LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Isn't it very dangerous to be on long term abx? I was reading

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Isn't it very dangerous to be on long term abx? I was reading
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that you can have bone marrow damage, liver damage, and develop strains of resistant bacteria. So if you get some other kind of illness in the future, your body will not respond to abx. I'm scared :/

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - this is why I stopped after 9 months.

The abx didn't seem to help in my case. It's kind of funny how in Lyme-world "alternative" means taking alot of drugs...

I don't advocate that people do what I do but they just weren't helping me. I found that there are alot of alternatives to abx...

Also, the side effects of abx are the same as the symptoms of Lyme & co-infections.

I felt that if we have to treat this for a long time, I might as well use something that was less harmful to the body. I wouldn't mind doing a short course of abx - I just don't like the idea of using them for a long period of time.

So many people relapse...

This is just my opinion.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one am not worried about "other kinds of illness in the future."

My future is now. I'm worried about Lyme.

Liver Damage? Ehhh the liver is an amazing organ. Has the ability to be beaten down and get back up again.

Good LLMD will stay on top of your liver enzymes.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that everyone needs to take the risks seriously. Look at the cost vs. the benefit of using the abx. Typically, it seems the quality of life of a typical Lyme patient justifies the use of abx.

Each person needs to make that decision independently.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you don't treat lyme, you won't have a future to worry about.

There are also many ways to help support the body during treatment. Most LLMDs insist on a multi-level support system and demand excellent self-care. This all matters tremendously in helping treatment both work and be as safe as possible.

There are also other avenues that one can take but ignoring the spirochete is not an option if you want a life.

Do you have a good LLMD yet?

What books or authors' works have you read? Do you need more information? If so, consider all below as you consider your options. If not, just pass it on by.

===========================

Lyme's toxin has similar properties to one of the most toxic infections known to man - botulism. Botulism can be deadly faster than lyme but lyme can also be fatal if not treated.

www.townsendletter.com/FebMar2006/lyme0206.htm

From the Townsend Letter for Doctors & Patients, February/March 2006

BIOCHEMISTRY OF LYME DISEASE: BORRELIA BURGDORFERI SPIROCHETE / CYST

by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allen

Excerpt:

A discovery of great importance relating to a toxin produced by the causative agent of Lyme disease, Borrelia burgdorferi, has been linked to a similar toxin produced by the organism Clostridium botulinum (botulism). . . .

- full article at link (with a note of caution about the mention of bismuth. While this is an excellent article for so many reasons, it it important to not that some bismuth treatments can be dangerous, even fatal. Still, this articles holds so much good detail that it is valuable to your library - with this note of caution.)

===================

This is want you want to avoid from happening:

www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/40

Persisting atypical and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi and local inflammation in Lyme neuroborreliosis

This article has much attention on both lyme and Cpn:

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php?num=64y3rv

(then clink "PROCEED TO THIS SITE")

May 2008 Volume 39 Number 5 LABMEDICINE
www.labmedicine.com - American Society for Clinical Pathology

CHRONIC BACTERIAL AND VIRAL INFECTIONS IN NEURODEGENERATIVE AND NEUROBEHAVIORAL DISEASES

- by Garth Nicolson, Ph.D.

===============================

This explains WHY you need an ILADS LLMD or ILADS LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide treatment.

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" - 2007

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . .

- Full article at link above.

Links to treatment:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/treatment_guidelines.html

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

2009 ILADS Lyme Disease Conference CD-ROM

==================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

-------

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

============================

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/Lymewhat_is_it_part_3,_LIA.pdf

LYME DISEASE Considerations in Diagnosis and Management

June 26, 2008 Lyme-autism Connection Conference

Steven Harris, MD

125 pages - Powerpoint presentation

==================

http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/LymeProtocolOct09.pdf

A Treatment Guide: Lyme and other Chronic Infections

by Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, PhD

October 2009 - 87 pages

====================

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

========================

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Book: Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

website: http://planetthrive.com/2009/08/buhner-healing-lyme-program/

-----

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86857

Topic: Buhner Healing Lyme Q & A links have changed

================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

================

www.lyme-disease-research-database.com/lymenutritionfile1_files/Integrated-Approach-DAN.pdf

HEALING LYME DISEASE: An Integrated Approach to Curing Chronic Infection

Daniel A. Kinderlehrer, M.D. (2004)

============================

This author is also an ILADS member & a LL ND author:

http://www.dancingviolets.com/media/pdf/LymeDisease.pdf

Chronic Lyme Disease and Co-infections: Clinical Overview

======================

Similar approach, from another ILADS-member/ND author:

http://www.steveclarknd.com/LymeDisease.htm

Your Path to Wellness

RIFE

http://www.lymebook.com/lyme-disease-rife-machines-bryan-rosner

Book: Lyme Disease and Rife Machines by Bryan Rosner

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler: I have a llmd that was recommended to me on this site. Dr. M in nyc.. I have read lots of information including Dr. B's guidelines. I just got my positive igenex test Friday so I am still sorting through all my thoughts. It's very hard.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics can do damage to your body. For me it's worth the risk.

Living with Lyme is really not living. If people can treat with natural methods and feel better I am truly happy for them.

I have to have abx to have any sort of sanity. Having said that, I also treat my body with more respect than I ever have. I exercise and eat highly nutritious foods.

If you have a good LLMD you should find your way back to health with minimal to no damage.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long-term abx saved my life from serious disability and disease. Fortunately, my liver is fine, bone marrow and blood readings are fine, and my health has returned from use of antibiotics.

There are many different types of abx, and they can act on your body differently. Haley above says it well, if you have a good llmd you should be able to have effective treatment with minimal or no damage.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
BackinStOlaf ,

I am glad to hear you have a good LLMD and so sorry about the test - but you have information and a good doctor you can assess your clinical status . . . so since I'm pretty much action oriented, I just go for solutions.

Just remember that very specific LIVER support and ADRENAL support are both absolutely essential elements to any treatment you choose. Avoiding as many other pharmaceuticals as possible (and even most OTC pain meds) is also important to help your liver and your kidneys.

Some abx can be very hard on the ears, even toxic to the ears. Some people do better than others but even with those more prone to ear problems, LIVER support can also help protect your ears. As well, if one kind of abx causes problems, there are other choices.

Being gluten-free is also extremely important to success for many reasons too numerous to detail here. If applicable, treating heavy metals, too, is vital.

Many have succeeded but no path is easy and nothing works for everyone all time (especially as coinfections vary). It's all an art, for sure, as much as a science.

Good luck.

==================

Here's more more note from a CAP (combined antibiotic protocol) tx for Cpn, a similar treatment to that of chronic lyme:

http://www.cpnhelp.org/liverprotection

Dr. Stratton Cautions on Protecting the Liver

. . . "Surprisingly, the only anti-chlamydial agent that did not cause hepatitis in some patients was NAC. In fact, NAC is recognized as being protective.

. . .

My conclusion is that NAC should be the first agent in an anti-chlamydial regimen and should be a constant part of the therapy for this protective effect, not to mention it's effect against elementary bodies.

. . . more at link above.-

======================

3/4 of the way down page one - many links to LIVER support options:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

=======================

As many sleep meds are very hard on the liver:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

-

[ 02-07-2010, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To BackinStO,

With a good lyme doc, you are not going to get liver damage. They test your liver frequently throughout the treatment. To not do so would be to open themselves up to an easy malpractice suit. If your liver enzymes begin to elevate, they know what to do. If need be, you stop treatment before you ever get into the danger zone. So, no need to worry. A lyme doc is on top of the liver at all times.

I have never heard of any lyme patient getting bone marrow damage either, and I have been around here for quite a few years--at least 7, talking with many, many lymies on line and in person and on the phone. People call me from all over. If you want to explain how that damage supposedly occurs, I will tell you what I know about it.

Regarding developing strains of resistant bacteria so that if you get some other kind of illness in the future, your body will not respond to antibiotics, I will tell you what my lyme doctor said about that.

He said that the only time a person has to worry about the body not responding to antibiotics is if they contract a disease in the future that has only one antibiotic that can treat it. If anyone (not just lyme patients) has that case, there could be a problem. However, the meds used to treat lyme and coinfections are common meds and do not include any meds that are the exclusive cure for any particular disease. So, the scenario being described will never happen as a result of lyme and coinfection treatment with long-term antibiotics.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but there are doctors who are trying to scare patients into not taking long-term antibiotic therapy for lyme disease. They have really taken a stand against our lyme doctors' way of treating us and they are waging an all-out war against them using every means possible.

Perhaps that is where this talk comes from. I have absolutely no fear of any such thing. I discussed it with my doc. I suggest you discuss it with your lyme doc also.

When I had lyme disease, life was unbearable. There were days when I would have shot myself if a gun were available. I suffered terribly for 5 years. A person can only take so much pain and suffering before wanting to end it.

Now, it has been nearly 5 years since I completed my lyme treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life--the same life I had before lyme disease.

I am very healthy for my age and rarely get sick. I have no serious medical conditions. I don't take any meds on a regular basis except hormone replacement. I have had no negative effects from my over 3 years of continuously taking antibiotics. Neither have any of my friends who also got rid of their lyme disease.

As Burrascano points out in his guidelines, long-term antibiotics are used to treat many illnesses including tuberculosis, rheumatic fever, and acne. (Kids are on antibiotics for acne for years. Huh?) I myself took antibiotics for rheumatic fever from second grade until ninth grade. It was continuously for a few years. Then, as needed after that. Nobody thought anything dangerous was being done to me.

To quote Burrascano:

"Remember, years of experience with chronic antibiotic therapy in other conditions, including rheumatic fever, acne, gingivitis, recurrent otitis, recurrent cystitis, COPD, bronchiectasis, and others have not revealed any consistent dire consequences as a result of such medication use. Indeed, the very real consequences of untreated, chronic persistent infection by B. burgdorferi can be far worse than the potential consequences of this treatment." (p.22, Guidelines)

Just want to say there is another side to what you have read and it makes very good sense. I think you will decide to discard what you have read if you look into the truth about lyme disease treatment.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people have lost their gall bladders due to abx. Some have also gotten very difficult intestinal issues.

I was ill for over 9 years. I didn't have any money left after I went to the Fibromyalgia & Fatigue Center for lots of LLMDs, tests, drugs, etc.

So, in my case, the herbs made more sense. If you catch it early & have money for doctors & tests - it may be a worthwhile way to go to use drugs.

I didn't want to stop & start abx treatment due to severe side effects & lack of funds to keep trying new ones. It got to a point where my side effects became worse than the illness.

Like I said, I don't advocate that people do what I do. There are alot of people who have had severe side effects from long term abx usage. You do have to be cautious.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that the benefit out weighs the risk. I can't worry about illnesses that may or may not come down the road. I am ill NOW.

Everyone has to travel their own journey of treatment and recovery. My personal opinion is that a bacterial infection has to be addressed with antibiotics.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I forgot to mention not only the importance of Probiotics but also OLE (Olive Leaf Extract) to help keep candida from even developing in the first place. Very important to prevent candida if possible. OLE was a miracle for me. Wish I had known of it many years ago.

-

massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my training I was taught that liver enzymes do not show high until your liver is pretty messed up.

So checking enzymes is not a good way to moniter the liver.

I can give a sad example if you want to hear it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vermont_Lymie:
Long-term abx saved my life from serious disability and disease. Fortunately, my liver is fine, bone marrow and blood readings are fine, and my health has returned from use of antibiotics.

Ditto for me. I was on abx for 4 yrs straight and never once had high liver enzymes.

Life with Lyme is NOT one you want. It only gets worse with time.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its good to make the distinction between oral abx and IV abx.

Long term Iv abx (more than 6 months) do carry risks.

But I ahve to tell you after five years of absolute misery, I wish to hell I could afford IV. I would rather be dead than go on like this.

Lyme can damage your body a lot more seriously than oral abx. IT can cause permanent damage to your heart, or nervous system. The key is to have a good doctor who has experience with treating long term abx.

It is true that some people seem to be much more tolerant of abx than others. The key is to carefully monitor your progress to find out how you, persoanlly, will tolerate them. You and your LLMD will need to track progress and side effects carefully. For my part, the amount of orals I have taken over the last three years is astonding , and I have not even had a yeast infection (unfortunateily for me, I really need the IV to get over the hump, and I can't afford it). I try to go off the orals, and I tank fast. Although not enough to actually kill me. I am sorry to sound so "soom and gloom", but it is excurraitingly painful disease for me, and it could have been avoided if I had been more aggressive in treating it up front. I was initally resistant to teh idea of lyme...

There are many examples of other people with other diseases (COPD, AIDS, TB, arthritis etc) that take oral abx long term (several years), and there is almost no track record of problems with those patients.

You'll need to do research on different drugs. Some drugs are hard on the liver (ketek, for example). Some are harder on your kidneys (ceftin for example). Some drugs are processed in your large intestine and are much easier on your organx systems (like doxycyline), but they can cause problems for your colon.

And then of course, you have to keep in mind that everyone responds differently, and what might work best might be hard on your liver.

Anyway, just my thoughts, talk to your do...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most who get well (and were really, really sick) got well sticking to long term tx w/abx. Including my 20 yr old son, (who is now off all abx) healthy and strong as ever since treating w/long term abx.

If you are sick w/a disease whether it be diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., it needs to be treated and every drug has risks, walking across the street is a risk too. Truly, everything is a risk.

Lyme is a destroyer. The risk of abx IMO doesn't even compare.

Lyme can cause liver damage, heart damage, brain lesions, nerve damage and on and on and on.

It is up to each of us to decide for ourselves how to treat...but make sure to really study Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria and its virulence, totally understand what you are up against.

This is quote is food for thought from the Georgia LD Assoc. regarding Borrelia burgdorferi:".....touted as one of the most complex organisms ever to be studied by man".

I have been on abx long term, no damage from the abx has occured, liver is fine, etc.

"Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first." ~ Frederick B. Wilcox

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Does everyone here assume that if your liver is not good you will have pain ?

You can have severe liver compromise and your liver enzymes will appear "normal " !
[woohoo]

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I've never heard of folks here with high liver counts complain of liver pain.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had high liver numbers, but have not had liver pain per say.

I know a lot of people that have high numbers with no pain.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

So...does no pain = healthy ?
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will not recover without antibiotics. Listen to your LLMD.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massman, please tell me more. I'm very interested.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think that just because one has no pain that you necessarily have a good liver. I think it can cut both ways.

I do think the numbers important, but like you said, your liver might be messed up with the numbers being in the acceptable range or vice versa.

The doctors should test us frequently to make sure our liver numbers are acceptable. Of course if someone is having pain they should report it and possibly do an ultra sound etc....

I have not had liver pain, but have had elevated numbers and my ultra sound came back okay. I think we just need to watch things.

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Re: You will not recover without antibiotics.

-----

In my mind, this is inaccurate. There are alternatives-

http://planetthrive.com/2009/11/healing-lyme/

Healing lyme?
with Stephen Harrod Buhner, master herbalist

Dear Stephen,

Your book is called Healing Lyme. Does this mean you can be completely healed of chronic lyme from your protocol?

I have been very ill and bedridden for almost 2 years with no help from antibiotics. I have recently started looking into and trying herbs and also a raw food diet with juicing.

I have started to feel better after 2 years of 24/7 suffering and ready to give up. BUT I am on a mission to completely heal that is my ultimate goal and I will not give up until I reach that goal.

So, can you HEAL lyme with your protocol or does it just suppress symptoms? I have read of people becoming symptomatic again after stopping your protocol. Thank you!

Stephen's response:

From what I have seen over the past years about 70-80% of people clear it completely using the protocol, 10-20% continue to need some sort of supportive protocol, that is, the symptoms are gone while on it but return to some extent if it is discontinued completely, and about 5-10% don't respond to the protocol.

______

In my experience, the herbal remedies I have tried have been just as strong as abx. I herxed tremendously from Nutramedix Quina & Cumanda - if that's any indication that something is working. There are other herbal supplements that made me herx alot.

I'm not in the mind set to argue but there are alternatives to the drugs.

The main thing is knowing what you are treating. If the tests are barely accurate & there are pathogens that probably haven't even been discovered yet - how do we know what to treat.

The liver is one organ in the body. There are other places in the body that can be effected by drug related side effects.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement