LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Having mild chest pain every so often

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having mild chest pain every so often
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
started in early january before I got my dx even though Lyme was suspected.

went to cardiologist and EKG was normal

what could be causing this?

sometimes it happens on the right side of my chest as well.

I also have muscle pains in my legs.

Waiting to speak to my LLMD today.
It's so scary to feel chest pain.

\

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have chest pain also. To boot, I have PAC's and PVC's every day, so having chest pain at the same time can be disconcerting.

I have had the whole cardiac work-up and I'm told not to worry about it. Sometimes it mild pain for me, and other times is can be stabbing / sharp.

The simple copout, and it's probably true in some cases, is you have chest wall inflammation. I'm not always sold on this, especially for my platter of symptoms.

Maybe I'm not educated enough on the subject. My guess is the chest pain is nerve-related since Lyme and its co-infections like to mess with our nerves. I'm not sure that chest wall inflammation is nerve-related.

Pain is generally an inflammation of some type. Having it in the chest could be the chest wall, but maybe it's organ-related also.

Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chest pain was one of my worst initial symptoms. In fact, I went to the ER for it once. And I've never been to the ER before. They told me nothing was wrong with my heart.

Before being diagnosed with Lyme Disease. I was told by a rheumotologist that it was costochondritis (not sure if I spelled that correctly). Any how, it's just means inflamation of the muscle tissue on the chest.

Later I was diagnosed with Lyme, and my LLMD told me it was a common sympton of Lyme Disease. My chest pain still comes and goes even with my anitibiotic regiment.

I hope you get more answers from you LLMD. GOOD LUCK!

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a lot of chest pains as well. Thanks to the suggestions on this board, I now know to take my Doxy at dinner time and not to lay down for 2 hours after taking it.

I also take Prevacid once a day. My chest pain turned out to be heartburn / acid reflux from the abx.

I don't know if this is what you have, but it may be something to consider.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after a number of er trips for chest pain i learned to take a bunch of tums or rolaids to see if that stops it

that is one of the things they do in the hosp

i have had two really big heart work ups tho and everything keeps looking fine even tho i get the chest pain. i have had these pains 25 yrs now. and my dad died of a heart attack so it is a little hard for me to ignor...but since i have had recent heart work ups come out ok i try the antacids first---they usually work very damatically to stop the pain

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was worried in the last year or so from pressure tightness and discomfort in chest area. This was really something new for me.

Over the years I had had many periods of painful ribs and anothe soreness but this was new.

All tests showed my heart to be fine. After several months that new group of annoying sx disappeared too.

It's so hard to know what lyme related, what's not, whats another lyme insignificant pain, what's not???????????????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of the things I experience too, and I've had the complete heart workup too--nothing wrong, according to cardiologist.

I go between Benadryl and aspirin for my symptoms if they get bad, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I just take it easy otherwise when I feel that way.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get chest pain. It went away after I was sufficiently treated for coinfections. I think, for me, it was a symptom of babesia and possibly bartonella also.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bridey79
Member # 24197

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Bridey79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get sharp pain in my left breast that feels like I am being stabbed with a hot knife. These symptoms come and go, but come on out of nowhere. If I am holding something I drop it, the pain is so intense. I guess its a symptom of either lyme, babesia or ehrlichiosis. Lucky me, I'm positive on all 3. [bonk]
Posts: 8 | From San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 2004 I had a complete cardiac work up in the hsopital for chest pain and they found nothing (except the chronic Lyme).

Subsequently I found on my own that the chest pain can be completely prevented by taking magnesium glycinate 400 mg twice a day. So I think the chest pain is due to Magnesium deficiency which is common with Lyme disease.
I haven't had any more chest pain since taking Magnesium every day.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though what you are experiencing is a VERY common symptom of Lyme Disease, I encourage you to become familiar with all of the potential symptoms of heart attacks. Men and women usually have different symptoms prior to heart attacks. If you have any doubt go to ER.

(Better to err on the side of caution. My sister died of a massive heart attack at age 42.)

Praying for you!

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks everyone- I had an ekg in early january and the doc said my heart is perfect.

that was before my Lyme diagnosis though. I wonder if he should have done some other tests too.

I am taking Magnesium everynight for the past few weeks. No change..we'll see what happens

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had this off/on now for 3-6 months and it is a new symptom for me.

I take Mag Malate every day as well as a slew of other things and it does not seem to make much of a difference.

It is by far one of the worst symptoms I have had as it also seems to impede breathing and make it feel "tight" and "constricted" in my chest.

Hope it passes for us all soon.

Best

Derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
purplemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for purplemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it is good to hear that chest pain is considered a common symptom of lyme.

I read a Dr. Jones article recently and he noted a common symptom in his pedi lyme patients was chest wall tenderness.

For me this has been excruiciating 24 hrs a day for the last 10 months. I'm finishing up 6 months of physical therapy. Before I knew it was lyme I went thru 2 rounds of steroid injections (6 to 8 shots each round), oral steroids, all kinds of anti-inflammatory drugs.

It has been agony. No MD I went to had evey had a patient with some chest pain--except maybe my LLMD. I'm wondering is it nerve issues? or did the lyme just seem to settle there?

Posts: 207 | From NH | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In his book Dr S says that chest pain can be a sign of Bartonella
Posts: 137 | From wethersfield ct | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With two of my young children, chest pain was most likely from babesia because it only happened when I stopped their Mepron for a week to see if they were better. Then the chest pain was there for a day until I restarted the Mepron, and it went away.

I think the leg muscle pain was either bart or babs with my children and it went away with treatment.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had chest tightness up into my neck every couple months for 3 years.

Once I thought it was a heart attack. Got checked out by cardiologist several months ago---whole battery of heart tests---said my heart was fine.

My LLMD says LD causes "all kinds of pains & goofy symptoms". Says the chest distress will resolve when we get LD under control.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement