LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Rocephin experience? Wanna share?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Rocephin experience? Wanna share?
mupersan
Member # 19683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mupersan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey.

I'm on my 4th week of IV Rocephin (4 grams a day, tuesday-friday, started with 2 grams the first week). Im feeling horrible with muscle twitches, heartpounding when I lay down, major fatigue, dizziness and increased derealization. All bloodtests and EKG are all fine.

Im also supposed to do Zithromax and Minocycline, but feel like my body is getting enough abx already.

Is this sideeffects? Herx? Both? Can I expect a turn soon?

Can any1 please write their experience with this med? Has any1 been on 4 g a day? Seems like every1 gets 2...

Thanks!

Posts: 39 | From Denmark | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi muperson, I was on 1 gram. The only side effect I had was very low B/P. I liked Rocephin.

It made me feel like me again. Good luck. I'm

sure someone will be here soon.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing 2 gr a day since last Aug with 1 month break. No side effects that you mention.

A few months back I did 2 gr 2x a day, 4 days on 3 off. Plus rifampin, mino, and malarone 2x a day. That was the month from hell for me.

Had D like crazy,no appetite at all, and couldn't remember anything. Did alot of walking in circles.

Not that it's been a whole lot, but I have had more improvement from rocephin than any of the orals. Don't forget, everyone is different.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
detox?

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
months of 4g of rocephin helped me a lot! wanna try it again soon.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 4th week was the worst. Then I started to feel better.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody go into remission from IV therapy?

I've heard from alot of people who do rocephin for 14 weeks and are "all done."

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV Rocephin gave me back my life.....4 grams per day for a very very very long time. Also tolerated some orals at the same time...Zith and plaquinel.

It took about three months before I started to get better. It was easy and painless regarding herxes.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why the herxs are typically non-existant with IV Rocephin.

Does it drive the sketes into cyst that fast.

Either way... I've heard a lot of people having success with IV therapy.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my 4th time on iv rocephin. The depersonalization is unreal. The three times I

got back to my life - started on 1/5 this time around and its not doing it as quickly as the

other 2 times. The first time it took nearly 6 mos. Joint pain, heart pound issues, also on

zithro and doxi, but the mind stuff is the worst

symptom for me. Good luck.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my 4th time on iv rocephin. The depersonalization is unreal. The three times I

got back to my life - started on 1/5 this time around and its not doing it as quickly as the

other 2 times. The first time it took nearly 6 mos. Joint pain, heart pound issues, also on

zithro and doxi, but the mind stuff is the worst

symptom for me. Good luck.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hopeful2010
Member # 22958

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hopeful2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putnam - If this is your 4th time on Rocephin, do you think it will stick this time?

I have been off and on Rocephin. I felt better on it but I began to develop systemic yeast and I was worried about gall stones.

I also thought that if the infection comes back every time I stop the drug it wasn't making much sense to stay on it. I didn't know if the bug had become resistent to the Rocephin.

What is the usual time frame that people stay on it to get well?

Posts: 86 | From California | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting ready to do IV Rocephin too. But my dr has only ordered 4-6 weeks of 2g daily. Is this long enough?

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW I would personally not invest the time, risk, $$ again in IV rocephin.

My oldest was on it for 5+ months and improvement finally came in month 3 (12+weeks) which was great.

But once she was off it, she slid right back down to square one. I know everyone is different and IV rocephin could be the catalyst for health for some but I just don't think it's the end-all, be-all.

The protocol that finally pushed my dd towards wellness was Schardt--diflucan/penicillin rotations. But we know this isn't the end-all, be-all either. It just happens to be working for her at least for now which is good enough for us.

Some normalcy has returned to her life after years of sickness.

Everyone is different and there are so many other things to take into account.

As a mom I feel for all parents of sick kids. There is nothing worse than seeing your child/children suffer.

muperson I am sorry that I veered off-topic here.
4gms rocephin seems like a lot to me but I am not a doctor.

Please get yourself evaluated for coinfections.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I did 4g too, but after 2 weks my llmd discontinued the med due to new DX of gallstones. I developed major GI symptoms. I just had my gallbladder out this past July. I doubt I will ever want to try rocephin again.

--------------------
Bullsye rash: 1994, tx w/ ABT,
Symptomatic:1999
Hospitalization: 2004
Equivocol results (specialy lab) resulting in chronic use of ABT, herbs, etc ever since.
Severity of symptoms continue to worsen intermittingly.

Posts: 140 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9 1/2 months, and when I stopped I took a nosedive. The fatigue was overwhelming.
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on my second round of IV rocephin. The first was 4 weeks rocehin 2gm a day with nothing else...no cyst busters. Relapse shortly after stopping.

Now I am on IV rocephin, 4 gm 4 days a week, zith 500mg/day and pulsing flagyl every weekend. I am having MAJOR full body muscle twitches and heart palps.

For those of you that have done rocephin and relapsed...did you just do rocephin or did you also use a cyst buster? When you came off rocephin, did you follow it up with high dose orals or anything? I feel like rocephin is a great lyme drug, but should not be used alone. It will encourage lyme to go into cyst or L-forms; therefore it is recommended to use rocephin in a combination antibiotic protocal.

I am not expecting a cure on this protocal, (altough it would be nice). My expectation is to lower the pathogen load and then switch to orals or IM. I am in no hurry to come off IV.

Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kimmie you are taking the right protocoll just use ursodill to protect you gallbladder and yes Diflucan to controll yeast. Just Rocephin alone for 2 months 2 gr everyday put me in remision but relapsed shortly after.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maradona, thanks for the encouraging words. Funny thing is, I felt so good on just 2gm rocephin daily, 90% better. Than by upping the rocephin dose and adding in all the others, I feel worse. (still better than before treatment thank God). I have been terrible with my diet...that is changing today and I am adding in GSE. Thanks again
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement