LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anxiety, anxiety, anxiety anyone?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 9 year old son is having a terrible time with anxiety. Our Dr is not LL and I'm just wondering if this is typical?

It's getting so bad that it really affects him in day to day life. His sleep is also very disrupted. He has trouble falling asleep and then wakes up every 2 hours or so, which I know being over tired does not help anxiety at all.

Does anyone have this same experience or have any advice?

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breaks my heart to hear of a child having to deal with this!

Yes, I have anxiety and insomnia! I think they go hand in hand. I take Xanax for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia, but doubt that would be an option for a child.

I would find a LLMD!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had anxiety issues- and Zoloft has helped a great deal.
Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm calling today to try to get myself in with a LLMD but sadly, the resources are VERY limited for children. I'm hoping to be able to ask the LLMD some questions about my son since he is already taking antibiotics.

I am hoping to find some help for him more along the natural lines instead of more pills. He knows he has Lyme but doesn't understand why he feels so tense and why he can't stop it.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has he been tested For Bartonella? Our daughter had bad anxiety, It has gotten better with Bart. treatment.

Hope you get some answers soon. So sorry your little one is dealing with this.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

No, he hasn't. We are lucky our PCP has us on antibiotics as it is. Neither of us has been tested for any co-infections, and I'm still trying to find someone that can/will test him or even treat him for it.
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety can be a big symptom of parasites. I urge you to consider this.

Please check the symptom list at Humaworm. They play a MAJOR role in Lyme disease.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
natural calm makes a magnesium for kids i think
Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has had similar problems. I give him an herbal called Bio-Nite from Biometics - you can google it. It costs about $13 and contains melatonin, chamomile, and valerian root. Our md/homeopath says it's safe.

Gael is right about the parasites. We are all on an anti-parasitic protocol and are seeing improvement.

Also KPU can cause anxiety and sleep problems among other things, and is common among lyme patients.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you to everyone for their replies!

I feel dumb asking but.....whats KPU?

Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.drrandy.org for article on KPU Pyrroluria.Click on articles A breakthrough for chronically ill patients. Also betterhealthguy.com for lots of info.U can also search here for pyrroluria,kryptopyrroluria,KPU
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 of my 4 children (and my husband and me) are currently being treated for Lyme. My 5 year old has had tremendous anxiety (and irritability and mood swings). The anxiety was his main symptom and it definitely affected his daily life.

Sleep was awful. He had a very hard time falling asleep and woke often and usually ended up in bed with us because he was scared or just couldn't settle. We use Melatonin when he has a particularly bad night now, just a half of a 3mg tablet and he goes out pretty quickly.

He has been on abx since September. We have seen steady improvement in his anxiety and irritability. He still has flares in pretty regular patterns, but it is much less now than at the beginning.

We suspect he also has Bartonella and Babesia even though his tests were negative.

He started Mepron last month and we have noticed a BIG improvement lately.

It is hard to watch your kids suffer with this. I'll be praying you can find a good LLMD who will see your son soon. It is really hard to find a pediatric LLMD who doesn't have a 6 month wait and is close enough that you don't go broke with travel expenses! Good luck.

Posts: 239 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momintexas - it's not dumb to ask. I didn't know what it was either 'til recently.

Thanks Healing for the link.

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety might be the most common of all symptoms.

The best thing I know of for myself, I don't know if they Rx it to kids is Xanax.

Poor darling needs symptom relief, insist your doctor do something for him.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanax is what got me though the anxiety attacks too. But, I agree, not sure if the doctor will Rx it for kids. Maybe low dose possibly. It doesn't take much to help.

Gary

[ 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: gwb ]

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Magnesium and fish oil are very helpful. As someone mentioned above, Natural Calm (a magnesium packet) can be very good.

Curcumin, too, can calm stress symptoms. Even turmeric from your kitchen spice cabinet can help.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you everyone! The information that you all have been giving to me is priceless and so very much appreciated. You are all really helping answer a lot of my questions as we muddle through this. Thank you.

I've started giving him Omega 3 packets a few days ago and I need to find that Natural Calm.

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety is probably the most common symptom of lyme and other tick-borne diseases. Mine went away with lyme and babesia treatment, and some bart treatment.

Hylands makes a homeopathic remedy called "Calms" which works great and helps to get to sleep.

Lyme treatment might make it worse at first, but it should go away with proper treatment. You need a llmd for him!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A co worker told us their Dr. prescribed XANAx for her infant grandson with colic!

quote:
Originally posted by gwb:
Xanax is what got me though the anxiety attacks too. But, I agree, not sure if the doctor will Rx it for kids. Maybe low dose possibly. It doesn't take much to help.

Gary

Posts: 365 | From Sylvania | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel so bad for the children that are affected. It seems so unfair and must really worry you.

Anxiety and insomnia are two of the most obvious symptoms for bartonella and you need specific abx to address it. Herbs will not cure it. When I was treating the lyme, not knowing I also had bart, my bart symptoms became much stronger. Look for other signs such as swollen glands, aching in shins or painful feet and dry sensitive eyes. Check his skin for signs such as pea size brown spots, tiny blood blisters, loss of pigment, crusty moles, tags, stretch marks, spider veins, swelling that does not dent, unusual markings on skin (like chicken wire or stacked clams) and nodules under the skin that hurt when pressed (otherwise you do not know they are there). I only have a few of these and not the most obvious ones like the typical cat scratch rash.

Other emotional problems connected with bart are depression, rage, lack of motivation, inability to concentrate, and a feeling of being detached which some people call depersonalized.
If you and your doctor suspect he might have this and start treatment expect the anxiety to increase when he firsts starts drugs. It will get better, much better, when the bacteria are under control

Supplement B complex with additional B12 and magnesium citrate ( or some other chelated form). Also give vitamin D3 as it is depleted in winter.

When I began treatment this year (after failed herbal treatments) with rifampan my anxiety was through the roof. I switched to
zithro and Bactrim and feel so much better now! If your son has insomnia too you can give him the herb corydalis which you can buy from 1stchineseherbs. It is very safe, non habit forming and has no side effects. Works like a drug. I would try to manage the side effects with herbs but the bacteria with drugs.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Thank you for that info Nefferdun. I have an appt for myself with a LLMD on Feb 4th but he does not see children. All of the ones that have been referred to me that are close to Texas are not taking on new patients. I'm hoping that since our GP has my son currently on abx that the LLMD may be able to offer some advice to me until we can get to the East Coast. (6 month waiting list in CT).

I have him on Omega 3, B Complex, Mutli-Vitmain, Vit C, and Probiotics. I need to find the Nature Calm and D3 and plan to look today while out.

I strongly suspect we both have Bart after all I've read about it.

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget B12 as it is depleted by the bacteria and leaves you feeling completely stressed. Google B12 depletion - the symptoms are very similar to lyme. I hope you both get answers and help. There are over 200 strains of bartonella and the labs only test for two so you need to see a doctor that relies on symptoms rather than tests.
Good luck.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
momintexas,

I understand what you are going through...it took over 5 years of treatments to get this under control for my teenager.

Here's what I recommend.

Test for and treat co-infections first...get rid of them, then much anxiety and other symptoms will go....

then:

Heal his ability to absorb nutrients first. Work on the gut. He is not absorbing his nutrients properly...this is a main problem...not to say its everything for him. All lyme patients have this! And probably most Americans.

I suggest trying the Allergie Immune therapy to remove blocks so the gut can clear. You can check out those threads and ask others who this has helped. Too extensive to post here.

Then...when clear... his lacking minerals can be absorbed....lacking minerals, EFA's etc. gives anxiety and depression...most of us have bodies that cannot recognize the minerals or absorb them naturally, and just pass them out the stool/urine.

WE t ry to eat right and take the correct supplements...but they are not being absorbed!!!!

Then give a quality, liquid supplement daily with all essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
My teen is using intra--Max now...by DRucker labs...it has everything in it including probiotics, and EFA's. . There is one for kids as well. Google it and look for a product like that one. It's easier for a child to take one capful of one product than multiple pills and capsules a day...

HIs mind and body will begin to heal...it takes time. There is no easy fix, or pill to cure this.

This is working for my teen.

We ariginally tried antidepressants...no help.

Although the lyme psychologist we see, did recommmend Topomax for one month only......not to exceed it. It helped her sleep and regulate her body rythms and menstral cycle. Big help.

Then did the natural protocols....her anxiety is much lower now. She is still adding the vitamins and minerals, to finally heal the brain as they were lacking all along! She tells me she feels so much more balanced and much less anxiety.

Adding pharma psych meds long term to your child should be your last resort. HIs body will balance to accept them, and cause more problems in the future.

A young persons immune jsystem is strong, and he can get better with a natural systematic approach...suggest you find a good ND, togo along with your llmd. NO one has the total package or answer. IT is a process.

Best wishes and blessings.
lp

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement