LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 1st day of Mepron and I'm sick as a dog. Is this a good sign ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1st day of Mepron and I'm sick as a dog. Is this a good sign ?
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem with the first dose, but I took it at night. Took the second dose 750mg yesterday morning and I have been sick as a dog since.

Symptoms: Fatigue, Body Aches, Chills, Nausea, Lots of Diarrhea, Freezing down to the bone, plus exacerbation of previous symptoms.

I'm not crying, possibly due to adding Zoloft about 10 days ago, but I feel like death.

I will be pulsing M-W-F and wondering if I should skip tomorrow or just suck it up.

Lots of green bile in the toilet so I guess I don't need any coffee enemas :-)

Drinking tons of hot tea and lots of laying around with frequent hot baths.

I had been on the Doxy/Tindamax combo prior without any of this and have never had GI problems in the past.

Appreciate any feedback.

Gary [toilet]

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking the mepron with food? I've been eating a little when I get up and waiting a little before I eat a scoop of peanut butter and eat something else. At night it's easier because dinner is easier to eat for me.

I have also found that taking ginger capsules helps a lot with the naseau. They have tea too, but I think the capsules work better.

I hope this helps some. I started this round of mepron on Monday. I'll take it for 3 weeks and then have a week off.

Hope you feel better soon.

B4Lyme

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, just a bowel of cerial in the morning. But did take a big scoop of peanut butter with it.

With the dinner dose, I had much more food in me, but again took it with peanut butter.

Gary

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't get a herx from malarone/zith until about day 5 or 6
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't herx on it till day 24.

Every third day is odd. Typically you don't pulse Mepron. Glad it seems to be doing something.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymetwister - Sounds every bit like a Mepron herx, esp. the chills to the bone. Only Mepron did that to me when I was in tx. Yeah, it's tough.

As for skipping a dose, it wouldn't be unheard of. Your taking a teaspoon (5ml) dose, every 12 hours, right?

The first time I took Mep, it took 18 days to herx. 2nd time, it took 12 days. 3rd time, I herxed on the first dose. Brrrr! Freezing cold!

You might try 1/2 dose during the day and full dose at night until the herxes become more bearable. I'm not a doctor, so you might want to check with your doc or the nurse. I just don't see an advantage in being knocked on your butt.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya Ping, but I'm pretty much knocked on my butt to start with, just a bit more torture as with everything.

I will try and suck it up as it's just M-W-F. Taking Doxy and Tindamax on other days.

I was told, this is close to what Dr. J in D.C. does with his patients. I think he uses Flagyl instead of Tindamax, but the two drugs are close.

Appreciate your thoughts,

Gary

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's a pretty brutal drug Gary. I've taken it for 35+ days with a few very small breaks due to major toxicity. My liver numbers mildly elevate. It's caused a lot of head pressre, chills, and a very tipsy feeling. I'm not sure if the 750 mg of Zithromax caused me ototoxicity.

I had a few better days, but the bad get really bad. I'm more inclined to take Malarone moving forward. I felt better on that before w/less side effects, but it may have been due to much lower doses of Atoquovone (2 tablets only). 2 tsp Mepron = 6 tablets Malarone. Malarone has a second drug in it though.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should take less to start? Just an idea??

I happen to be one of those that Mepron helped and the more I took the better I felt. I took it for 9 months at 4 doses a day and sometimes 6 and felt better and better.

It is the only ORAL drug that I have not felt like hell on.. WHo knows why? RIght?

THis whole disease and its treatments are a mystery and we are all so different.

Hope you find a balance and feel better.

Did you start the other drugs separately. And one by one to make sure you know what is doing what??

Good Luck to you..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

The Tindamax and Doxy were causing Herx's, but tolerable.

When I added the Mepron, I took it with the Zithromax, but I can only assume the Mepron is the culprit.

I know I have alot of Babs to kill off. Perhaps I'm making a chip at it.

It's that kind of cold you get that only a hot bath will fix temporarily.

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't make that assumption. I did fine on Mepron/Biaxin, but even towards the end of treatment when my bug load should have been lower, I NEVER could tolerate the zith, even if pulsed. I'd go from feeling pretty good and being pretty functional to being bedridden.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, I think it's the extreme chills that's the dead giveaway, pointing to the Mepron (& Babs die-off). Most all the literature I've read, esp. from Dr. K. states extreme chills (& I mean extreme) as a classic sx of Babs die-off.

Yes, the warm (or downright hot) bath helps. I just got under about 3 blankets (1 of them electric), fully clothed, with socks on and a scarf on my head and still shivered. When it started to wear off, I was hotter than all get-out and sweating! LOL!

Best to you in your Bab-slaying.

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Ping, if your correct than for once I'm killing something, finally !

Just got out of the tub for the 3rd time today.

I used my Sauna earlier and that me Herx more. I won't use that anymore until I get my load down.

Gary

Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished 6 weeks of Mepron/Flagyl -uggh!Also did Olive leaf extract with it for 30 days.

I had Horrible herxing. I felt I didn't have a choice to go through it b/c I was feeling so terrible before I started but I spent pretty much the first 4 weeks at home with the blinds drawn, and the last 2 weeks the same but with the blinds up!

I had never done flagyl before - not fun!

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
been
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23127

Icon 1 posted      Profile for been     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today is day 6 for me on Mepron.

No herx yet not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing?

Although I'm always cold, but no extreme chills.

My right cervical lymph node was swollen the second day but it's back to normal for most part.

I feel a little less foggy today too!

I think something good is happening. I'm trying to stay positive [Smile]

Posts: 133 | From Philly/NJ | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember there was a post on Lymenet Europe from a user who stated too many here often mistake the Mepron herx for the drug's side effects. I'm not a fan of that site, but I tend to agree. It's a brutal drug. I know it helps some bigtime, but it's a fine line.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron has a lot of side affects to be aware of.. Yes.

Ironically this drug is the only ORAL Drug that Helped me with no herx. Werid

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go, twister. Click around on this website for a bit and you'll find info re: Babs herx.

www.klinghardtacademy.com

--------------------
ping

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, are you taking Zithromax with the Mepron?
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Yes, taking them together.

Gary

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, good.

I have had some doozy herxes from Babesiosis. It should get better over time. Hang in there okay?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is what always happened to me when I took Mepron. I never could last more than 4 or 5 days on it before i would just feel way too sick adn my weight would get so low that I would have to go off of it.

Hang in there! I hope this med works for you.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement