LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does a babs herx cause anxiety?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does a babs herx cause anxiety?
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking amox, biaxin, plaquinel and just started malarone 1/4 of a 250 mg pill a week ago.

I have periods of panic, with a physical feeling of something pumping through my veins so it's not just anxiety.

During the bad episodes, i shake with chills and it lasts usually 1 hour 20 mins.

Its definately happening 2-3 times per day and I believe it always happens 1 hr after taking Malarone in addition to during the day.

Since I am unsure of whether it started right after beginning Malarone, I am unsure of whether its symptoms or a herx.

I did have these symptoms before, but my husband says I am complaining of theem much much more recently.

I am afraid of taking more of my malarone for fear of going nuts. But, if its symptoms, then I won't get better. How can I tell?

I thought herx was usually flu like.

Help? [Smile] Thanks

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A herx can be lots of things. It is often completely neurological for me - major anxiety, sometimes panic attacks, depression -

I think it could be a symptom, but more likely to be a herx.

When I first started treatment, my herxes made me feel so crazy I thought I was losing my mind.

It shall pass...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Malarone and Mepron can cause anxiety and/or depression. I think more Babs patients complain about the depression (which for me has been profound on a Mepron/Malarone combo, but was that way on Malarone alone), but I've had a few days of anxiety when I first started it (yes, with the physical symptoms, not just mood), and a good friend of mine had unbearable anxiety on Mepron.

Even the package insert mentions mood changes or some such thing and they aren't talking about herxes. We have to deal with both medication side effects and die-off.

A herx does not have to be flu-like. My Bartonella herxes are bizarre uncontrollable movements, electric shocks, anxiety, etc.

Can you Lyme doctor or another doctor prescribe something for the anxiety?

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurisabelle222     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, thansk for the info.

I tested my theory and didnt take the malarone last night and felt great last night and totally fine today.

I put a call in to the Dr. to see what he wants me to do- whether to take the full dose and take more xanax or gradually move up.

Interestingly enough, i had a similiar reaction to Bactrim last yr. The intense tingling, pumping through my vein anxiety attacks along with hearing things in my sleep that wake me up- door bells for one, that when I wake up to check, noone is there...

What do you think of that?

Posts: 319 | From nj | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you are supporting adrenals through all of this.

The heavy abx's and supplements and die-offs can cause a toll on the adrenals.

Adrenal Fatigue/exhaustion can cause A LOT of symptoms.

Especially anxiety, depression,....

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurisabelle222
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16591

How do I do that?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement