LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zith abx question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zith abx question
rpersi
Member # 23958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rpersi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was tested and diagnosed with classic lyme three weeks from a tick bite back in July 2009.

My symptoms became worse from an idiot neurologist who prescribed 3 Medrol packs in a two month span who wanted to treat my headaches. I found a good LLMD and am on the right track. No issue with me.

However, a friend of mine hiking that same July day was also bit. I encouraged him to get checked out after discovering my diagnosis a few weeks ago. I did not know he was also having similar pre-steroid symptoms as me such as headache, neck pain, anxiety, and lethargy.

He called me yesterday and said he tested positive for Lyme. He said he was not worried because his PCP prescribed a 10 day Zithro prescription and would be fine. I told him to get the blood work results and get an LLMD. That is not enough abx to get rid of it after being bit six months ago.

Can someone chime in and help me convince him to get an LLMD? Money is not an issue for my friend but he really respects the opinion of his PCP.

Posts: 16 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats ridiculous... 10 days even for a new bite is illogical. Have your friend READ the guidelines, link below.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you know 10 days is not enough and Dr. B's guidelines say that zith is not a stand alone treatment for Lyme. Please send him to the ILADS site, there are treatment guidelines there. Also www.underourskin.com has a movie trailer that really gives a good idea of why there is such controversy.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel Zith did very little for me. Doxy is my

winner. You might also show him the IDSA

investigation of how they continue to make people

stay sick when it is known 30 days won't cure.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
95% of PCP's know nothing about Lyme. Period. They know what they are TOLD and that is it.

Those doctors in the trenches of Lyme treatment know that it is a very difficult disease to treat once a month or so goes by. In some cases, even a few weeks without antibiotics will lead to a difficult case.

Zithromax is NOT the first drug of choice for Lyme. It's doxycycline. ONE reason is that doxy will also help kill ehrlichia, a common coinfection of Lyme.

Best to be seen by a dr who knows what he/she is doing. Your friend could have one or MORE coinfections and they all require different medications to get rid of them. (except ehrlichia)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANYONE who says to use Zithromax for Lyme is an IDIOT period. RUN RUN RUN. Anyone who says only 10 days is even moreso.

I don't know why these docs and even LLMDs won't read what the honored Dr. B says about Zithromax - it's ineffective orally.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My little one see's a well known LLMD & he gave him zith and omnicef for his lyme. My son has improved greatly on this.... So well in fact, that in May (after one year of treatment) I plan on having him stop. Won't lie, long-term antibiotics make me nervous.

I believe my son will be ok...

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
ANYONE who says to use Zithromax for Lyme is an IDIOT period. RUN RUN RUN. Anyone who says only 10 days is even moreso.

I don't know why these docs and even LLMDs won't read what the honored Dr. B says about Zithromax - it's ineffective orally.

my LLMD who has been treating lyme for over 10 years has me currently on 500mg zith only. [confused]

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it does help a few people, but I think monotherapy with Zithromax for Lyme is weak. Just my opinion. If it works for you, that's all that matters. I have to believe if Dr. B, who was by far the best LLMD in the world, says it's not effective, it's not.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkYardWily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkYardWily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not saying i disagree with you

--------------------
sick since 9-09
igg, 18,23,41 reactive
igm, 41 reactive

Posts: 436 | From Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s0ngbird1962
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s0ngbird1962     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it depends on where you live. I recall the LLMD saying that certain antibiotics work better than others depending on what area you were infected in.

--------------------
Mom to a 5 year old lymie....
Taking it one day at a time.

Posts: 182 | From Ipswich, MA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then when the kid goes back to his PCP and he says "I'm still sick."

Guess what they tell him?

"You have post-Lyme syndrome. nothing we can do for ya. Sorry."

LULZ

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Junkyard.. Your dr has been treating lyme for at least 20 yrs... maybe more. I lost count.

Zith is often used with mepron or malarone or artemisinin for babesia. I don't think it's useless for Lyme patients.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Lymetoo, that's because it's used to prevent Mepron resistance, not for it's high effectiveness against Bb, right?
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please convince your friend that mainstream Md's are not trained in Lyme Disease. Tons of info at the link below might help.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pas
Member # 22416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. B. and others (Dr. S) talk about Zith being very effective when used IV. Just not as effective orally, that's all.

Apparently it can be effective for both Bb (in L/CWD-form) since it's a Macrolide, and can be used for Bartonella when combined with Doxy/Mino. Just usually requires longer treatment time than Levaquin for Bart.

It's also one of the first-choice abx for mycoplasma infections when combined with other meds.

Posts: 95 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is also recommended for children that doctors are afraid to give the more powerful drugs to. Zithro is not supposed to be effective against Bb but can be used in combination with other drugs for bart. The LLMDs know how to make a cocktail that will attack the various infections. I am taking zithro and bactrim for bartonella but that was my own recommendation to the GP. I hope to see an LLMD soon.

I hope you can talk some sense into your friend. Give him/her a copy of the book Cure Unknown (after you have read it). That explains everything.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would disagree about the zith not being effective. Biaxin works WAY better for me than zith, but keep in mind that zith is one of the two ingredients in Biaxin.

Both can kill the cell-wall deficient form of Bb, but I strongly agree with everyone else that it MUST be used as part of a combo treatment. I don't think it will do much, if anything at all, by itself (IMHO). And 10 days? Uh-uh, way way too short.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rpersi
Member # 23958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rpersi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all who replied. My friend has an LLMD appointment.
Posts: 16 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement