LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Krill or fish oil- which is better?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Krill or fish oil- which is better?
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is better?

I've been on Omega 3 fish oil for a while, but read some stuff about the Krill oil being better as an anti-inflammatory plus less toxins involved (mercury and such- lower on the food chain).

Does anyone have an opinion about which is best?

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither may not be good for you. Because according to some people, the Omega-3 derivatives that are found in industrially processed fish oil supplements can be bad for your health.

http://www.beyondfishoil.com/peos.htm

Dr. Gregory Ellis on fish oil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6R6w5DE5z4

Professor Brian Peskin on fish oil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By8icw-ua8g

Even Dr. Mercola seems to be having second thoughts about his Omega-3 recommendations:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/05/12/Is-Omega-6-More-Important-Than-Omega-3.aspx

Ray Peat on fish oil:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

Chris Masterjohn on fatty acids.....EPA from fish oil may not be all that essential to humans:

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/PUFA-Special-Report.html

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I switched to krill and do think it works better- of course when you have a bunch of symptoms it's always hard to say

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studied this recently and found Krill oil being fairly new to the market doesn't have any solid studies to compare.

I have found Omega XL's are the best for me.

Salmon oil omega's are good too.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure why, but I find that I'm allergic to krill oil. Tested multiple brands too.

I generally find that high-DHA fish oils work best for me.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krill oil may not be a good idea if you are copper-heavy already, as some Lymies are: I stopped it for that reason and because I didn't notice any difference in pain levels.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take one or two a week moderation

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcarry:
Krill oil may not be a good idea if you are copper-heavy already, as some Lymies are: I stopped it for that reason and because I didn't notice any difference in pain levels.

Krill oil contains large amounts of copper?

I take a little krill oil + fish oil. Just not aware of any copper issues with krill.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krill Oil doesn't have nearly the amount of EPA/DHA per capsule that good fish oil does. However, it does have anasthaxin, an antioxidant found in "red" seafood that actually gives it its color. I would suggest taking them both, for different reasons.

I think its a little funny how so many people have turned their opinion of fish oil as soon as it became mainstream, especially "experts" that used to be "the only ones with the secret", and have moved onto a new wonder-substance now that fish oil is well known.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wowzahs, ya'll are great! Thanks a lot for the input!

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting story in the news today about fish oil:

Fish oils 'beat mental illness'

Taking a daily fish oil capsule can stave off mental illness in those at highest risk, trial findings suggest.

A three-month course of the supplement appeared to be as effective as drugs, cutting the rate of psychotic illness like schizophrenia by a quarter.

The researchers believe it is the omega-3 in fish oil - already hailed for promoting healthy hearts - that has beneficial effects in the brain.

A "natural" remedy would be welcomed, Archives of General Psychiatry says.

"The finding that treatment with a natural substance may prevent, or at least delay, the onset of psychotic disorder gives hope that there may be alternatives to antipsychotic drugs," the study authors said.

`` If young people can be treated successfully with fish oils, this is hugely preferable to treating them with antipsychotics ''
Alison Cobb Mind

Antipsychotic drugs are potent and can have serious side effects, which puts some people off taking them.

Fish oil supplements, on the other hand, are generally well tolerated and easy to take, say the scientists.

The international team from Austria, Australia and Switzerland tested the treatment in 81 people deemed to be at particularly high risk of developing psychosis.

Natural choice

Their high risk was down to a strong family history of schizophrenia, or similar disorders, or them already showing mild symptoms of these conditions themselves.

For the test, half of the individuals took fish oil supplements (1.2 grams of omega-3 fatty acids) for 12 weeks, while the other half took only a dummy pill. Neither group knew which treatment they were receiving.

Dr Paul Amminger and his team followed the groups for a year to see how many, if any, went on to develop illness.

Two in the fish oil group developed a psychotic disorder compared to 11 in the placebo group.

Based on the results, the investigators estimate that one high-risk adult could be protected from developing psychosis for every four treated over a year.

They believe the omega-3 fatty acids found in the supplements may alter brain signalling in the brain with beneficial effects.

Alison Cobb, of the mental health charity Mind, said: "If young people can be treated successfully with fish oils, this is hugely preferable to treating them with antipsychotics, which come with a range of problems from weight gain to sexual dysfunction, whereas omega-3s are actually beneficial to their general state of health.

"These are promising results and more research is needed to show if omega-3s could be an alternative to antipsychotics in the long term."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/8490937.stm

Published: 2010/02/02 00:02:02 GMT

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take krill oil--Marine Omega--recommended by Dr. B.
I had arsenic poisoning this past spring (which was prior to diagnosis or treatment of lyme). My levels returned to normal after a month or two completely avoiding all seafood. (Not sure if imported non-organic rice may have contributed or not.)
I still have pain so I have no way of knowing if the krill is helping or not. Maybe it would be worse if I didn't take it.

Not really worth it for me to ingest things that might add heavy metals to my burden.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re copper, seafood is a good source of dietary copper and is therefore not encouraged if you are already copper-heavy.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement