LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CDC reports of 2 emerging Virus' assoc. with Mice and Rats.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CDC reports of 2 emerging Virus' assoc. with Mice and Rats.
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/16/2/308.htm

We report 2 cases of Sin Nombre virus (SNV) infection in field workers, possibly contracted

through rodent bites. Screening for antibodies to SNV in rodents trapped in 2 seasons showed that

9.77% were seropositive. Quantitative real-time PCR showed that 2 of 79 deer mice had detectable titers of SNV RNA.

In this study of human infections by SNV in Boulder County, Colorado, we identified 2

patients who had trapped rodents for ecologic studies. On June 14, 2005, a 24-year-old man was

admitted to Boulder Community Hospital with fatigue, headache, fever, and thrombocytopenia

(70,000 platelets/μL) but without cardiorespiratory compromise. A strip immunoblot

assay identified immunoglobulin (Ig) M and IgG against SNV N and Gn proteins. On July 6, 2005, a

22-year-old IgM- and IgG-seropositive woman was admitted to Boulder Community Hospital with fever

and dyspnea; she subsequently experienced bilateral lung infiltrates and thrombocytopenia

(116,000 platelets/μL). She required oxygen supplementation but recovered almost completely

by July 11. She reported performing fieldwork in the same period as did patient 1 but with no

overlap among the sites (the distances between sampling sites where the 2 field workers most

probably contracted their infections ranged from 6.4 to 9.8 km). Both patients engaged in field

activities involving manipulating traps and rodents in areas where deer mice were seropositive for SNV

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/16/2/328.htm
Abstract
We describe a case of lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) meningitis in a New

York, NY, resident who had no apparent risk factors. Clues leading to the diagnosis included

aseptic meningitis during winter and the finding of hypoglycorrachia and lymphocytosis in the

cerebrospinal fluid. LCMV continues to be an underdiagnosed zoonotic disease.

Critical or even fatal outcomes from LCMV are usually associated with transplacental

infections, and, more recently, solid organ transplantation. Congenital LCMV can result in

hydrocephalus, chorioretinopathy, macrocephalopathy, or microcephalopathy and can

mimic the classic TORCH (toxoplasmosis/Toxoplasma gondii, other infections, rubella,

cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus) pathogens. In 1 study of 26 infants with congenital LCMV,

9/26 (35%) died and 10/16 (63%) survivors had severe neurologic sequelae
==================================================

I find it interesting that neither report testing

for borreliosis, Yet one was tested for Syphilis.

And why in the heck are they reporting SNV now 5 years later?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you think it makes more sense that the vectors are feeding on these rats and then biting humans?

Yes, this these people were in direct contact with the rats, so inhaling bacteria spores or even contamination through the skin would make sense.

My health started falling after purchasing a lake home that was infected with mice droppings. No one had cleaned along baseboards, under or moved furniture in years.

The dropping were thick. I had a Rainbow vacuum at the time, it traps all dirt in water used in the vacuum. Inhaled something? Vector bite that was unknown?

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're not biting the rats, I don't think. [Smile]

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno some days I'm mad enough to fight/bite a rat.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the CDC intentionally does not mention LD. Trying to take the attention away from it by bringing up other illnesses.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aliyalex
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aliyalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i live in a valley where there are many elk and deer and the mice are horrible. all houses and cars are infested. they eat the electrical systems in cars.

the other night in the middle of winter!!! i saw a deer tick next to my bed and squished it. then a mouse trap went off. hmmmmm.

hitchhiker?

[ 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: aliyalex ]

Posts: 830 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Transmission is possible.

But with Lyme may be hard to find like other

things. But like XMRV, it could help to have more information on signs and symptoms for those

chronically ill and not improved after antibiotics. Maybe they are looking for funds to

research. Saying XMRV is not the only bad boy we need to look at. I don't know. Need lots of dollars.

And all the researchers to come together for the

good of the people. Test the ticks and send them

on to be tested for the virus'.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement