LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MCS - why do we get so sick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MCS - why do we get so sick
Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have MCS, and I have read many others do with lyme as well. I think Babesia is playing a role as well,

I have heard others have MCS that do not have lyme, have any others heard this?

I had Lyme/babesia about 10 years untreated then developed MCS, and then got treatment 7 years later, so I had Lyme/Babesia untreated 17 years.

I have MCS affect my breathing, but it also affects my brain, and it also makes me sometimes so sick, such as now, after being around Turpentine, which someone in this household used to clean their motorbike, and then I could smell it on them, I was soooo sick,

so insane almost from breathing it in,

why? does this happen, does anyone know the real answer?

Is is because of Lyme/affecting the brain or the actual nose?

I also know it is from Babesia, so it is still affecting the brain? I now also the lungs.

It is such a horror living with this, I hope one day it is gone completely,

Why do some with long term Lyme/Babesia not have MCS and others do? I have EMF too, and others dont, could it be a different strain of LYME?

I know for myself my light sensitivity and EMF was/is from Babesia,

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a combination of Lyme toxins, cell dysfunction, and nerve inflammation. Probably a

whole lot more involved too. Mine has gotten a lot better in treatment including the sudden severe

allergies. That caused asthma attacks. Hopefully yours will too.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a combination of Lyme toxins, cell dysfunction, and nerve inflammation. Probably a

whole lot more involved too. Mine has gotten a lot better in treatment including the sudden severe

allergies. That caused asthma attacks. Hopefully yours will too.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infection in the liver leaves us unable to filter toxins. When I treated my lyme my MCS went away and stayed away.

I always feel badly for all of these "CFS" patients who talk about terrible MCS. I have tried to convince many of them to treat the infections but now realize it is impossible to change their minds.

I was once diagnosed with CFS by a very famous CFS Dr. Guess he was wrong.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please get to a doc that does methylation pathways testing. This is the reason why we are different. That and KPU testing. We are genetically different and until our pathways are opened up we will continue to get reactions. Look into Vitamin Diagnostics tests but call them first as they have moved and have been behind in their testing.
Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - yes, there are lots of people with MCS who do not have Lyme. They can have toxin overload from many sources, plus have genetic difficulty detoxing. There are a lot of MCS chatsites.

Many of us have a difficult time detoxing genetically. What that means is we've gotten genes from our parents for liver detox pathways. If they are problem genes, we don't detox well.

There's a bloodtest we can take, the liver detoxigenomic test through Genova Diagnostics lab in NC. It shows the genes we received from each parent for the eight enzyme pathways in phase I of liver detox, and for four out of ten drains in phase II.

Phase I is like the bathtub fills up with water, and phase two is like how it drains or not.

Weak genes mean we fill up too fast and too much, and we don't drain sufficiently.

No bad gene - we handle that pathway ok. One bad one, still ok. It's the pathways where we have two weak genes that makes us weak in that pathway.

My LLMD who did the test with me said most MCS people have weak genes for the first two enzyme pathways in phase I, meaning we metabolize too quickly, respond too quickly to chemicals. And sure enough, there they were on my test.

Once you have your genetic profile, it can help a knowledgeable doctor figure out how to treat your pathways with supplements. Tht's what we're doing with me, altho it's slow-go here in terms of finding stuff I can handle.

I recall when I first started on antibiotics for Lyme, my chemical sensitivity did go down, such that I was able to stand next to a smoker for the first time without running. Now, that's not a great goal to have, mind you, but I was excited that something had changed.

Can't say that that's the case anymore. I am really sensitive now, even tho I've been taking abx for a while.

My opinion: that I simply find out what I respond best to for treatment.

So far, for example, antioxidant anti-inflammatories are working to reduce symptoms - mangosteen juice, noni juice, grapeseed extract. Also the PEMF magnet machine was amazing - pain down, energy up, etc.

So we're going to try to treat the missing pathways in me.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liver liver liver. Amen.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ericaf
Member # 10929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try the Pekana homeopathic detox and drainage kit. I have MCS and intolerance to most drugs and after 2 years of trying so many things and seeing doctors this is what worked and is making me improve. It helps balance the 2 phases of detoxification and helps regulate the immune system.
If you do try it start slow with only a few drops.

Posts: 81 | From Italy | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look at the Pekana products and read that there's alcohol in them. I know I don't handle alcohol. I guess you do, Erica?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious if those of you with MCS can handle abx/lyme treatment? I seem to crash from an intense herbal regiment (for 5 months) and now from pharmecuticals. I don't call it a herx since i go from functional to MAJOR/lasting neurological symptoms (MS-neuro like) to the point of not functioning/not sleeping and being terrified. Does anyone else have this experience. I am the 3rd month now of my pharmecutical crash and have to take a LOA(from my work at home job!!! it is so bad and scary). I'm being tested now for the liver detox/genova (at my request of my LLMD) and wonder if I should be tested for methylation as well. My history was FIRST MCS, then Fibromyalgia, then optic neuritis/neuro started 3 years ago. At this point I am deathly afraid of any lyme treatment since they make me so much more worse with lasting frightening symptoms.
Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

That herxing is common in Lyme treatment. It is

something most go through. It is not fun, can make

you very sick, and can require support if not

conducted properly. Hence we have LLMD's to help

with those issues. I have gotten a lot better

pain wise, to the point I don't know how I ever

tolerated what I did. But I did, and I keep

moving forward.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

ericaf
Member # 10929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tolerate the pekana drops if I put them in a loarge cup of water. I usually don't do well with alcohol either but by increasing the amount of water I do ok.
Posts: 81 | From Italy | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
f13girl, I can completely relate. I can't tolerate lyme treatment. I'm usually in the ER fearing that I'm going to die on day 2 of it. My neurological symptoms go insane, just like you described, to the point where it affects other organs like my heart, breathing, etc.

Anyone else have MCS so bad that they can't leave the house, or have anyone over to their house? I always hear of people getting headaches due to MCS or breathing issues...but I don't hear of a lot of other people with the neurological involvement like I have (and like f13girl described). It literally starts to shut down systems in my body, to the point where I can't stand up anymore and feel like I'm about to lose consciousness.

I have to second the recommendation for pekana products. They help me a little bit too, and I'm also the type that can't handle anything. I can't handle the alcohol in them, so I burn it off (boil water, put your drops in a glass, then pour the boiling water over them into the glass). Maybe you could ask your doctor about which ones would be best for you, since our bodies all require different things. The great thing about that line is that there's something for almost every ailment.

It's interesting that you think yours is related to babesia. I think mine is related to mold and fungus. I guess everyone is right though, it just depends on what is making your liver and body so toxic.

It's good to hear about this here, because it's an extremely disabling, debilitating, isolating condition.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree thta its toxdic overload for me. I think a big contributer to thiis for me is babs.

Still trying to figure out how to detox the babs better... or perhaps what i am really looking for is faster.

For anyone that doesnt know we have a mcs group on lymefriends.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree thta its toxdic overload for me. I think a big contributer to thiis for me is babs.

Still trying to figure out how to detox the babs better... or perhaps what i am really looking for is faster.

For anyone that doesnt know we have a mcs group on lymefriends.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

f13, it's very hard for us to treat, since we're oversensitive. I hardly pass anything. I seem to do best with antioxidant anti-inflammatories. We each have to find what we can do.

The Genova liver detox test includes the methylation pathway test as one of four tested in phase II.

f13girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for f13girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped the drugs Dec 13 and continued downward spiral of neuro explosion (twiching, jerking, swallowing,total insomnia, speaking, neck jerking, dizzy/ill/pressure feeling, eye pain (i have optic neuritis), weak , shaky, coordination issues etc. I don't see how this could be a herx if it is now going on 2 months since I stopped the medication? I was functional before, now I'm not and feel like I have a major neuro disease where as before I had some minor jerking and twitching, brain fog but was functioning. Now I feel like I have a major neuro diesease... is this a herx or a aI flare? If it's herxing I don' think I'm up to this kind of treatment. Feel like it is causing damage to my nervous system! Would love to hear from others on this topic. I'm trying to focus right now on detox,getting sleeping, and seeif I can recover out of this neuro hell i'm in and then decide next steps for treatment.
Posts: 200 | From New England | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankeesfan
Member # 23090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankeesfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I think the LLMD's have no idea what they are doing. I think alot of us here try taking drugs and supplements and because we have methylation issues we become even sicker. We are told it is a herx.

I stopped all drugs and supplements. I have now returned to work - before I was bed ridden. I have positive labs for lyme, babesia and erlichia from Igenex and positive smear from Fry. I have never been bitten by a tick.

I was told from here that I had to take drugs to get rid of these bugs and for a year I was so sick. I lost 50 lbs and could not function.

I am still sick - but not like I was when I was trying to treat lyme. For all I know I have it. But what is "it," and what is really causing the problem/s?

If you are reading this and were told you had lyme and are incredibly sick after trying drugs and supplements I would consider focusing on some new theories and treatments. If you want to PM me I can tell you what I have done for the past 4 months and give you an update on how I am doing and still what my issues are.

Posts: 9 | From usa | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement