LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Now my ears are weird.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Now my ears are weird.
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I just made a phone call, and when I hung up, my ear--the one I had the phone up to--feels like it's plugged up or something.

I can't get it to pop, and it doesn't hurt.

But when I breathe in, I can hear the echo of the air going in.

WTH? I certainly hope this isn't related to the going off the Rifampin, although I've had a laundry list of things going on in the 2 weeks since I stopped, but every day is something different.

I'm just wondering if it could be something different, because both my boys have ear infections, although they also both had colds/bronchitis for the past week or so.

Ugh, I hate overanalyzing everything.....

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had ear problems on and off for over a year now. I think they are fairly common with lyme. My troubles are always in the right ear.

The other day, it started feeling plugged, whooshing sound to my heartbeat, and crackling and popping like it always does when it starts up.

Usually I ignore it till it goes away after a week or so.

This time, I decided to try something different and picked up a bulb syringe. I flushed the ear with warm water while I was in the tub. I've never done this before because I was always afraid to put something in my ear and have never had wax problems.

After about 4-5 flushes, two small objects came out. One a little bigger than the other. They were not waxy looking. They looked like compressed sawdust and were hard to break apart.

After thinking about it, I realize that for the past two years, I've been pruning a lot of trees on our property. I can remember having my hair up, sawing away at branches above me, and the sawdust would be flying in my eyes, nose, ears, hair....

I bet I had sawdust in there for a year or two. Isn't that crazy? And now my ear feels great. No more crackling or whooshing.

So anyway, I know my story is odd but you could have something as simple as a wax buildup, whatever your kids have had, water trapped in there, etc.

Or it could be caused by the meds, lyme itself, or something a bit more serious along those lines.

If I were you, I'd let my llmd know at my next visit. I usually keep a journal with symptoms that pop up.

In the meantime though, I'd try to do the warm water flushing in case there is something trapped in there.

If it doesn't go away in a couple/few days or progresses to something more, I think calling your llmd would be a good idea.

I hope it resolves for you!

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
You don't mention having just started a new medicine. But, if so,
go back and read all the side-effects. Some drugs have this effect and, when so, early counteractions are good.

Since your boys have some stuff going on right now, you might load up on Vitamin C, etc., in case this is the first sign that you may be catching something from the young lads.

If taken at the first sign, Lomatium extract really helps me to ward off things like this. Allicin (garlic), too, works like a charm to open my ears but also ward off a tickle in the throat.

All this is from what various ear doctors have taught me over many ears ;-)

As Topaz suggests, If you have been exposed to lots of dust, etc, GENTLE warm water flushing can help but if, by any chance, one has a tear in the ear drum, that can be dangerous. You don't mention dealing with an ear infection that might be bulging your ear drum or anything, but just for future reference.

Using a NETI POT might be good to use first. It can help relieve pressure in the ears that might be coming from sinus inflammation or excess mucous in that area. There are several links you can find from Google - or search NET POT on www.mercola.com for video

Avoid ear drops if the ear feels stuffed as they can add to the problem. You can put one drop of a garlic/olive oil formula on a cotton ball and gently place that in your ear, though.

Ear doctors can take also look and do a flush if they think one is needed. You also may have some ear excess wax that needs to be removed professionally.

Although a gentle warm water flush can help, too, but most ear doctors would say it's best for a doctor to look first before irrigating. I try to be very independent but I've never figured out how to look into my own ear for such purposes. If this continues, I suggest seeing a ear doctor.

My guess is that it is inflammation is causing this. That it happened right after a phone call indicates that the pulsation of the sound was hurting tender ear tissue that is inflamed (due to any number of reasons).

Be sure to avoid wearing headphones today and especially avoid ear pods like with ipod. Also be sure to wear ear plugs with a hair dryer and plugs or muffs around a vacuum, etc.

After trying to force "pop" my ear in an ear doctor's office one day, the doctor firmly told me to NEVER try to pop ear with force, that is, such as holding your nose and blowing hard - that can force gummy, infected stuff further into places it should not be.

That can be dangerous to the tender tissue and nerves that may be inflamed. As this just now happened, my guess is that it will clear soon.

It could be changes in your weather - barometric pressure can put pressure on ears.

However, here are some GENTLE things to help open up a stuffy ear:

HOT TEA, hot soups, etc. Ginger with fresh lemon is good. The warmth can move mucous and phlegm along and also relieve pressure by increasing circulation. GINGER CAPSULES will offer a stronger level of help, too.

If you can tolerate eating spicy foods, go for it as they will often open up ears. Chinese mustard is an old stand-by in that regard.

Anti-inflammatory supplements like turmeric (curcumin), pomegranate, ginger, noni, etc.

Did you just eat a new food? It's best to avoid all dairy, gluten and corn as those cause increase in phlegm and mucous in sinuses and that puts pressure on the ears. Dairy, especially, is very hard on the ears.

Yawn.

Remove any new items in your surroundings that might be scented (new soaps or shampoo - toss out all scented air fresheners) - if you new things have chemical finishing on them (textiles, furniture, anything newly dry cleaned, etc.) - air out your house (even if it's cold, sometimes new fabrics cause ear trouble).

Review your liver support as that helps the ears. Magnesium is very important, too to help the liver and the ears.

Do some lymph neck massage - and exercises, just bounce gently on a PT ball or mini trampoline or sort of "bounce in place" with feet not really even leaving ground.

Then, lie down on your side with the stuffy ear facing the ceiling. This can help it open up, too.

This will probably clear up soon. With the dietary avoidances, this may open up soon.
-

[ 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that a lot, feels like all of a sudden my ear gets plugged like theres water in it then it goes....I dont know which infection causes ear symptoms, I also have tinnitus and stabbing pain in my right ear........nothing really help for me it just goes as wuick as it come.....

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.jalanetipot.com/

JALA NETI - the Practice of Sinus Irrigation

=============================

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

Video: 2 minutes showing Neti Pot use AND some great exercises that will also help open your ears.

(Now, I'd not use water straight from the hot water tap, but boil filtered water and let it cool first, then add a little sea salt. Use while water is still warm to the touch.)

While a Neti Pot is handy, you can do this with a sturdy glass measuring cup with a lip or even a very small tea pot. If you buy a Net Pot, do not use plastic. One that is white porcelain is best. Most pharmacies carry them.

=============================

http://www.seagateproducts.com/olive-leaf-nasal-spray.html

Seagate Olive Leaf NASAL Spray

-----------------------

http://www.seagateproducts.com/earache-remedy.html

Seagate Earache Remedy

Seagate utilizes six homeopathic ingredients as the actives: Verbascum, Plantago major, Kali mur, Chamomilla, Belladonna and Aconitum napellus in a base of Olive Leaf Extract and Grapefruit Seed Extract.
-

[ 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone.

The ear thing just kind of resolved itself a few hours ago. No idea what that was all about. Weird...

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc said try sweet oil for protection. It is working for me.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement