LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bactrim DS and UTI's ????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bactrim DS and UTI's ????
dian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started bactrim ds to treat bart two weeks ago and just noticed that I maybe starting with a uti, urine burning today with lower stomach pain and smaller amounts of urine. thinking I may have an uti, will call doctor tomorrrow, but only new on board is this bactrim ds., could this be the cause of this new problem?
Posts: 256 | From Boston, mass | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get some D-Mannose that stuff really works and fast...much better than taking other antibiotics.

I don't know if taking an antibiotic could cause it...in that case it might be yeast.

Mannose works by attaching to the bacteria that cause UTI's and pulling them out of the body via the urine. Get the powder...works awesome.

Take it daily for prevention. If its sexual UTI then take it 1 hour before and immediately afterward a dose.

If you have an active UTI already then take it every 2 hours for 3 days then 3x per day tapering to 1x per day for prevention.

Works much much better than cranberry!

Get a urine dip and culture to be sure it is a UTI. Usually counts only over 100,000 bacteria are treated.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a UTI while on Bactrim DS... it was ecoli that overgrew. ( I will see if I can pull up my post..if I posted it on here)

I agree with WildCondor- get a culture to see if you have a UTI. and also check for yeast as well.

Dmannose- mainly works for Ecoli bacteria.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cant should know!! I agree with her and WC.

I take D-Mannose with CranActin. Works wonders to keep away UTI's.

Those with IC may have trouble with the cranberry... it bothers me some, but I only take one pill a day for maintenance.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can remember I believe I was taking Batrim Ds when I got my UTI.

Good luck,
Karen (:

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if a UTI is from yeast, what do they give you more, antifungals?

If we are taking high dosages of antifungals, probiotics,and abx, how can we get a UTI?

Weakend immune system I guess.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks lymetoo- yes I know all too well. I used to take the cranactin...it is good..but fear taking it now because of the IC.

daphnesmom- yes if it is yeast they will culture and put you on an antifungal- it is possible the strain of yeast is resistant to difflucan(if you are currently on that) My yeast was resistant to difflucan right off the bat.

As far as getting a UTI while on abx..it is all about balance.. often the weaker bacteria is killed leaving an overgrowth of one strain.(the bad bacteria) .(often ecoli)

Karen- I thought I was the only one out there to get a UTI on Bactrim. (I couldnt pull up my post on here, probably during a time I was taking a break from posting)

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, can't. So if you are taking diflucan and you become resistant to it and are also taking nystatin and you have a UTI caused from yeast, what do they give you?

The reason I ask, is because currently I have a UTI. Started feeling strange on Sunday and finally peed in the cup on Thursday. Low backache, painful, inflammed abdomin. The stat urine test showed elevated white count and some blood in the urine. The gave me a 5 day course of Cipro and the culture should be back on Monday. I'm not feeling all that much better. I started the Cipro yesterday morning. It's been years since I've had a UTI, but I remember it going away alot faster than this with abx. That's why I am worried it's yeast, in which case...the abx would be making it worse, right?

Could a UTI be from yeast die off?...not just yeast overgrowth? I have been cutting back on my abx recently and increasing probiotics and antifungals. I was wondering die off could cause it.

I am having a mild freak out here.

BTW, I went to my pcp for this urine test as my LLMD's office was closed.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch your DIET very carefully. You can't just take meds and think the yeast will go away. You need to avoid sugar, fruit, white foods...anything that can feed the yeast.

Die off might cause bladder symptoms, but not a UTI.

www.ichelp.org
www.ic-network.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

daphnesmom- I really feel for you as I have been right where you are right now so many times. Quite a few times it took forever for the symptoms to go away...often no bacteria grew on culture yet I had symptoms. What is the dose of Cipro?

Cipro works for me, although oddly when I have bacteria show on culture I have mild symptoms... I actually am worse when nothing shows on culture (but I have IC and so much affects the bladder)

I do remember one time being on macrobid and it did nothing to relieve the symptoms even though it showed the ecoli was suseptable to it.

As for the yeast- you would need a swab by a gyn to test it( rarely will it show up on a urinalysis) ..also should check for a bacterial infection..as bacterial vaginosis can cause bladder symptoms too.

There are various antifungals they can prescribe- nazarol, vfend(are two I have been given in the past)

The most important thing right now is to keep drinking water to keep flushing everything out. Get plenty of rest too and as lymetoo said watch the diet.

Hang in there. oh and did you stop your other abx while on the Cipro?

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Thanks lymetoo...I feel a little better, since you said that. It's probably bacterial...hopefully the cipro will kick in soon.

I am pretty careful about my diet...haven't had sugar is a long time. Only green apples and blueberries as far as fruit goes.

daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Thanks can't....I am drinking alot, and peeing alot. I guess the culture would show yeast if that were the culprit.

The Cipro dosage is 500 2x a day, for 5 days. I thought UTI bacteria was affected pretty quickly by abx. I guess my system is such mess from all these abx.

I did stop my other abx, and had stopped them for 6 days before I felt the UTI symptoms. I was going after yeast, pulsing my abx 2 weeks on/off.

Hopefully tomorrow I will get over the hump. I am resting, but what else is new, right?

Thanks again

beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a uti while on bactrim, but it was a type not sensitive to bactrim-had to take macrobid. I had them pre-lyme-so can't blame lyme.

I'm not sure D-mannose works for enteroccus type bacteria

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement