quantity:
http://www.twinvalleymills.com/
This stores well in the freezer.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mazou -

Gluten might not be the only nemesis here. Soy could also be a sensitivity problem for your daughter and any kind of "gum" I view with suspicion. Gluten free is real tough...

The rice items are probably okay, if they don't have "hidden" substances in them. If she can eat potatoes, you can make all sorts of things with them.

Does she have Lyme or other TBI's? If she doesn't or is not in treatment at this time, you might want to explore the Allergie-Immun thread here in Med. Questions section. This might greatly help her food sensitivities.

Best to you both!

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Going lighter might work if you call the mfg of the products you've been making and ask if you can double the ingredients that make it rise, or somehow altering the recipe. But, yes, those flours, especially soy and rice flours are so sticky fine they turn to concrete.

I have decided to go rougher, rather than refined.

You daughter might try some flax seed meal in a large glass of water - a few times a day to help move things along - and more roughage/fiber/bulk in her diet like celery, etc. More water, too.

I am expecting my first batch of the sprouted bread below by Friday, this week. I'll let you know how it is.

The problems I find with most gluten free breads/mixes is that they are still very high on the glycemic index and the flours used are too fine. It needs to be ROUGHER for best colon health and for the best glycemic index.

I will post a review soon.

I've been GF for nearly 20 years and only recently have really wanted some sort of bread for the texture and other culinary enjoyments. I've tried Ezekial bread a few times, but it is not really gluten-free, sadly.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they make a brown rice bread that is GF and good (still pretty dense).

You might call any specialty bakeries around you or check out the ingredients for BOB's RED MILL and also for PAMELA's gluten free bread mixes, too. (Although, my guess is you are already using one or both of those.)

I studied their ingredients before deciding on this one. It's just too bad it has to be delivered and the cost is high. But it's no higher than some protein powders and, hopefully, will be better.

No added sugars, no soy, no corn, no dairy . . . high protein and low carb . . . .

I can see this enjoyed in many ways . . . with garlic/olive oil, etc.

=========

http://julianbakery.com/glutenfree_bread.html

More details and video at the link above.

Purity Bread (Gluten Free Bread) - Ingredients:

Fresh Ground Whole Grains of:

*Buckwheat, *Millet, *Brown Rice, * Teff, Fresh Ground Flaxseed,

(Sprouted 13 Whole Bean Mix of:

Navy, Black, Red, Pinto, Baby Limas, Large Limas, Garbanzo, Great Northern, Kidney, Blackeyed, Yellow & Green Split Peas & lentils),

Onion, Guar Gum & Sea Salt.

Key: *Organically Grown

Gluten Free, Yeast Free, Wheat Free, Sweet Free & Dairy free
-

[ 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie
Member # 23294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me going gluten-free was not enough. I had to cut out soy and corn, too.
Posts: 88 | From Toronto | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mazou:
My daughter has recently gone gluten free.

She had a great reaction to going off gluten, but then she started to slip. I think the gluten-free flour mixes and breads are clogging her system. She hasn't, ahem, "gone" in a few days.

We are currently using mixes that feature a lot of soy flour, rice flour, tapioca, xantham gum and the like. They all sound like sticky substances to me.

Any suggestions for lighter flours? I am willing to order them or make them myself.

Thanks! She will appreciate it : ) ( I will too!!)

This website if full of helpful information for those who are gluten intolerant.

http://www.celiac.com/

I've really benefitted from going here and have learned so much.

Also, there's a gluten free mall "store" with ratings and comments from users regarding the various flours, etc here:

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/

I think you'll find this very helpful for your daughter.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gluten/wheat/dairy free

This ^^^ has saved me.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mazou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all are too much! Thank you for your help.

Sillia, sorghum sounds just great. I was hoping to find a whole grain flour for her. Thanks. She has been recently eating more whole foods, e.g., protein and vegetables and fruit for dinner. I think I was leaning on the junky foods to get us through the transition... so that she would actually eat.

ping, soy is really hard on my system, so I will taper it off for her. Thanks for the info about the alergie-immun thread. I will check it out.

Keebler, thanks for the ideas. I agree completely that these flours are just too fine! And so many goodies use corn starch and other really fine powders. It just does not MOVE. Keep me posted on the sprouted bread.

Zombie, really? Oy. Has it benefitted you?

Thanks, gwb, those are great suggestions!

canefan, how has it saved you? And did you have ups and downs similar to my daughter? Her turnaround was AMAZING. She was spelling words out, acting out little scenes, bright as the sun, whereas a few days before while "detoxing" from the g/c, she was a nutcase. Now, unfortunately, she's a bit of a nutcase again! I am keeping it up in hopes that just a few more things need to be addressed.

Thanks everyone!!

Posts: 636 | From Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great GF/CF/SF/EF recipes here:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Desserts with sorghum, buckwheat & millet-all high fiber/protein...Great soups & entrees too. I have made the sandwich bread & the focaccia flatbread (without the tomatoes this time of year). Both are delish & freeze well.

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

So fantastic. Thanks susie.
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got tired of the gluten free breads and wanted something more like a traditional whole grain. Montina is a rice grass that has a lot of protein in it. Montina is also the name of the company. They have a great all purpose baking mix and we use a recipe we found on their website.

We make up batches of the dry ingredients and can put together the wet and dry ingredients into the bread maker in about 5 minutes. Two hours later, fresh bread!

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the best gluten free bread I've eaten is made by a company called Udi's. They also make delicious cinnamon rolls and muffins too!

They taste just like real bread products and even my wife who is not gluten intolerant loves it.

Here's the link http://www.udisglutenfree.com/

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie
Member # 23294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think about it, humans did not evolve eating grains (or legumes, for that matter). Wheat was only cultivated & eaten in the past 10,000 years.

For some of us, corn and soy are even more recently introduced... My ancestors never ate corn until approx. 500 years ago (when it was brought to Britain from N. America).

No wonder some have a hard time with these!

Posts: 88 | From Toronto | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you have yeast, you dont want udi's...i call inquiring bout my concern with candida,

they told me that they made there bread with yeast

http://www.udisglutenfree.com/

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

street, good investigating. I was not aware of that until you pointed it out. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Gary

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten free products also contain a lot of sugar... so be careful there too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the great info. Saving this thread. I just converted to Gluten Free
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Quinoa. As a grain, in crackers, etc. It's got a great nutritional make-up.

See the site for Mary's Gone Crackers.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Parisa, that's fabulous information. I had no idea you could use a bread maker to make gf bread.

gwb (Gary), I'll look for UDIs. Thanks! And I just found "smart treat" bread for my daughter. They make an amazing sandwich bread! I found the oat bread too crumbly, though, which I guess is one of the hazards of gf baked goods.

zombie, I totally agree. I remember getting really intrigued with the blood-type diet for that reason. I am mostly Irish in origin, and my blood is just not built for this stuff.

Thanks, street129.

Lymetoo, I have noticed this! I remember years ago with the low-fat craze, every low-fat snack was full of sugar. It seems that some of the gf products are taking the same approach. Some of the substitutes are pretty junk foody.

dmc, that's awesome! How is it going so far? I lost the circles under my eyes after about 3 days, which was a great bonus. Have you noticed any changes yet?

Keebler, I love quinoa. And I used to get that quinoa pasta. I forgot about that. I'll try some on my daughter this week.

Thank everyone!

Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mazou,

We have a Zojirushi and it has a special gluten free setting (only one kneading). When I was researching good breadmakers for gluten free the Zojirushi came up frequently as a good breadmaker. I'm sure there are other good ones also.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of these low-carb (ie candida-'safer') recipes are also gluten-free by default:
http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A friend just brought this to me from the market: Quinoa, lemon juice, edamame and chives, olive oil, sea salt. Wonderful.

The nice fresh green edamame (soy beans) and chives looked beautiful, too. You can buy edamame frozen and just steam at the end of cooking the quinoa.
-

mati
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went gluten free a few months ago and ended a lifetime of constipation, having perfect bm's now, even though I eat the gluten free breads, but gave up dairy products at the same time. Dairy products always gave ne spots so I know they were a problem. I would try to pinpoint another allergen
Posts: 148 | From europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edamame is soy...so it hard to know if its the genetically modified ones we are buying, depending on the source.

Some say no GMO on the label. Dont know if we can just trust if its says organic? Labeling can also be deceiving.

The GM foods are the culprets for us!

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to check out
www.westonaprice.org

Weston A. Price was a dentist that traveled the world + studied native cultures that ate as their ancestors did.

Gary may have some good info / suggestions about the Price stuff.

Last but not least, carbs are NOT essential nutrients. Essential means you have to have them to live. There are essential amino acids (proteins), essential fatty acids (fats) but no essential carbs. [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try almond flour.

I have been trying to eat low carb and avoid grains, along with sugar and processed foods, for over a year now.

I am not doing so well in practical terms at the moment, but I have studied a lot about it, and learned a few things.

My original motivation was to fight insulin resistance, stabilize my blood sugar, fix my metabolism so I would lose weight, and reduce my overall level of inflammation, which has worked.

The theory is that our bodies do best with foods that hunter-gatherers could have evolved eating.

When we eat refined sugar and flour, grains, and high sugar fruit, we get inflammation and its diseases including diabetes, heart problems and cancer.

I am sure Lyme and candida belong on that list. Inflammation only causes a few of the diseases, but makes the other ones much worse.

This has been observed in many cultures, where the traditional food was healthy, but as soon as the people started eating sugar and flour, they developed diseases that did not exist there before.

Gary Taubes' book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" explains the science of it, but that is not a book for someone with Lyme brain--small print and dense with science.

We need a good amount of protein and a good balance of fats. We can burn fats for energy, and make glucose when we need some (the brain only burns glucose), so you could actually live on all meat, as Inuit used to do.

Some experimenters have switched to a diet of all meat, and proven it could be healthy for them.

You cannot live on all carbs/grains--you will get malnutrition.

Vegetables are also carbs, but they contain protein and fiber and a small amount of carb, and a lot of nutrients, so the body can cope with them.

We need a good balance of different kinds of fats, which is upset by us eating too many carbs, and by eating animals that ate grain instead of grass or plants.

If we eat wild or grass fed organic meat, the balance of omegas is better. That is also why it helps to take fish oil or eat fish--it tries to fix the balance of fats that is messed up by the carbs.

Now that most meat in the stores is from animals fed with corn or soybeans, their fat is bad for us because it is off balance.

Saturated fat is not bad in itself, but bad when it comes from grain-fed animals.

So, a good way of eating for some people (not all diets work the same for everybody) is to eat organic grass fed meat, lots of non-starchy vegetables, nuts and eggs, and occasional low sugar fruit (i.e., strawberries, not bananas).

By definition, that is gluten free because it does not include any grains or processed foods that might have hidden grains.

I am a carb addict and cannot imagine life without carbs (well, I can imagine it because I have been trying, but it is not very fun and I cheat, LOL).

It IS fun in the sense that I physically feel great when I eat that way, but it is not emotionally satisfying, so I go off it too easily.

Therefore it is good to come up with carb substitutes made from protein, fat, and maybe low sugar fruit and/or vegetables and herbs.

I really love almond flour, now that I have discovered it. It is very expensive, but it tastes good and is good for you--protein, good fat, fiber, and minerals.

You can buy a pound at most grocery stores made by Bob's Red Mill, near the special flours and gluten free mixes.

You can order it online cheaper, and reviews say better quality, in a five pound bag from Honeyville Grain.

It does not absorb liquid like some flours, so you need to experiment, and use less liquid and maybe more butter and egg. Some recipes use mixtures of flours.

I have used it successfully to make yummy biscuits--I served them to my parents at Thanksgiving, who wanted the recipe even though they are not on my diet.

I have recently made chocolate cake with it, which has really improved my quality of life.

You can make your own with organic almonds (cheaper and better for you), if you can find a grinder or food processor that will grind them up fine enough.

I read about flour mills, but many of them are designed to grind dry grains, and do not do so well with nuts.

Bread or cake from almond flour tends to be dense, possibly a bit spongy or crumbly, and to fill you up quickly.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a good blender or food processor can make almond meal out of almonds. Same with other nuts. If you keep processing (in a food processor) you get almond butter.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Carbohydrates are absolutely essential to life and our body needs them to function. Without the natural complex sugars providing glucose and other natural sugars (not sugar like we have come to know it) in the (complex) carbohydrates in vegetables, etc. our brain cells would die.

Proteins provide essential amino acids and there are essential fatty acids but carbohydrates are also just as essential to our well being. It's just that everyone has come to think of "carbs" as being bad - they are not. It's what the food manufacturers have done to make some carbs poison by over processing and the addictive nature of the mutant products.

Carbohydrates from the earth (not from the center of a store) - vegetables and fruit and (for us non-gluten) whole grains - provided vital polysaccharides for our brains, our hearts, our livers - our whole bodies. It's not just the sugars but also the antioxidants and the fiber that our bodies require from good carbohydrates. The sugars (in the very best sense of the word) are also required to help keep toxic liver detox porphyrins from reaching fatal levels . . . and on and on . . . .

Just remember: complex is best. Carbohydrate is not a bad word. Neither is sugar - if used in the truest definition.

=======
Book:

Sugars That Heal: The New Healing Science of Glyconutrients
by Emil I. Mondoa, M.D.; and Mindy Kitei

-

massman
Unregistered

Keebs - we keep disagreeing about this - "Carbohydrates are absolutely essential to life and our body needs them to function"

So I will throw the gauntlet down + ask you to puhleeeeeeze specifically name the essential carbs. Not some, but the essential carbs.

Why do brains run more efficiently on ketones than on carbs ? Ketosis is not evil, ketogenesis is.

Some people run better on carbs, sure, but not most.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Essential means necessary. Brains, bodies, require carbs. Therefore, carbs are essential to life. Carbohydrates supply many intricately designed (and, yes, essential) nutritional elements to our cells and also enable many functions.

Air is essential. Water is essential. So, too, are proteins and lipids, along with carbohydrates - all together.

"Essential" as an adjective, means: absolutely required

-

[ 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do yourself some good and read some of this
website. www.allergie-immun.de (click on English version)

You can also translate long links by using google translate. You will gain a wealth of information.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carbs are not essential
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The brain does need glucose to function, but it can be created by the body from protein through the process of gluconeogenesis in the liver, even if you do not eat any carbs.

That is explained in the Taubes book I cited above, not my personal opinion.

If you neither eat any carbs nor make any glucose in your liver, then you would be in trouble.

If you eat a diet without any fat, OR without any protein, it is not sustainable and would give you malnutrition.

With an all meat diet, you could burn ketone bodies (from fat) for energy in most of your body, and make glucose for your brain from part of the protein.

The body needs a couple of days to adjust to the change, so if you want to reduce your total carbs, it is better to do it consistently every day and not eat high carbs one day and low the next.

If you eat nonrefined carbs (like the veggies, fruit and whole grains Keebler mentions), your body can digest them slowly and avoid coping with the problem of a rush of too much glucose all at once.

I guess I am only trying to say that there is no minimum amount of carbs that you absolutely must eat to live, but too much of the wrong kind of carbs can harm you. "Too much" varies by the kind/amount of food and the person.

I felt I should add this explanation because I don't want anybody to think I was irresponsibly telling people something that could damage their brains, in my earlier post.

Goodness, our Lyme brains have enough challenges already, LOL.

You need to find what diet makes you healthiest, different for different people.

If you only want to avoid gluten, you do not have to avoid ALL grains, only those grains that have gluten in them.

For anybody who is new to it and not sure how to avoid gluten, you could safely start by avoiding all grains and processed foods, and then learning which items are safe to add back, and finding new recipes.

Mazou, good luck, and I'm sorry I got so far beyond the original question. I still say, try almond flour, for its good flavor and high fiber content.

Keebler and others, thanks for the links to ingredients and recipes--I am always glad to find more potential things I can eat.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"carbs are not essential".

I would not suggest or try living without complex carbohydrates.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

So could anyone please name the specific carbs that are essential ? There are specific fats + amino acids that are essential,

I have studied nutrition for forty years, 15 on my own and 25 as a health pro. Nowhere have I ever seen or heard of essential carbs.

The "official" line has included no fat / low fat and base your diet on complex carbs. This is politics and not reality. The author of "Good Calories Bad Calories" mentioned above also wrote a great article titled "What If It's All Really Been A Big Fat Lie ?"

The food pyramid is upside down. Any grains should be at the tiny top of the pyramid.

And if "everybody" knows carbs are essential does that make it true ?

MariaA
Member # 9128

The guy who wrote 'A Big Fat Lie' and Good Calories Bad Calories appears to have done a lot of mis-quoting of his sources (to the point where a lot of them went on the record saying that they're outraged by the misrepresentation) and ignored science that contradicted him, sort of like how the IDSA does when describing Lyme studies.

here's an article that debunks both of Taubes' works on the subject of low-carb:

http://reason.com/archives/2003/03/01/big-fat-fake

I, by the way, eat low-carb, but I hate bad science. Nutrition is filled with emotional, passionate use of bad science.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

massman
Unregistered

Search google for essential amino acids > hits !

Search google for essential fatty acids > hits !

Search google for essebtial carbs > Zero except for commercial products !

Here is a good explanation from a blog:

"
The most obvious characteristic of a low-carb diet is that it is low in carbohydrates. The original Atkins diet recommends that dieters start its Induction phase with essentially zero grams of carbohydrates.

The 2002 version of the Atkins diet allows dieters to do Induction with up to twenty grams of carbohydrates. The Protein Power diet begins its Phase I Intervention stage at thirty grams of carbohydrates. As all of these diets progress, additional carbohydrates are introduced in a controlled manner, but even at maintenance, most low-carbers eat no more than 100 grams of carbohydrate per day.

By contrast, the US Department of Agriculture recommends that both children and adults eat 45-65% of their daily calories as carbohydrates. That can mean well over 300 grams of carbohydrates per day for a person consuming a 2000 calorie diet.

What happens if we ignore the USDA guidelines and don't eat enough carbs every day? Carbohydrates are popularly thought to be essential for providing energy. Specifically they are thought to be necessary to provide fuel for the brain and to refill stores of glycogen in muscles and in the liver.

The American Diabetes Association tells us that the brain and central nervous system normally have a daily requirement of about 130 grams of carbohydrate in the form of glucose. However, after a period of adaptation, most of these tissues are also able to use ketones as an energy source.

This reduces the carbohydrate requirement to about 30 grams of glucose per day. As low-carbers with Ketostix already know, ketones are produced in abundance from the fats and amino acids consumed on a low-carb diet.

The remaining need for thirty grams of glucose can easily be met through a metabolic pathway called gluconeogenesis, which allows the body to use amino acids from proteins and the glycerol backbones from fats to synthesize glucose in the absence of any carbohydrate intake.

Glycogen, which is a storage form of glucose, can similarly be replenished by the glucose made through gluconeogenesis. As far as the general energy requirements of the body, these can be met very efficiently both by the utilization of dietary fat and by the mobilization of stored fat.

Carbohydrates, therefore, are not an essential element of a healthy diet. There are essential fats, which include the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.

Because they are not produced by the body, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids must be consumed in order to ensure the normal function of the nervous system, heart and immune system. There are essential amino acids, including isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine. Although some amino acids can be synthesized by the body, these eight cannot.

Unless they are ingested, and ingested in the proper amounts, the body is unable to assemble all of the structural and enzymatic proteins that are needed to sustain life.

By contrast, there is no disease state associated with an insufficient intake of carbohydrates. It is true that the body needs carbohydrates for energy within certain types of tissues, for synthesis of the backbones of DNA and RNA, and for signaling purposes, but it is well able to synthesize all of these from the raw materials provided by the amino acids in the proteins we eat.

For those of us raised on the dogma of eating low-fat and high-carb, this is hard to believe. But if we think about our caveman ancestors, we realize that they didn't have access to pasta, potatoes or rice, or even high-carb fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.

They were able to survive and reproduce without a high carbohydrate intake because, amazingly enough, there is no such thing as an essential carbohydrate."

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You won't find a term for "essential water" but it is, indeed, essential to life.

I don't understand the hatred and fear of all the nutrition just waiting for us from the plant kingdom.

Seriously, it is a huge stressor on the body to feed it only proteins and lipids. Carbs are indeed a vital component and not just for the good sugars for our cells.

The antioxidants from the plant world simply cannot be matched in other food categories. A broad array of antioxidants are key to our survival. Most of those come from the plant world.

The fiber, too, is essential to helping us get rid of normal metabolic waste. We would not be able to even poop without help from the plant world. And that is a pretty essential function and one that is especially vital to the health of the liver and kidneys.

Plants are our friends, offering absolutely superb nutrients. Without help from the plant kingdom, our bodies simply cannot be strong and healthy.

It's not just one ingredient or one vegetable that can be singled out. It's the whole basket from the garden. Our grandparents were correct: Eat your Vegetables !
-

MariaA
Member # 9128

actually, they ate a varied diet of vegetable matter- that's what's typical of hunter-gatherer diets in modern times. In woodlands that typically involves a high percentage of nuts and roots, something that is called 'mast' (ie woodland wild foods) and in the summertime there are a HUGE variety of green edibles in the wild.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

massman
Unregistered

Thank you Maria.

We should admit that politics are involved in all of this.

Keebs - veggies are real foods. Grains are the culprit, IMO [Cool]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Grains are also from the plant kingdom and are real food, as nature intended (not in boxes in supermarkets).

QUINOA is one example of a fabulous grain. It is excellent is so very many ways. An entire culture has survived with quinoa as one of their major sources of food - not the only one, of course, but it's been very important to them for centuries.

Wild Rice (though really a legume) is another great example. Such a good food.

Again, it's not any one group of food that is good or bad - it's the state in which we use it and the manner in which the balance is achieved.

The politics come from the food manufacturers creating fake foods that our brains crave like drugs and in diet product manufacturers wanting us to then believe that all food is really bad and we need it from some canister instead.

But, that's not really politics, it's greed. Politics, however, are responsible for the vast degree of hunger and lack of water around the globe. There is no excuse for one county having fake foods stacked high in a market and other countries not even having supplies of water to grow their crops.

So, too, politics and greed are key to the poisoning of many crops by chemicals so that our choices are in danger. The average farmer's life has been turned upside down by corporate greed.

But, we can change that by our practices in supporting local, organic farmers. We can refuse to buy any processed "foods" that advertise. That just adds to the corporate greed.

Yikes . . . we are so lucky to even be able to talk about eating vegetables when much of the world is denied that due to control issues of governments and corporations.
-

massman
Unregistered

So there are lists of essential aminos + fats above.

Exactly what are the specific names of the essential carbs [confused]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Broccoli, spinach, carrots . . . consuming a VARIETY of vegetables and low sugar fruit is essential (or use the word "vital" if that makes you less upset) for our survival. Vegetables are our friends. We don't need to be afraid of them.

And dark berries, too, oh, my!

The bright colors of the plant kingdom provide various antioxidants that are essential to fight free radicals that can damage cells. Plant sources give us energy. They supply fiber, vital to our ability to detox our colons, our bodies. All essential functions.
-

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not going for a few days is not good. Ideal is 2-3 times per day to keep toxins moving out, per my doctor. Otherwise toxins can build in the colon.

Fiber, Vitamin C, magnesium, fresh fruits and vegetables and water all work to keep bowels normal.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Keebs we are talking about gluten, not veggies. I have been recommending + using Standard Process for years, which are mostly condensed low temperature processed veggies.

And lots of veggies as part of diet. Do get, have gotten it about veggies for years.

Grains are what is not essential.

Shosty
Unregistered

We use garbanzo bean flour, corn flour, both of which require baking powder and xanthum gum for muffins and quick breads, and Bob's Red Mill "Baking and Biscuit Mix," which already has xanthum gum and baking powder. I mix with apples, berries, sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin etc. w/spices to make muffins and breads.

We also eat brown rice cereal, which is good mixed with fruit and cinnamon or applesauce.

There are some good brown rice tortillas (frozen) available at a lot of health stores. Also rice cakes, rice crackers (w/hummus or avocado or nut butters), rice itself mixed with veggies or protein. We eat lots of rice!

For constipation (which I think may come from the fineness of the flours, which maybe don't tell the GI system to function properly) we make sure to have prunes every day, and also taking magnesium capsules (the citrate) helps a lot. Miralax is pretty gentle. I use Senna myself, once in awhile. Glycerin suppositories too.

I am currently not eating gluten, dairy, soy, corn, avocados, seeded fruits, citrus, or eggs. I went on an elimination diet a few years back, and when I tried to go back on these things, I got sick.

My daughter improved once off both dairy and gluten.

Going gluten free really isn't that hard, from the perspective of someone who can't eat much of anything at all! Think positive!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
massman,

I know this thread started about gluten but you added so much about all carbs being unnecessary so that was so puzzling and I felt the need to defend the foods from the plant kingdom that you seemed to be so against as vital to our health.

Some grains can be very good for people. They offer great nutrition and help with endurance. Quinoa is a prime example of that . Some grains aren't so helpful, as we see with wheat's negative effect on many yet there are some who do okay with it.

Much depends on the individual and the how close to the earth the food is when consumed, so to speak.
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

Quinoa is good... I throw a tbsp of coconut oil in with it and sprinkle sea salt on it.

Mmmmmm

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Shosty, thanks for the great suggestions. Wow, what a diet you have?

My daughter's ped just recommended daily Miralax, until things get rolling again. It seems to be helping somewhat.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by massman:
The food pyramid is upside down. Any grains should be at the tiny top of the pyramid.

I agree with that one BIGTIME!!!! I've said that for about 30-40 yrs. When I was teaching I had to teach about the food pyramid and I always knew it was wrong and UPSIDE down!

They feed school kids nothing but carbs. It's ridiculous when they call mustard and ketchup "vegetables!"

OK.. I'd better drop this before I go into a tirade about what they feed our children!! [cussing]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Shosty... got any gluten free muffin recipes???

You said you're using corn flour but then mentioned you don't eat corn??? Could you clarify that for me?? Thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Shosty
Unregistered

Oh sorry, yeah, I cook for my daughter's allergies, and was also thinking of other people on this thread. I can't have most of those muffins myself! My daughter eats the muffins, while I eat that rice cereal with applesauce!

Using Bog's Red Mill Baking and Biscuit Mix, I just measure a cup of the mix, add cinnamon (and sugar, although my daughter has type 1 diabetes as well as allergies so I usually use fruit instead of sugar).

Mix an egg in a bowl with a few Tbs. oil (corn or veg.), a tsp. vanilla if you like, a small container of applesauce, mashed banana or sweet potato or pumpkin etc. for moistness, and mix with the dry ingredients. You can also use soy or rice mix for moistness.

I actually measure only for blood sugar reasons, and otherwise just use my sense of how moist we want this mixture to be, which I have determined over time. The wet mixture is probably about the same amount as the dry, in a 1:1 proportion that is. The result is muffins that are quite moist inside, almost pudding-like, with a crispy exterior.

If not using the Bob's mix, then use whatever flour and add a tsp. of xanthum gum (Bob's makes this too) and 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (again, you can play around with this), then proceed as above.

I forgot to mention nuts and seeds, dried cranberries...frozen raspberries (cut up)...lots of possibilities.

My other daughter, who has no allergies, loves these muffins.

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Shosty, they sound delicious.

I got a pack of Bob's Red Mill pancake mix, and don't like the pancakes it makes. Do you think I could substitute this for the Baking/Biscuit mix in recipes? At $5.99, I'd hate to have to throw it away.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Bob's is gluten free? I have the gluten free flour, but is this mix also gluten free?

Sorry, I'm confused.... [bonk]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Bob's Red Mill has BOTH - regular products AND a whole Gluten-Free line. Just be sure to see the label.
-

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that it was much harder ont he body to turn proteins into glucose (brain food).

I am totally in agreement with going gluten free, but there's no way I am gonna say carbs are unnecessary. I think pulverizing grains into fine powders for ingestion can cause a ton of problems, but seriously you could technically live without a lot of things but that doesn't mean its optimal.

Also-keeping in mind that we as animals are evolving and what may have been ok for certain groups of cavemen is no longer ideal for us.

Nothing wrong with a balance of things as long as the overall respect for the food and nature is there and processing is kept to a minimum.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
massman,

I know this thread started about gluten but you added so much about all carbs being unnecessary so that was so puzzling and I felt the need to defend the foods from the plant kingdom that you seemed to be so against as vital to our health.

Some grains can be very good for people. They offer great nutrition and help with endurance. Quinoa is a prime example of that . Some grains aren't so helpful, as we see with wheat's negative effect on many yet there are some who do okay with it.

Much depends on the individual and the how close to the earth the food is when consumed, so to speak.
-

Actually this thread started out about constipation. Our LLMD suggested Apple Pectin (in capsules)for my daughter when she was put on a gluten free diet.
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
JR,

I stand corrected. As it happens, vegetables and dark berries are excellent to help relive constipation.

Your reminder of apple pectin is especially helpful as it helps capture toxins. Many doctors suggest that instead of cholestyramine as it's far less binding. Taking all that white stuff between the orange peel and the orange is a great source of pectin, too.
-

elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I eat blackerries and blueberries on a daily basis. Them, paired with the veggies and quinoa, work like a charm.

I believe coconut oil has gentle laxative effects as well.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

JR, sounds great. Can you recommend the kind you use?

elley, that's so funny. I was just thinking of adding coconut oil to her diet this week. It's probably a good thing all around.

JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mazou:
JR, sounds great. Can you recommend the kind you use?

elley, that's so funny. I was just thinking of adding coconut oil to her diet this week. It's probably a good thing all around.

LLMD didn't recommend any particular brand, so I just got some from Vitamin Shop. I think Trader Joe's might be a good place, too.
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Don't know if they carry pectin, but I've tried in vain to get coconut oil from Trader Joe's and mine does not carry it. So you might call in advance if that is where you are headed. While their inventory is basically the same there are still slight differences region to region.

I have heard that coconut macaroons are a folk remedy for loose bowels. Don't know if the that would be more from the density of the coconut flake but you might want to search about about that and if the oil would have the same effect.
-

canefan17
Member # 22149

"""canefan, how has it saved you? And did you have ups and downs similar to my daughter? Her turnaround was AMAZING. She was spelling words out, acting out little scenes, bright as the sun, whereas a few days before while "detoxing" from the g/c, she was a nutcase. Now, unfortunately, she's a bit of a nutcase again! I am keeping it up in hopes that just a few more things need to be addressed."""

sorry... missed this...

Gluten/wheat/dairy was destroying my gut. It's the reason, I truly believe, that i came down with Lyme.

Sure I might have been a carrier... but it wasn't until I lost complete control of my diet that I became sick.

gluten or wheat can instantly cause problems for me. Fatigue, blurred vision, brain fog, depression.

I had a naturopath clea up my entire diet and within 2 weeks the results were so astonishing.

Unfortunately I didn't stick with it... I went back to my old ways and months/1 yr later came down with Lyme Disease.

Shucks!

Going gluten/wheat/dairy/corn free so far has helped tremendously during my Lyme treatment.

mazou
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15319

Thanks JR. Love the Vitamin Shoppe. Sometimes they are as cheap as Vitacost. I always check.

Wow, canefan, what a story. Are you back on the special diet again?

Keebler, I know. I love TJs, but ours sells out of many things before noon. I could call in for sure. Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement