LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Opinions on Whether to Stop ABX

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Opinions on Whether to Stop ABX
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so confused. I know I sound like a broken record here, but please help if you can. This is lengthy, so don't bother if you don't have time.

I am still treating a tick bite I got at the end of May 2009. Started abx 5 weeks later. Had a couple of herx that included severe depression & anxiety.

After one month on abx, felt completely symptom free for nearly 2 months.

New symptoms started that included extreme body burning and stomach and chest burning. LLMD said it was a herx and to stay on meds. It has all been downhill from there.

The past three months my hips hurt, soles of feet are sore, ribs are sore and body is on fire.

Ended up in hospital in Dec. from stomach problems. Went off abx, but on day 15, flu symptoms returned. I got scared and went back on abx. Could the flu symptoms have been my immune system trying to kick in?

When I re-started doxy, I had what I thought was a small herx.

Then, 10 days ago I started treating bart because thought symptoms could be that. LabCorp test was negative. I did ok the first week at 300mg rifampin (once a day) & 500mg Ceftin (twice a day). I am no longer sure if symptoms are herx, or abx. I ached a little for a few days. Now, my stomach is burning more than ever and so is my body.

I have also been battling yeast for several months.

I feel like my body is screaming....no more!

At this point, should I tough it out for at least a month to see if rifampin improves anything or does my body need a break from abx? My main symptoms are sore hips and feet and horrific body burning. Could this be toxins that my body has from the abx?

I am sorry for being so lengthy. I know I need to call my LLMD, but he is so busy I hate to bother him. He is pretty open to whatever I decide to do.

Thank you for all your help and understanding.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jennie,
My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry you are having so much trouble.

Mind you,this is just my opinion so please listen to others more qualified than me.

I personally believe in listening to your body...that is why I kept pushing forward to find out what was wrong with me last year.

I was FINALLY diag. April 2009.

But,(Again just MY opinion) It sounds like you are STILL battleing with Lyme and/or co infections.

I personally have struggled with having to take so many abx. and we (LLMD) have had to change my combinations several times (no 1 size fits all)

It sounds like the 5 weeks abx helped but obviously wasn't enough.

Please if possible try to continue treament as I feel like it would benefit you in the long run.

I still am having a lot of symptoms etc (which includes the burning you have, which started during treament) but I have no doubt I'm still in a better place than I would have been without treatment.

Have you been on Bactrim? I seemed to tolerate that quite well.

Also I just started Rifamipin a little over 2 weeks ago.. and I must say I didnt like it..still not thrilled but I chose to stick it out and side effects, herx or what ever you want to call them have seemed to finally level out some.

Bottom line, follow your heart and instincts. It's good you have a LLMD to help guide you.

Good luck and God Bless. I'll be praying for you.

Karen

[Smile]

P.S. I have bart also, even though my lab corp test was positive we all know your neg test doesn't mean it is actually negative.

I DIDNT need a positive result to convince me I just knew from the MASSIVE symptoms.

It sounds like you are really having a time with yeast...perhaps you could try going off abx until you get yeast under control and then trying again?? Just a thought

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie, what detox protocols are you using daily? You really haven't been at the abx that long.

True some people can handle much better than others. But I would guess your body needs alot of support with the abx usage.

Many with the yeast problems have had to completely change their diets. Completely.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karen MC....

Just to clarify, I have been on abx for 7 months. I started abx treatment 5 weeks after the bite.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by map1131:
jennie, what detox protocols are you using daily? You really haven't been at the abx that long.

True some people can handle much better than others. But I would guess your body needs alot of support with the abx usage.

Many with the yeast problems have had to completely change their diets. Completely.

Pam

I have been on abx for 7 months.

Daily detoxing includes green tea and lemon water. I really need suggestions as to what I could add for detox.

[ 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: jennie46 ]

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie, I've been in the same boat as you. I stopped all abx for a week to see how I would feel. Its so hard to tell what are side effects and what are symptoms.

I think some times our bodies just need a break.

Have you thought about going to herbals?

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sore feet can be from a sluggish lymphatic system. Red Root tincture is something Buhner recommends for that. Start slowly. Maybe lymphatic drainage massages or rebounding would help, too. Move around a bit each day even if it's only walking.

I would also implement other detox measures. Water, coffee enemas, whey protein, burbur, parsley, etc.

I would treat that yeast. Many of the symptoms could be from yeast.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely treat the yeast and make sure your diet is clean .. no sugar, fruit, juices, white foods.

Sure sounds like bart to me, but I'll defer to others on that.

Which abx started the burning?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by txgirl09:
jennie, I've been in the same boat as you. I stopped all abx for a week to see how I would feel. Its so hard to tell what are side effects and what are symptoms.

I think some times our bodies just need a break.

Have you thought about going to herbals?

I have not really thought about herbals. I am seriously thinking about getting a rife machine.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:
Sore feet can be from a sluggish lymphatic system. Red Root tincture is something Buhner recommends for that. Start slowly. Maybe lymphatic drainage massages or rebounding would help, too. Move around a bit each day even if it's only walking.

I would also implement other detox measures. Water, coffee enemas, whey protein, burbur, parsley, etc.

I would treat that yeast. Many of the symptoms could be from yeast.

My LLMD will only prescribe 10 Diflucan pills at a time. I can't really find anyting that works.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Definitely treat the yeast and make sure your diet is clean .. no sugar, fruit, juices, white foods.

Sure sounds like bart to me, but I'll defer to others on that.

Which abx started the burning?

I am trying on the diet. I just lose so much weight trying to eat no white foods. I plan on starting oil pulling in a couple of days after I find the right oil in hopes of helping the yeast.

Burning started on Ceftin, but has continued even after switching to other abx. I am now back on Ceftin along with rifampin. I will give the rifampin a few more weeks and see how I do.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a prescription for Nystatin? A good preventative, but also kills yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking freeze dried garlic after meals has helped me to keep yeast at bay; also NOW vitamins has a good anti-yeast combination with oregano and caprylic acid that helps.

Ask your doctor for liquid nystatin, which I don't actually swallow, just swish it around if necessary. But none of these anti-yeast items would be necessary for me without all the times I eat ice cream and sugar - sticking to the anti-yeast diet alone would be enough!

If you must give up the rifampin, perhaps you should keep taking ceftin longer? Or combine with other abx like bicillin? Just some thoughts as you need to discuss this with your doctor.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much milk thistle are you taking?

Rifampin and Diflucan (which BTW conflict with each other) are both extremely hard on the liver.

Could be yeast, which you know about. Oil of oregano, capryllic acid, grapefruit seed extract, all are herbal and tough on yeast.

But at this point you're probably toxic and need some help getting the garbage out too. Milk thistle is a must. Infrared Sauna... Foot detox patches (www.podipatch.com), as suggested lymphatic massage, rebounding (mini-trampoline - they rock! www.needak.com)

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie, rife is no easy road dear. If you have a toxic body, in fact rife can add to your misery.

Killing toxic matter(s) with rife and you not doing heavy duty detoxing is not fun. Been there done that.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
How much milk thistle are you taking?

Rifampin and Diflucan (which BTW conflict with each other) are both extremely hard on the liver.

Could be yeast, which you know about. Oil of oregano, capryllic acid, grapefruit seed extract, all are herbal and tough on yeast.

But at this point you're probably toxic and need some help getting the garbage out too. Milk thistle is a must. Infrared Sauna... Foot detox patches (www.podipatch.com), as suggested lymphatic massage, rebounding (mini-trampoline - they rock! www.needak.com)

I take 175mg milk thistle, as suggested in Dr. B guidelines.

I will buy capryllic acid...what dosage should I take? Would coconut oil work better?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd try upping the milk thistle - as I was just reminded by my dr, you can't take too much milk thistle. Your body takes what it needs and gets rid of the rest.

Shoot - I don't know recommended on capryllic acid. I do oil of oregano and grapefruit seed extract and diflucan (as needed). I'm sure the other yeast sufferers will chime in.

Also, perhaps try getting a detox foot bath. Was just reminded of them lately by gmb's post from the clinic.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement