LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How many on here Dx'd with RA ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How many on here Dx'd with RA ?
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RA and lyme are very difficult to separate. Has anyone been able to do it?
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomasx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thomasx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone that went down the RA path. This person's RA doc said it kind of looks like RA, but not. When he told me his symptoms, I remember that had a bullseye on his forearm which he thought was a spider bite. I suggested that he get an Igenex test. He was CDC positive for Lyme. He has been treating the Lyme and has indicated that he's improving.
Posts: 386 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My GP suggested it and tried to send me to an arthritis doctor, because of my joint pain, but I refused to go because I knew that wasn't what it was.

Then I got diagnosed with Lyme by my LLMD.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us have been told we have RA based on the inaccurate blood testing most doctors do who do not know how to diagnose and treat Lyme.

It's basically a symptom indicator for Lyme...not a disease in itself. Something is CAUSING the RA..usually an infection like Lyme.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came to a lyme/babesia diagnosis, by way of Reactive Arthritis. Started on AP protocol for RA, and wasn't improving. None of the RA markers were positive, but now I know it's lyme arthritis.

My knee and ankle swelling has been getting better with babesia treatment. There are a lot of people with autoimmune diseases (see roadback.org) that find out they have lyme. Ultimately, lyme treatment cures the autoimmune response.

Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

A nurse that treats lots of Amish with lyme taught that RA is a stage of lyme.
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyna3495     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The RA reference I made was to indicate Rheumatoid Artheritis, and its laboratory diagnosis and later being infected with Lyme and company and what the specific difference in sympyoms might be.
Posts: 160 | From Mid-east USA | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dyna, there are many threads on this topic, so if you don't get much response in this one, do check the archives with a search and you will get plenty of info.

I was diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis, but I was sero-negative at the time (not sure how I would test now).

It was a clinical diagnosis, based on bilateral swelling, redness, pain, and heat in the small joints and wrists of both hands, and my feet.

While chasing the RA diagnsis and treatment (and later an added Fibromyalgia and CFS and even possible MS diagnosis thrown in!), my Lyme arthritis (and other symptoms) worsened. The arthritis ended up in every joint I can think of, head to toe, including my spine.

My joint pain *and swelling* has greatly improved with Lyme treatment. I no longer have periods where I can't stand or walk. I can write again, type again, and even do artwork again.

The pain is still there, but it comes and goes, is not as bad, and is not nearly as debilitating as it was before I started Lyme treatment.

At its worst, my joint pain was exactly how I would imagine being tortured on "the rack" would feel. I was screaming and crying at the top of my lungs in agony.

So glad I didn't trust the diagnosis, and looked further.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RA is overdiagnosed...since many have no clue they really have Lyme as the basis.

www.roadback.org

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammy07
Member # 17627

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammy07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im with you Nanet. Was in severe pain for over 10 years.They said I had RA I said I got bit by a tick.They would test me for lyme and they said I didnt have it. Finally found out about LLMD from the roadback.Best website ever.Started LDN with DR.H. Swelling has improved remarkably.I have a long road ahead but have improved 60% in a year.
Posts: 16 | From Watertown, MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dyna3495
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24126

The question is how to treat both simutaniously, to minimize destruction of the synovial layer of the joints involved.
massman
Unregistered

Would you like a referral to a Lyme Literate Naturopathic Doctor in WV that has had very good success with some lyme patients ? She is about 30 to 40 miles from you ? PM me if interested.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement